+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS General or CELPIP-LS

Kikilala

Star Member
Feb 12, 2016
Just want to double check with you guys, for the English test for citizenship application, IRCC do accept CELPIP-LS, and IELTS or CELPIP General is not a must right?

It's because the lady from one of the immigration & community service centre advised me to take the IELTS as the English proof for the citizenship application. However, when I checked IRCC's website it says that they do accept CELPIP-LS, and for IELTS they only look at listening & speaking part. So that means I don't have to put so much effort to take IELTS or CELPIP General am I correct?

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html#language lists all the possible documents.

That list includes:
  • Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program General Test (CELPIP-G) or the CELPIP-General LS (listening and speaking).
    • If you took the test after April 1, 2014, you must have a score of level 4 or higher in listening and speaking.
    • If you took the test before April 1, 2014, you must have a score of 2H or higher (i.e., 3L, 3H, 4L, 4H, 5L, or 5H) in listening and speaking.
  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS), general training, not the academic version You must have a score of:
    • 4.0 or higher in speaking and
    • 4.5 or higher in listening. (Note: If the test was done before November 28, 2008, we will accept a level 4 or higher)
so yes, CELPIP-General LS is acceptable.