+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS Required or Not

KingS1

Feb 22, 2009
Hi,

I am planning to apply under the FSW category 1. The form schedule 3 question 6 asks whether one has taken the approved test to assess the english language proficiency. I have not yet taken the IELTS test but plan to do so. I have the following questions

1. Should I take the test, English is not my native language but all my education has been in english and also during my Engineering I had the Comm skills language subject in the first semester. I am in US for the past 2 years and English is the social language here.

2. If I have to take the test, Can I send the application and take the test later, if so, what do i write in Question 6. A No and say that I plan to as soon as I get the dates or should I wait and send the application along with my IELTS score.

Thanks in Advance

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
1) yes you should take it. thats my opinion. you dont have to take it before you send it to sydney. can someone confirm that.

2) fill in no that you havent taken it and put in enough score to get you to 67 points. When you do it later, then make sure you get that or better.

Tarry

Star Member
Sep 22, 2008
Hi KingS1,

It is advisable to take IELTS since English is not your first language. The reason is, with the test, the officer who is handling your case will not base on his own judgement to award you the points. The risk of not taking the test and leaving the judgement in the hands of the officer is that, should incase he has a bad day and in a bad mood, you might end up paying for that. So it is recommended you take the test so that there is no doubt on the points to awarded.

Good Luck!!

KingS1

Feb 22, 2009
Well Thanks Guys...So one thing is clear that I should take the test and I have decided that I will.

Now, if I say No in Question 6 where they ask the test details, Do i have to write in the seperate sheet that I will be taking it as soon as the dates are available or wait till i get my result to send along with my application.

Has someone had the same experience and if things worked out fine.

Regards

charmeuse

Jan 15, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 10, 2008
AOR Received.
September 3, 2008
Med's Request
December 12, 2009
Med's Done....
December 24, 2009
Interview........
November 9, 2009
Passport Req..
December 12, 2009. Recd. by CHC on Jan 15, 2010.
VISA ISSUED...
February 4, 2010. E-cas status changed on 9 Feb, recd on 10 Feb.
LANDED..........
Smooth landing on June 26, 2010.
KingS1,

I cleared the first stage at Sydney, NS. Here's what I did - I answered yes to question 6 and explained in the cover letter how I had a recent TOEFL iBT score of 117/120. I claimed full points for English. Then once I got the go-ahead for the second stage, I booked and took the IELTS exam. I should get the results within the next 10 days and will still be able to send all the supporting docs way ahead of the 120-day deadline.

If you're waiting for the IELTS results to come, you will be delaying your application for another 1 month at least. God knows when the rules will change! So, send it in ASAP.

The only risk is, you are sort of gambling with the claimed points. If you are confident you can achieve them, you can do what I did. Also, the IELTS test centre should have dates available for this strategy to work. How many points do you need in English, anyway?

KingS1

Feb 22, 2009
Hi All,

Thanks for your inputs. My score is 71 after adding 16 language points. No proficiency in French. So where do I stand? Also is that possible to send the application and say that test will be taken and score will be sent. If so, what is the procedure of sending the score at a later stage to Nova scotia.

Thanks Again

charmeuse

Jan 15, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 10, 2008
AOR Received.
September 3, 2008
Med's Request
December 12, 2009
Med's Done....
December 24, 2009
Interview........
November 9, 2009
Passport Req..
December 12, 2009. Recd. by CHC on Jan 15, 2010.
VISA ISSUED...
February 4, 2010. E-cas status changed on 9 Feb, recd on 10 Feb.
LANDED..........
Smooth landing on June 26, 2010.
You don't need to send the test scores to NS at all. It should be sent to your respective country's visa office at the second stage.

BobbyB

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
KingS1 said:
Hi All,

Thanks for your inputs. My score is 71 after adding 16 language points. No proficiency in French. So where do I stand? Also is that possible to send the application and say that test will be taken and score will be sent. If so, what is the procedure of sending the score at a later stage to Nova scotia.

Thanks Again
Do your Arithmetic:

71-16=55
so u have 55 points (SOLID) before claiming proficiency in the First Language (in this case ENGLISH)

So u will need a minimum of 67-55=12 points in English to reach the minimum of 67 points required by CIC.

Now u can decide for yourself whether you want to do the IELTS or write a letter to prove otherwise.

My Recommendation/Personal View: Since u require 12 points, writing to prove this might be hmm ???????.

(Make sure u get 14 to 16 points if you are not sure of your other points).

KingS1

Feb 22, 2009
Thanks Everyone,

I was just busy getting all the letters and completing the documents. Charmeuse, You have said that I dont have to send the IELTS test result to Nova scotia and it is required to be sent in the second stage but the schedule 3 form asks for 'Provide evidence for your proficiency in Canada's official language'.

So, Could someone please clarify whether the result needs to sent along with the application.

Thanks Once Again

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
Those application forms are used in the first and second round. Those instructions are really there for the second round.