+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS General Test July 7th, 2018 - North America (BC + IDP)

jeevinsanju

Star Member
Jul 2, 2018
Hello, how is writing with everybody? I always lose the 0.5 and it costs me so much
I'm not that great but managed a 7 last time and hoping to get the same or better this time. Result due on 14th July. The important part with writing is structuring the content properly.
I just follow some basics which work:
  • Do not use words like don't, won't, can't etc.. instead write do not, cannot, would not
  • Do not write big statements, try and break it into two
  • When asked about opinion in task 2, definitely state your opinion whether you agree, disagree or partially both (yes you can do this, if you can write examples)
  • Vocabulary - try not to use repeating words. For example, if you write nervous, try using another word in next sentence like anxious, tensed etc or if you cannot think any other words, write nervousness and write your statement accordingly, this will tell examiner that you know how to get around with using words.
  • Do not get carried away once you start writing, instead take 3-4 minutes before starting to write and make some bullet points in question paper on what you want to write and elaborate on that topic while writing. The more points you make, the better, you can use those accordingly to construct your statements.
  • Start paragraphs with good sentences and make sure your statements are relevant always to the topic. Do not deviate away.

Reactions: jessoabr

kkgk1925

Jul 3, 2018
I'm not that great but managed a 7 last time and hoping to get the same or better this time. Result due on 14th July. The important part with writing is structuring the content properly.
  • Do not use words like don't, won't, can't etc.. instead write do not, cannot, would not
  • When asked about opinion in task 2, definitely state your opinion whether you agree, disagree or partially both (yes you can do this, if you can write examples)
  • Vocabulary - try not to use repeating words. For example, if you write nervous, try using another word in next sentence like anxious, tensed etc or if you cannot think any other words, write nervousness and write your statement accordingly, this will tell examiner that you know how to get around with using words.
  • Do not get carried away once you start writing, instead take 3-4 minutes before starting to write and make some bullet points in question paper on what you want to write and elaborate on that topic while writing. The more points you make, the better, you can use those accordingly to construct your statements.
  • Start paragraphs with good sentences and make sure your statements are relevant always to the topic. Do not deviate away.

This is my 3rd attempt. I am also stuck with 7.5 in listening. All other sections are ok with me. All i can say about listening is we have to make first 2 sections are best with no mistakes. In multiple choice questions, try to get answer by elimination technique. When we read questions, try to remember any one particular work from the question to find out the answer. And of course it is all about concentration. I have realized that when we miss one answer our next
Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do about listening other than practicing. One tip that I would suggest is pay attention to fill in the blank type answers, where you need to write TWO or THREE max words. Small things like 'fruit' instead of 'a fruit' or 'envelope' instead of 'an envelope' are also marked incorrect by examiners. So, when there is requirement for more than one word, these details need to be noticed while answering. Also, you cannot answer 'dress' when the audio stated it as 'black dress' for two word answer.. this is also considered wrong depending on how the question is asked.

Sometimes it is pure luck.. even 4th section is easy and straight forward. Most times answering depends on types of questions.... like choosing A,B,C answers and Maps (sometimes) can be challenging. Need to pay special attention to these, rest are relatively easy. Hope it helps.

This is my 3rd attempt. I am also stuck with 7.5 in listening. All other sections are ok with me. All I can say about listening is we have to make first 2 sections, best with no mistakes. In multiple choice questions, try to get answer by elimination technique. When we read questions, try to remember any one particular word from the question to find out the answer. Yes it is rightly said that always try to fill with maximum number of words but not disturbing the grammar of the sentence like using the, an or as per the speaker. And of course it is all about concentration. I have realized that when we miss one answer our next questions are also missed. I am trying to improve on that. I have wasted too much money on just improving my listening. I hope I get atleast 8 this time.

jessoabr

Star Member
May 14, 2018
Thank you so much for that!
My main concern is getting my points right. Writing has always been a nightmare for me and sometimes at that moment, I’ll completely forget how to approach the question properly and get my planning right. Even after getting 8+ on all the other three, there’s writing to draw me down.

