App. Filed.......
07-07-2018
AOR Received.
07-07-2018
Passport Req..
06-11-2018
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2018
Hi everyone. In May 2018 I sat for IELTS.
My scores are
L 9
R 9
W 7.5
S 8 (was considering a re-mark, but didn't go it as the requirement was already met for immigration)

And here's my advice:

My background:

I have a full time job and work around 60 hours a week or even more so I couldn't give it as much time I wanted. I prepared for around 45 days. But I had already taken PTE 2 years ago and had done extensive writing practice then, so the foundation for writing was already laid.

I consider myself above average in intelligence and I have indeed studied from one of the best schools in my city. Because life is not fair, your background and school definitely plays a part in how good your English can get and how well you can subsequently perform in tests like IELTS. Without sugar coating it, if you lack in these things in your background (good schooling, intelligence, English speaking environment), you'll have to work that much harder to compensate for it. But it sure is possible.

My advise is very simple:

For reading and listening do as many tests as possible until you start to score 8.5-9 regularly in tests. If you start to come across words that you can't understand, it means your vocabulary is weak. Consider getting books like Collin Webster vocabulary and consistently learn new words and use them daily. Even I learned like a fifty new words during my preparation. You might need to learn more than fifty depending on your current level.

For writing, first adopt an essay structure from one the leading tutors like Ryan or Liz or Mike or Simon. The structure is of paramount importance because it helps in organising your essay and gets your cohesion score a boost.
Then start practicing with that structure. Get a paid subscription from one of these writing marking services (I hired tutor Mike's from Australia and Manjusha from India) but better to stick to just one tutor. Get them to check your essays and letters and incorporate their feedback. Do as many as you can afford because their advise can be invaluable. I repeat pay attention to their feed back and incorporate them in your essays like your life depends on it. Feedback is one of the things due to lack of which most candidates fail to achieve their desired outcome in writing. Unless you don't know what your weakness are, you can't improve

For speaking, once again things are pretty simple, you've got to have good fluency, pronunciation and vocabulary. If you don't possess these traits then you've just got to work on that there's no way around it. Watch sample band 9 videos on YouTube. I used Ann Cooks American accent training course to improve my pronunciation. I followed that course like a gospel and paid special attention to words being pronounced in TV shows like how I met your mother. Get speaking partners in Skype if you don't live in an English speaking environment.

I'm just looking to give back to this forum and other communities that were of help to me during preparation.

nehagautam

Jul 26, 2018
Thank you so much for sharing the tips and your preparation in detail. I took a few IELTS mock tests and found that my listening is extremely poor. I am getting average in Reading though (8/9). Can you share some tips in Listening? I mean its incredible that you scored 9/9 in Listening!

sam3218

Champion Member
Jan 25, 2013
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
07-07-2018
AOR Received.
07-07-2018
Passport Req..
06-11-2018
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2018
Thank you so much for sharing the tips and your preparation in detail. I took a few IELTS mock tests and found that my listening is extremely poor. I am getting average in Reading though (8/9). Can you share some tips in Listening? I mean its incredible that you scored 9/9 in Listening!
What's your main weakness in listening?

nehagautam

Jul 26, 2018
What's your main weakness in listening?
my main weakness in Listening Part is Section 3, where the two or more students discuss the research or project. My problem is I am not able to pace up with the speed with which the students discuss things. I mean I don't understand the question when I concentrate on listening. Thus difficult to do the reading and listening simultaneously

Reactions: rahulkumar7887

Sherry9661

Oct 25, 2018
Hey, thanks for providing the valuable info. Especially getting the writings getting checked, will be doing that for sure.
How many years of experience did you apply with btw?

sam3218

Champion Member
Jan 25, 2013
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
07-07-2018
AOR Received.
07-07-2018
Passport Req..
06-11-2018
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2018
Hey, thanks for providing the valuable info. Especially getting the writings getting checked, will be doing that for sure.
How many years of experience did you apply with btw?

Reactions: Sherry9661
Sep 28, 2018
my main weakness in Listening Part is Section 3, where the two or more students discuss the research or project. My problem is I am not able to pace up with the speed with which the students discuss things. I mean I don't understand the question when I concentrate on listening. Thus difficult to do the reading and listening simultaneously
Facing the same problem brother. Any tips ?

