deep9

Apr 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
ND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
soj said:
chouhans,i think u should sit for ielts eventhough i didnt write it.got my pr without it last yr but you can never say,just write it so as to take the full advantage.cheers
Hi
I have received my initial approval and now am getting my application ready for local visa office . I have an ESL exemption certificate( from English Language Institute) from the US (masters from US , worked there) due to which my consultant considered 12 points for that.

Do you think after submission of complete documents I could be asked to submit IELTS score?

BobbyB

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/reapply-for-the-pr-after-rejection-t25205.0.html;msg139768#msg139768

deep9

Apr 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
ND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BobbyB said:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/reapply-for-the-pr-after-rejection-t25205.0.html;msg139768#msg139768
But this is for the first stage.

Can they ask for IELTS when we submit full application at local visa office(the 120 day file)??

BobbyB

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
deep9 said:
BobbyB said:

Can they ask for IELTS when we submit full application at local visa office(the 120 day file)??
This is the stage that they actually want to see it - at the local visa office.

uk2canada

Star Member
Jun 23, 2009
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 2009
Doc's Request.
October 2009
AOR Received.
November 2009
File Transfer...
June 2009
Med's Request
June 2010
Med's Done....
June 2010.
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
December 2010.
VISA ISSUED...
January 2011
LANDED..........
May 2011
Hi All
what to do in such a case when your full application is due in local chc and ielts exam and result are expected soon after your final application is submitted?like in my case i ll submit my full application on 5th of october and my ielts result ll be out on 9th october?what should i do with my full application?
Thanks in advance.
cheers

deep9

Apr 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
ND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BobbyB said:
deep9 said:
BobbyB said:

But as I mentioned earlier I have an ESL exemption certificate( from English Language Institute) from the US (masters from US , worked there) due to which my consultant considered 12 points for that.Will I still need IELTS??

ind2

Sep 5, 2009
Yes you do,unless you want the IO to use his/her discretion. M.Sc. from US or ESL exemption dont matter much.

deep9

Apr 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
ND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
deep9 said:
BobbyB said:
deep9 said:
BobbyB said:

But as I mentioned earlier I have an ESL exemption certificate( from English Language Institute) from the US (masters from US , worked there) due to which my consultant considered 12 points for that.Will I still need IELTS??
ind2 said:
Yes you do,unless you want the IO to use his/her discretion. M.Sc. from US or ESL exemption dont matter much.
BobbyB and other seniors please help out with this.

deep9

Apr 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
ND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
soj said:
chouhans,i think u should sit for ielts eventhough i didnt write it.got my pr without it last yr but you can never say,just write it so as to take the full advantage.cheers
Hi Soj
Could you please tell what was your proof for english proficieny since you did it without ielts.

BobbyB

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ind2 said:
BobbyB and other seniors please help out with this.
[/quote]

Here help yourself:
Proof of your language abilities

If you have some proficiency in both English and French, decide which language you are more comfortable using. This is your first official language. The other is your second official language.

If you claim to have language abilities on your application, you must provide conclusive proof of your level of proficiency. There are two ways to do this. You can:

* take a language test or
* provide other written proof of your abilities.

We strongly recommend that you take a language test from an approved organization. You will find a link to a list of approved English language testing organizations under the Related Links section at the bottom of this page. You will also find a link to additional information on language testing.

Skilled workers and professionals: Who can apply—Selection factors
Providing other written evidence

We strongly recommend that you take an official language test if you are claiming skills in a language that is not your native language.

If you choose not to take an approved language test, you must prove your ability to speak, listen, read and write Canada's official languages through other written evidence. You must provide written proof and an explanation that clearly shows you meet the benchmark criteria listed in the Canadian Language Benchmarks in each of the four skills.

NOTE
Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) officers will not conduct an interview to assess your language skills. CIC will only use test results from organizations approved by CIC in assigning language points.

You must:

1. Indicate what level of language proficiency you are claiming for each skill (speaking, listening, reading and writing).
2. Submit, with your application for immigration, a written explanation and supporting documentation as proof of the levels you have indicated.

This material should include:
* a written submission explaining your training in English or French;
* an explanation of how you commonly use English or French;
* official documentation of education in English or French; and
* official documentation of work experience in English or French.

What happens next

A CIC officer will review the evidence you include with your application.

* Your submission must satisfy the officer that your language skills meet the benchmarks for the levels you are claiming.
* The officer will award points for your language ability based on what you send with your application.
* You will not know in advance how many points the CIC officer will give you for your language skills.

