+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS for Canadian Citizenship

rsomiyani

Feb 11, 2017
Hello,

I will be applying for Canadian Citizenship. I am looking for a clarification regarding language requirements.

I took IELTS exam (GT) when I applied for PR in 2012. Can I use the same exam results when I apply for citizenship or do I have to give IELTS exam again?

alexchristi

Sep 8, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Bucharest
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5th july 2011
AOR Received.
PER 8th sept.2011
IELTS Request
on file
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
05. Oct. 2012
VISA ISSUED...
24. 10. 2012
LANDED..........
08.dec.2012
rsomiyani said:
Hello,

I will be applying for Canadian Citizenship. I am looking for a clarification regarding language requirements.

I took IELTS exam (GT) when I applied for PR in 2012. Can I use the same exam results when I apply for citizenship or do I have to give IELTS exam again?
Yes you can use the old IELTS result.
I did the same, and just received my AOR.

rsomiyani

Feb 11, 2017
Thanks Alex for the quick reply.

This relieves some pressure of me as IELTS is usually valid or expires after two years.

alexchristi

Sep 8, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Bucharest
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5th july 2011
AOR Received.
PER 8th sept.2011
IELTS Request
on file
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
05. Oct. 2012
VISA ISSUED...
24. 10. 2012
LANDED..........
08.dec.2012
rsomiyani said:
Thanks Alex for the quick reply.

This relieves some pressure of me as IELTS is usually valid or expires after two years.
Yes , IELTS is valid for 2 years. But if you used it in the PR process, you can use the same one in the citizenship process again.
If you had a IELTS test taken for other reasons which is older than 2 years, than you can.t use it in the citizenship application and you have to get a CELPIP.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
rsomiyani said:
Sounds good. Thank you.
Make sure you meet the minimum requirements as follows:

International English Language Testing System (IELTS), general training, not the academic version You must have achieved a score of:
4.0 or higher in speaking, and
4.5 or higher in listening. (Please note: If the test was done before November 28, 2008, we will accept a level 4 or higher)

nekeol

Champion Member
Nov 7, 2012
Waterloo region, Ontario
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London/Abu Dhabi
NOC Code......
1111 Accountant
App. Filed.......
25/9/2011
Doc's Request.
21/11/12
Nomination.....
Not Applicable
IELTS Request
Submitted with Application
Med's Request
19/12/2013, after BGC
Med's Done....
7/1/2014
Interview........
Exempt
Passport Req..
02/02/2014 - DM 11/2/14
VISA ISSUED...
14/02/2014
LANDED..........
Alhamdolillah Landed July 2014/Citizenship Applied in JAN 2018
hi
i want to apply for citizenship in December 2017
i want to use my IELTS which i used for my immigration 4 years before in 2013 or 2014.
is it OK to use that old IELTS score for me?
my wife has completed LINC course from community settlement organization, can i use that LINC English certificate for citizenship.
thanks for explaining in advance.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
hi
i want to apply for citizenship in December 2017
i want to use my IELTS which i used for my immigration 4 years before in 2013 or 2014.
is it OK to use that old IELTS score for me?
my wife has completed LINC course from community settlement organization, can i use that LINC English certificate for citizenship.
thanks for explaining in advance.
Please try out this wizard:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/language.asp

It answers all these questions better than we could.

Nov 10, 2018
hi,
i had my IELTS way back in 2012 but never used it for any application.and i acquired my PR through spousal sponsorship.can i still use it for my citizenship application this year?

Voegel

Mar 18, 2019
hi,
i had my IELTS way back in 2012 but never used it for any application.and i acquired my PR through spousal sponsorship.can i still use it for my citizenship application this year?
Yes you can use it. (If you meet the required score of course. And if it was General Trainig test, because Academic is not accepted)

Citizenship application guide clearly says: "If you did the test in the past for immigration or citizenship purposes, we will accept the results even if it has expired."

bieber123

Star Member
Jun 8, 2016
Yes you can use it. (If you meet the required score of course. And if it was General Trainig test, because Academic is not accepted)

Citizenship application guide clearly says: "If you did the test in the past for immigration or citizenship purposes, we will accept the results even if it has expired."
Thanks, I never used it too for the PR but was planning to use it for the citizenship

sumeshpunakkal

Star Member
Sep 3, 2014
Victoria, BC
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is IELTS ACADEMIC accepted for citizenship?
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/eligibility/language-proof/step-5.html says International English Language Testing System (IELTS) training test. Not clear if it's strictly General Training or if Academic is also allowed. Did any one had success with Academic? (In our case the IELTS executive made a mistake of adding to Academic instead of General Training, even though we specifically told them it's for immigration purpose)

Bantu

Oct 19, 2020
Is IELTS ACADEMIC accepted for citizenship?
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/eligibility/language-proof/step-5.html says International English Language Testing System (IELTS) training test. Not clear if it's strictly General Training or if Academic is also allowed. Did any one had success with Academic? (In our case the IELTS executive made a mistake of adding to Academic instead of General Training, even though we specifically told them it's for immigration purpose)
So did you submit IELTS Academic for citizenship? I have overall 8 bands in Academic but I never did IELTS GT. Now I am wondering whether I submit Master of Arts (English) degree documents or IELTS Academic or both to prove lang proficiency for citizenship application.