@sam3218 Any tips brother ?

sahilmajid

Jan 28, 2018
Hafr Albatin
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Hi All

My examination date: 8 Sept 2017
Scores:
R: 9
L: 9
S: 7
W: 7
Overall: 8

Frankly had more expectations on speaking but it's okay. Hit the magical 8 7 7 7

So no complaints. One piece of advice. Try reading ' Reading Comprehension' passages from any GRE/GMAT/IELTS prep guides . That will make a huge difference on overall score value.

Good luck.

Snehadas1991

Dec 22, 2018
India
Hi everyone. In May 2018 I sat for IELTS.
My scores are
L 9
R 9
W 7.5
S 8 (was considering a re-mark, but didn't go it as the requirement was already met for immigration)

And here's my advice:

My background:

I have a full time job and work around 60 hours a week or even more so I couldn't give it as much time I wanted. I prepared for around 45 days. But I had already taken PTE 2 years ago and had done extensive writing practice then, so the foundation for writing was already laid.

I consider myself above average in intelligence and I have indeed studied from one of the best schools in my city. Because life is not fair, your background and school definitely plays a part in how good your English can get and how well you can subsequently perform in tests like IELTS. Without sugar coating it, if you lack in these things in your background (good schooling, intelligence, English speaking environment), you'll have to work that much harder to compensate for it. But it sure is possible.

My advise is very simple:

For reading and listening do as many tests as possible until you start to score 8.5-9 regularly in tests. If you start to come across words that you can't understand, it means your vocabulary is weak. Consider getting books like Collin Webster vocabulary and consistently learn new words and use them daily. Even I learned like a fifty new words during my preparation. You might need to learn more than fifty depending on your current level.

For writing, first adopt an essay structure from one the leading tutors like Ryan or Liz or Mike or Simon. The structure is of paramount importance because it helps in organising your essay and gets your cohesion score a boost.
Then start practicing with that structure. Get a paid subscription from one of these writing marking services (I hired tutor Mike's from Australia and Manjusha from India) but better to stick to just one tutor. Get them to check your essays and letters and incorporate their feedback. Do as many as you can afford because their advise can be invaluable. I repeat pay attention to their feed back and incorporate them in your essays like your life depends on it. Feedback is one of the things due to lack of which most candidates fail to achieve their desired outcome in writing. Unless you don't know what your weakness are, you can't improve

For speaking, once again things are pretty simple, you've got to have good fluency, pronunciation and vocabulary. If you don't possess these traits then you've just got to work on that there's no way around it. Watch sample band 9 videos on YouTube. I used Ann Cooks American accent training course to improve my pronunciation. I followed that course like a gospel and paid special attention to words being pronounced in TV shows like how I met your mother. Get speaking partners in Skype if you don't live in an English speaking environment.

I'm just looking to give back to this forum and other communities that were of help to me during preparation.

Hi I need your help, I need to get clb 10 otherwise cant get 440 to be eligible for an ITA ( as current trend suggests). As you advised we can get writing correction done from tutor Manjusha, I have contacted her waiting for her reply. Will 5 to 10 essay correction service from her will help me to get 7.5-8? Or you suggest some other service, I found her charges reasonable compared to others. Please advise.

Regarding listening and reading max I am scoring 32, I am not progressing at all. What am I doing wrong?

Speaking I am checking videos online not sure how to take it further. Any help is much appreciated. May I ask are you a native speaker, where are you from?

zabrodov

Sep 19, 2018
Gatineau
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-11-2018
AOR Received.
11-11-2018
File Transfer...
24-01-2019
Passport Req..
02-08-2019
LANDED..........
02-09-2019
My IELTS is L9, R9, S8, W8, Overall 8.5

I am not a native speaker.

My advice to anyone who wants to get a decent score in IELTS or another similar test is to not waste your time with studying towards this particular exam. Instead of learning how to do well in a test, you should concentrate on engaging in natural language practice. Immerse yourself in the English speaking environment as much as you can. Speak with people in Skype or join some type of speaking club, write in English, type in English, switch your phone and computer interface to English, read English books, watch English/American TV etc.

And when you're ready, just spend a day on learning how a particular exam actually works.

I did IELTS only once and on the day before my exam, I spent around an hour on learning the structure and the process of the test. Unlike GMAT, GRE or LSAT, IELTS and similar exams test only your ability to use English in the natural setting. There is nothing to prepare for. Just use English as much as you can in your daily life and you will be fine.

venky0809

Sep 27, 2019
hi friends If we get Listening -7.5 and rest of them as above 7 are we qualified .Or still it mean i did not meet the target of 8777 and i need to re-take the examination