+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS - feeling down

EEBANKER

Star Member
Feb 3, 2015
im feeling down and frustrated .. looking at this http://ielts-sucks.blogspot.com/2011/01/ielts-bottom-line.html
even native could not achieve the required score and call it a scam ... i always missed by 0.5 points either in writing or speaking for the third time in a row ... what should I do? i feel not matter what efforts i put there wont be a result ...

gailmargolis

Star Member
Mar 25, 2017
US
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
EEBANKER said:
im feeling down and frustrated .. looking at this http://ielts-sucks.blogspot.com/2011/01/ielts-bottom-line.html
even native could not achieve the required score and call it a scam ... i always missed by 0.5 points either in writing or speaking for the third time in a row ... what should I do? i feel not matter what efforts i put there wont be a result ...
Where does it say the author of the blogpost you linked to is a native English speaker? Right from the first sentence I was able to tell this person is NOT a native English speaker - either that, or they have severe dyslexia. Almost every sentence in that blogpost was poorly structured, showing the writer has a poor grasp of basic rules of grammar and syntax. Let's examine one particular gem of a sentence from this horrendous post:

"Why don't I have the possibility to chose another testing system witch I consider fair?"

Really? 'chose'? 'witch'? I'm sorry, but based on this brief writing sample, I don't think this person is qualified to assess the fairness of IELTS assessments.

As a native speaker, I will admit the test was somewhat more difficult than I anticipated, but I believe that with enough practice, a non-native speaker can score well. There are many such examples on this forum. Don't lose hope, you CAN get better, and don't let some random ignoramus masquerading as a native English speaker tell you otherwise.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yep - have to agree. The blog contains many basic sentence structure and grammatical errors. There's absolutely no way this person is a native English speaker. I'd recommend the blogger spend more time studying and less time complaining about his/her test scores...

EEBANKER

Star Member
Feb 3, 2015
Press ctrl + f and type "native" you will find some people who are native and still could not secure the demanded scores.

EEBANKER

Star Member
Feb 3, 2015
Worth checking :
http://www.thefreeschool.education/immigration-myth-busting.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-VHYvKuzgw&t=305s

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
The IELTS is not a hard exam. Lots of people get CLB 10 and above - I did, my wife did, and I personally know five more people who did.

I know it's hard to hear, but perhaps you need to work on your language skills? Don't blame the test - and don't feel disheartened. With the right attitude and approach, you can improve your score, but if you resort to saying the test is rigged (or whatever), then I'm afraid you'll be stuck.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
EEBANKER said:
Press ctrl + f and type "native" you will find some people who are native and still could not secure the demanded scores.
Of course. We see plenty of them here. They didn't bother researching the exam to understand how the marking structure works or take sample tests and then did poorly. It's a TEST - that means you have to prepare for it.

We also have plenty of people on this forum who have achieved high scores - both natives and non-native speakers. It's completely possible - but it takes work (like many things in life).

Spending time looking for internet links that say IELTS sucks isn't productive. It won't change the fact that you need IELTS and it won't increase your score.

ph.cdr

Dec 2, 2016
Philippines
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
exactly... stop crying and start working (learning) :) crying will change nothing ...

uppperkut

Jan 28, 2017
Somewhere in ON
I personally don't believe that the "listening" part of the IELTS system is fair, even to a native speaker, mainly because it's really hard to concentrate on listening and writing down the answer at the same time, regardless of your native language.

gailmargolis

Star Member
Mar 25, 2017
US
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
uppperkut said:
I personally don't believe that the "listening" part of the IELTS system is fair, even to a native speaker, mainly because it's really hard to concentrate on listening and writing down the answer at the same time, regardless of your native language.
I disagree; Listening is the easiest section. And even among those who aren't non-native speakers, Listening is one of the less difficult parts

jpv2212

Jan 30, 2015
Category........
FSW
EEBANKER said:
Who told you that if native English speaker couldn't make it, then you can not?

Friend, there are hundreds and thousands of candidates whose first language is other than English achieve highest bands in IELTS.
To speak English and to take IELTS are two different things. You surely can achieve higher. But, it's just a correct method of doing it. Since you lack 0.5 bands, I believe you just need to brush up your skills. Just add a little bit to your method, and you'll achieve it.

For valuable tips, please follow this link. I'm sure it'll definitely help you out.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/valuable-tips-to-pass-ielts-with-flying-colors-t487154.0.html

All the best

raven00090

Oct 27, 2013
Mumbai, India
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
27-01-2017
AOR Received.
27-01-2017
Passport Req..
16-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
21-06-2017
I, and many others here, are not native English speakers. And we did well on the exam. I was counting on IELTS to get me beyond 470 CRS points, which it did :D :D

jpv2212

Jan 30, 2015
Category........
FSW
raven00090 said:
I, and many others here, are not native English speakers. And we did well on the exam. I was counting on IELTS to get me beyond 470 CRS points, which it did :D :D
Same pinch! :D

I also was able to get 463 CRS because of IELTS only.

raven00090

Oct 27, 2013
Mumbai, India
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
27-01-2017
AOR Received.
27-01-2017
Passport Req..
16-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
21-06-2017
jpv2212 said:
Same pinch! :D

I also was able to get 463 CRS because of IELTS only.
lolol it made me happy to think that my pathetic profile could be worth a consideration after I scored high on IELTS :D