IELTS Request
TEF: C1/ B2 IELTS: Band 8
Med's Done....
24-06-2019
Got my result:

LRWS 8.5/8.5/7.5/6.5

Is it advisable to have a remark for speaking? Thanks
Hello,

Where did you take the exam? I can not see my results yet.

I think you should apply for a remark. There's a 2 band difference between Speaking and Listening.

meg1105

Apr 10, 2017
I took the exam in Singapore. Result was released around 10:30am.

Hello,

I think you should apply for a remark. There's a 2 band difference between Speaking and Listening.

baxa1981

May 29, 2012
Got my result:

LRWS 8.5/8.5/7.5/6.5

Is it advisable to have a remark for speaking? Thanks
Well, how confident are you about the way the test went? Do you have an accent? How thick it is? Did you speak fast? If you answer is no, you might have a chance to get higher score.

Did you use idioms? Did you use topic specific words for section 2? Did you use less common words? If the answer is yes for each one, again you might get higher score.

But also, I think the further the markers are different from a native speaker, the more likely that the results could be different because head office most likely has native speakers as markers, whereas your local one has local markers. (My local marker seems to be obsessed with people saying "uhmm..". You say that and he will take off 2 bands, insane right? But I have seen model answers where people say "uhmm.." and still get 8, 8.5, 9). This is purely my speculation.

baxa1981

May 29, 2012
I took the exam in Singapore. Result was released around 10:30am.
If you have the time and money, it would be a good experiment to see. I think Singapore is pretty competitive in terms of education, so your marker was probably tough as well. In that case, you might have a good chance.

Reactions: meg1105

meg1105

Apr 10, 2017
I think I did well. For the cue card I talked about the President of the Philippines. You think spearheaded, extra judicial killing, haven't meet in person, unlike the typical politicians are common words?

Well, how confident are you about the way the test went? Do you have an accent? How thick it is? Did you speak fast? If you answer is no, you might have a chance to get higher score.

Did you use idioms? Did you use topic specific words for section 2? Did you use less common words? If the answer is yes for each one, again you might get higher score.

But also, I think the further the markers are different from a native speaker, the more likely that the results could be different because head office most likely has native speakers as markers, whereas your local one has local markers. (My local marker seems to be obsessed with people saying "uhmm..". You say that and he will take off 2 bands, insane right? But I have seen model answers where people say "uhmm.." and still get 8, 8.5, 9). This is purely my speculation.

baxa1981

May 29, 2012
Hello,

I don't think there is good correlation between speaking and listening. I got 8.5 in L and 6.5 in S, applied for re-evaluation, no luck. Although it was a different test, but very similar. I think better indicator is writing. He has 7.5, which is very good but not stellar. So I would say 50/50 chance.

baxa1981

May 29, 2012
I think I did well. For the cue card I talked about the President of the Philippines. You think spearheaded, extra judicial killing, haven't meet in person, unlike the typical politicians are common words?
Less common words is just one of the criteria. What about the other questions?

As I said, if you have time and money, why not?

meg1105

Apr 10, 2017
Less common words is just one of the criteria. What about the other questions?

As I said, if you have time and money, why not?
I really cannot assess how fast I talked that time but after the exam I'm confident that I did well. This is my second attempt and the first one I scored 7.5 in speaking

baxa1981

May 29, 2012
I really cannot assess how fast I talked that time but after the exam I'm confident that I did well. This is my second attempt and the first one I scored 7.5 in speaking
This is why I hate IELTS, so inconsistent in writing and speaking.

Reactions: meg1105