+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS OR CELPIP?

jaspersun0106

Jul 13, 2019
About 4 years ago, I did 2-times IELTS-A tests.
Now I am planning to get the new language test again to apply PNP next year.
I tried a sample CELPIP test and feels ok.
So should I pick CELPIP -G? or Still try IELTS -G?
If I pick CELPIP, what study materials are needed? Should I buy their official materials? (150$ with a 3-month subscription)

Thanks all and wish you all get the good score.

De_Ddk

Jul 22, 2019
About 4 years ago, I did 2-times IELTS-A tests.
Now I am planning to get the new language test again to apply PNP next year.
I tried a sample CELPIP test and feels ok.
So should I pick CELPIP -G? or Still try IELTS -G?
If I pick CELPIP, what study materials are needed? Should I buy their official materials? (150$ with a 3-month subscription)

Thanks all and wish you all get the good score.
I've taken IELTS G once and have been studying it for a while, but now I'm studying for CELPIP G as I decided to take the latter this time. Some people say there is no difference in terms of difficulty between the two, but honestly, I've found CELPIP way easier.

As it can be almost impossible to find free material for CELPIP on the internet, I decided to invest my money and purchasing the 3-month subscription. It is pretty expensive in my point of view, but still, extremely helpful, at least for me.

After all, it is an investment, right!? :)

imusi

Star Member
Jun 3, 2019
Passport Req..
15-01-2020
I’ve heard it from others saying CELPIP is easier especially for writing and speaking part... some said listening is a bit harder than IELTS.

I have no experience on CELPIP at all but I think you should also consider your previous IELTS test experience - what was your band score back then and how confident are you now in getting a desired score.

For me I went for IELTS because I am very familiar with the test structure and what the examiners are looking for (I sat a couple of IELTS-A 8-9 years ago) and I am confident in getting my desired band score within a couple of months... so I thought there’s no need for me to switch to a different test - and I did manage to get CLB9 on my 2nd IELTS attempt. So you really need to consider your personal specific condition to decide which test to go for.

jaspersun0106

Jul 13, 2019
I’ve heard it from others saying CELPIP is easier especially for writing and speaking part... some said listening is a bit harder than IELTS.

I have no experience on CELPIP at all but I think you should also consider your previous IELTS test experience - what was your band score back then and how confident are you now in getting a desired score.

For me I went for IELTS because I am very familiar with the test structure and what the examiners are looking for (I sat a couple of IELTS-A 8-9 years ago) and I am confident in getting my desired band score within a couple of months... so I thought there’s no need for me to switch to a different test - and I did manage to get CLB9 on my 2nd IELTS attempt. So you really need to consider your personal specific condition to decide which test to go for.
For PNP apply, only clb5 should be ok. But I'm trying to get clb7 or higher. Ps: I got 6 overall of the previous IELTS -A tests.

jaspersun0106

Jul 13, 2019
I've taken IELTS G once and have been studying it for a while, but now I'm studying for CELPIP G as I decided to take the latter this time. Some people say there is no difference in terms of difficulty between the two, but honestly, I've found CELPIP way easier.

As it can be almost impossible to find free material for CELPIP on the internet, I decided to invest my money and purchasing the 3-month subscription. It is pretty expensive in my point of view, but still, extremely helpful, at least for me.

After all, it is an investment, right!? :)
did you already take the CELPIP Test? How was it? Yeah, I know the official study books are expensive. But if 2 free tests are enough I will not pay for that extra.

imusi

Star Member
Jun 3, 2019
Passport Req..
15-01-2020
For PNP apply, only clb5 should be ok. But I'm trying to get clb7 or higher. Ps: I got 6 overall of the previous IELTS -A tests.
I believe IELTS LRWS 6666 = CLB 7. So your previous IELTS-A result is almost there and considering the reading & writing part in IELTS-G are easier than IELTS-A you should be just fine.

BTW I just noticed your username - are you a Chinese?