So after you have decided which way you want to go: If you choose the second option i.e provide other written proof of your abilities.
then,

Other written evidence

If the applicant provides a written explanation and supporting documentation in lieu of test results,
officers must assess it against the Canadian Language Benchmarks 2000, and/or the Standards
Linguistiques Canadiens 2006. R79(2) establishes the following equivalencies between the four
proficiency levels and the Canadian Language Benchmarks:

Proficiency level Benchmark equivalencies

High Benchmark 8 or higher

Moderate Benchmark 6 or 7

Basic Benchmark 4 or 5

No proficiency Benchmark 3 or lower

Thus, for purposes of assessment of proficiency levels, it is Benchmarks 4, 6, and 8 that are of
key importance, as they are the thresholds of the three levels for which points can be awarded.
Refer to the following quick reference chart to access the appropriate Canadian Language
Benchmarks:

Proficiency level Ability

Speaking Listening Reading Writing

High Benchmark 8: Benchmark 8: Benchmark 8: Benchmark 8:

pages 68-71 pages 82-83 pages 94-95 pages 106-107

Moderate Benchmark 6: Benchmark 6: Benchmark 6: Benchmark 6:

pages 60-63 pages 78-79 pages 90-91 pages 102-103

Basic Benchmark 4: Benchmark 4: Benchmark 4: Benchmark 4:

pages 12-13 pages 24-25 pages 36-37 pages 48-49

No proficiency Does not meet Does not meet Does not meet Does not meet
benchmark 4 benchmark 4 benchmark 4 benchmark 4

Note: See www.language.ca for Canadian Language Benchmarks.

For each proficiency level in each ability (i.e., speaking, listening, reading, and writing), the
Benchmarks set out the following descriptions:

• global performance descriptors;

• performance conditions;

• what the person can do;

• examples of tasks and texts; and

• performance indicators.

With these detailed descriptors, officers will assess whether or not the applicant's evidence in
writing satisfies them that they possess their claimed proficiency levels in English and/or French.

If ... Then the officer will ...

the material submitted satisfies • award language points for the proficiency levels claimed,
the officer that the applicant has according to the chart provided in Section 10.3;
the proficiency levels claimed

the material submitted satisfies • inform the applicant in writing that they have not
the officer that the applicant has demonstrated compliance with the Benchmarks at the levels
demonstrated language claimed.
proficiency of at least
• offer the applicant the opportunity to undergo and submit the
Benchmark level "4" but not the
results of a designated language test within a certain time
proficiency levels claimed
period.

If the designated test option is not pursued by the applicant:

• inform the applicant that they have satisfied the officer of
some language proficiency but have not demonstrated
compliance with the Benchmarks for the levels they have
claimed and award the maximum points that are appropriate
for the submission.

the evidence provided does not • award 0 points.
demonstrate a Benchmark level
of at least "4"

The onus is on the applicant to satisfy the officer of claimed language proficiency.

• Given the detailed nature of the Canadian Language Benchmarks 2000 and the Standards
linguistiques canadiens 2000 it should be clear that, in most cases where language
proficiency is not patently obvious from the applicant's background, self-serving declarations,
third-party testimonials and/or other claims not supported by detailed and objective evidence
will be of little probative value in establishing high or moderate proficiency.

10.11. Integrity concerns on language proficiency during an interview

The interview is NOT intended to be a means of evaluating language proficiency. Officers
CANNOT change language point awards or make new language point assessments themselves
based on what they have discovered at interview. However, if an applicant is interviewed for any
other reason and significant discrepancies become evident between claimed and actual language
proficiency, there may be an integrity issue. The following options are available to officers:

If ... Then the officer will ...

designated results have been
submitted, the officer will verify
test scores and integrity of
testing procedures for the case
in question with the local testing
agency.
• accept the test score;
• If the officer is satisfied that
there is no fraud or
malfeasance in the testing
procedures for the case in
question

• If the officer is not satisfied, • inform the applicant of their concerns and, in coordination
but there is insufficient with the testing agency, provide an opportunity to take a
evidence to establish fraud second test at testing agency's expense and with visa
or malfeasance in the office supervision.
testing procedures for the
case in question and to • If the applicant refuses the third-party language testing
substantiate a refusal for
option, then the officer will refuse the application for
misrepresentation misrepresentation, given the discrepancy between the test

scores and the actual language abilities.

• If the officer is satisfied that
• refuse the case for misrepresentation.
there is sufficient evidence
to establish fraud or
malfeasance in the testing
procedures for the case in
question
If a written submission has been
provided, the officer will offer
the applicant an opportunity to
take a designated test;

• If the applicant takes a • accept test scores submitted;
designated test
• refuse the application for misrepresentation, given the
• If the applicant does not discrepancy between the documents submitted and the
take a designated test actual language abilities

deep9

Apr 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
ND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks BobbyB for such a well explained reply.