jessoabr

Star Member
May 14, 2018
P
This is my 3rd attempt. I am also stuck with 7.5 in listening. All other sections are ok with me. All i can say about listening is we have to make first 2 sections are best with no mistakes. In multiple choice questions, try to get answer by elimination technique. When we read questions, try to remember any one particular work from the question to find out the answer. And of course it is all about concentration. I have realized that when we miss one answer our next

This is my 3rd attempt. I am also stuck with 7.5 in listening. All other sections are ok with me. All I can say about listening is we have to make first 2 sections, best with no mistakes. In multiple choice questions, try to get answer by elimination technique. When we read questions, try to remember any one particular word from the question to find out the answer. Yes it is rightly said that always try to fill with maximum number of words but not disturbing the grammar of the sentence like using the, an or as per the speaker. And of course it is all about concentration. I have realized that when we miss one answer our next questions are also missed. I am trying to improve on that. I have wasted too much money on just improving my listening. I hope I get atleast 8 this time.
ractise Cambridge Ielts 12 and 13. They follow the current trend of listening tests. Some tests available in YouTube are also helpful.

jeevinsanju

Star Member
Jul 2, 2018
Thank you so much for that!
My main concern is getting my points right. Writing has always been a nightmare for me and sometimes at that moment, I’ll completely forget how to approach the question properly and get my planning right. Even after getting 8+ on all the other three, there’s writing to draw me down.
We do not usually practice writing, as we don't pay much attention to it while preparing. The fact is, you need to write, to do that, you need to at least read some sample answers from people for top 10 things in writing like environment, health, education etc.. see how others are approaching with statements. You don't have to have specialized knowledge. Think about two three relevant statements and web around that area and think what else you can add to it. Always, I say always read question three-four times, sometimes it gives you clues to what all you can write, make bullet points to assist yourself later.

Stewie090

Jun 14, 2018
I think getting 8 in listening is a matter of luck . In my experiencce, If you got a map or difficult MCQ in the test, chances of getting 35 correct answers are low, good luck
In regards to your signature about the EE profile. Have you already submitted your application? If so, I have two quick questions,

- Why are you taking IELTS tests since you have already submitted your profile?
- With the score of 371, wouldn't the profile be left in queue for a very long time? as the cutoff is around 442 points now?

AnyaZv

May 23, 2018
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
August 30th. 2018
Hi Everyone!

Who is taking IELTS in Toronto this Saturday? Good luck to all of us:)
It's my 4th attempt! My weakest part is writing:( I'm just stuck on 6! But the other parts are quiet good..

Stewie090

Jun 14, 2018
All the best folks. Hope everyone achieves their desired scores. I pray that this should be our last attempt.

Pavithra26

Jun 14, 2018
Speaking.
Cue card:
Websie you follow.
Folow up questions:
Online coaching n face to face coaching. Do u use google maps y n y nt

Aminghorbaani

Jun 20, 2017
Hello everyone. I am starting this thread to discuss important tips related to IELTS exam that is going to be held on July 7th.

This is going to be my third attempt. My previous two attempts were gone by 0.5 in listening module. This was really beyond frustrating. Having said that, agenda of this thread is to discuss important points, tips and anything that might help us in achieving our desired scores.
Once we are through the exam, we can discuss about the answers in here.

Please feel free to share any materials related to the IELTS General exam.

Thank you.

Hi,

Did you take the test yesterday??
Would you Share your writing topics?

sanque

Jun 2, 2018
Hi,

Did you take the test yesterday??
Would you Share your writing topics?
TASK 1- Letter to a friend informing her/him about a new job opening, why it is suitable for her/him and how to apply
TASK 2- Views on sending children to nursery school before primary school or spend time with family before sending them to primary school and give an opinion.

Aminghorbaani

Jun 20, 2017
TASK 1- Letter to a friend informing her/him about a new job opening, why it is suitable for her/him and how to apply
TASK 2- Views on sending children to nursery school before primary school or spend time with family before sending them to primary school and give an opinion.

thanks very much
where did you take the test? which country I mean!