+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS Requirement???

yogeshddd

Oct 12, 2010
Hello,

I am an Indian National currently staying here in Canada on a 1 year work-permit. The job position was approved by HSRDC. I am interested in applying for Permanent Residency after my employer has offered to make my position permanent. I checked the residency calculator for eligibility and it turns out that my score comes to 71 without taking my language ability into consideration. Does that mean I can give IELTS the miss?

I know i am being lazy here but i would love avoid having to spend $285, a Sunday afternoon and having to await a full month (for test taking and score report) before I can shoot my PR application.

I had to take TOEFL last November (2009) and scored 110/120. I had earlier taken TOEFL and GRE in 2006 and scored 110/120 and 1360/1600 plus 4.5/6 in essay writing respectively. I have the original score reports for all these tests. Can I use them with my application. Is there any other way for me to convince the visa officer about my English ability?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

yogeshddd said:
Hello,

I am an Indian National currently staying here in Canada on a 1 year work-permit. The job position was approved by HSRDC. I am interested in applying for Permanent Residency after my employer has offered to make my position permanent. I checked the residency calculator for eligibility and it turns out that my score comes to 71 without taking my language ability into consideration. Does that mean I can give IELTS the miss?

I know i am being lazy here but i would love avoid having to spend $285, a Sunday afternoon and having to await a full month (for test taking and score report) before I can shoot my PR application.

I had to take TOEFL last November (2009) and scored 110/120. I had earlier taken TOEFL and GRE in 2006 and scored 110/120 and 1360/1600 plus 4.5/6 in essay writing respectively. I have the original score reports for all these tests. Can I use them with my application. Is there any other way for me to convince the visa officer about my English ability?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!
1. You don't have a choice, everyone must take either IELTs or CELPIP.

App

Star Member
Dec 11, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-03-2011
Doc's Request.
Included with application
IELTS Request
Over all 7.5 (Included with application)
File Transfer...
not yet
Med's Request
not yet
Med's Done....
not yet
Interview........
not yet
Passport Req..
not yet
VISA ISSUED...
not yet
LANDED..........
not yet
Hi
I am in the same boat regarding IELTS.
I took TOEFl, and GRE for my studies in USA.
I even got a Masters degree in USA.
However I was told by the seniors of this form to take IELTS.
Even IELTS older than 1 year doesnot work.
I see there is no other choice.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Right. Those are the rules for the skilled worker program as they are now. Everybody must take IELTS or CELPIP. Even native English speakers. They are doing this because they at some point got very tired of reading through written submissions of people who claimed to have excellent English skills only to find out during interviews that they really didn't so they simplified the rules.

yogeshddd

Oct 12, 2010
Thanks guys!

Can I at least submit my application now and submit the IELTS test results a month later?

Also can you please let me know as to how long will this entire PR process take? Weirdly, I am unable to trace this information on the CIC website.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, can't do that either because they also got tired of people who applied and then couldn't come up with the supporting documents within the time limit. Now you have to send them all and if your IELTS is missing, they'll return your application to you as incomplete.

App

Star Member
Dec 11, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-03-2011
Doc's Request.
Included with application
IELTS Request
Over all 7.5 (Included with application)
File Transfer...
not yet
Med's Request
not yet
Med's Done....
not yet
Interview........
not yet
Passport Req..
not yet
VISA ISSUED...
not yet
LANDED..........
not yet
Hi Yogesh,

Its a requirement that you need to submit your IELTS original score report along with your application.
I agree with Leon.
Your application may be sent back as it is incomplete.

yogeshddd

Oct 12, 2010
Guys,

One quick question. As I mentioned earlier, i already have 71 pts without taking the language ability into consideration. I am giving my IELTS tmrw. Can you please tell me the minimum IELTS band score that i need to secure in each of the four sections so that i can go ahead with my PR application? I am applying under 'Federal Skilled category with Arranged Employment' option. If my score drops in one or two sections, will it be an issue?

Thanks a lot,
Yogesh