De_Ddk

Jul 22, 2019
did you already take the CELPIP Test? How was it? Yeah, I know the official study books are expensive. But if 2 free tests are enough I will not pay for that extra.
Not yet, I'm taking it beginning of next month.
I thought of doing the same, only taking the 2 free tests, but honestly, it didn't make me feel comfortable enough to get out there and do the test.

I made the maths: it would cost me at least CAD280 more to take a second CELPIP in case I didn't do well enough in the first one. So, I decided to invest CAD150 on improving myself to increase my chances for the very first time.

Try the free tests and see how you feel.

jaspersun0106

Jul 13, 2019
I believe IELTS LRWS 6666 = CLB 7. So your previous IELTS-A result is almost there and considering the reading & writing part in IELTS-G are easier than IELTS-A you should be just fine.

BTW I just noticed your username - are you a Chinese?
yes im Chinese. what up?

jaspersun0106

Jul 13, 2019
Not yet, I'm taking it beginning of next month.
I thought of doing the same, only taking the 2 free tests, but honestly, it didn't make me feel comfortable enough to get out there and do the test.

I made the maths: it would cost me at least CAD280 more to take a second CELPIP in case I didn't do well enough in the first one. So, I decided to invest CAD150 on improving myself to increase my chances for the very first time.

Try the free tests and see how you feel.
yeah, im thinking it now, but i might buy only 1-3 set combo. 6 full tests are enough i guess. lol

RyanNguyen

Aug 4, 2018
yeah, im thinking it now, but i might buy only 1-3 set combo. 6 full tests are enough i guess. lol
Hi buddy,
Honestly, just buy the last set (number 7 or 6) is good enough. Trust me, I took all of them already. I know how benefit and useful they are. They are completely easier than the real exam. The number 6 in the whole set (last time I bought, the number 7 wasn't released yet) is the most difficult, and similar level with the real exam. Of course, their practice questions will not be real questions, the benefit is that you will get used to tone of recorder (the ppl doing recording audio are the same). It's the only benefit that I got. Their writing samples aren't trust at all. I read through all of them, applied the same, but got only 6 band on the second occasion while without using such thing, I had got 7 at the first try (funny rite?).
Good luck.

hakweye

Star Member
Nov 16, 2016
Based on my experience,
CELPIP Reading and listening easier compared to IELTS

IELTS speaking is relatively easier compared to CELPIP

Writing is a toss up, CELPIP has spell check and IELTS doesn’t. CELPIP topic tend to be easier than IELTS but IELTS scoring is bit relaxed than CELPIP

jaspersun0106

Jul 13, 2019
Hi buddy,
Honestly, just buy the last set (number 7 or 6) is good enough. Trust me, I took all of them already. I know how benefit and useful they are. They are completely easier than the real exam. The number 6 in the whole set (last time I bought, the number 7 wasn't released yet) is the most difficult, and similar level with the real exam. Of course, their practice questions will not be real questions, the benefit is that you will get used to tone of recorder (the ppl doing recording audio are the same). It's the only benefit that I got. Their writing samples aren't trust at all. I read through all of them, applied the same, but got only 6 band on the second occasion while without using such thing, I had got 7 at the first try (funny rite?).
Good luck.
Thank you a lot for share your experience, so should I just buy set 6 and set 7 ($35 each)? You said the set tests are easier than the real tests for which part? I also searching for some videos on youtube to teach how to write the writing parts, is that helpful?

jaspersun0106

Jul 13, 2019
Based on my experience,
CELPIP Reading and listening easier compared to IELTS

IELTS speaking is relatively easier compared to CELPIP

Writing is a toss up, CELPIP has spell check and IELTS doesn’t. CELPIP topic tend to be easier than IELTS but IELTS scoring is bit relaxed than CELPIP
yes, I heard a lot of people said CELPIP's listening and reading parts are easier than IELTS. Why do you feel like CELPIP's speaking part is harder than IELTS's? Because of the face to monitor or have more questions than IELTS?

Last edited: