+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS April 27th North American Countries Only!

marinamuricy

Star Member
Jan 30, 2019
I got the results:

L - 8,5
R - 9
W - 7
S - 7

I can't believe I got it. I mentioned here how upset I was because of the listening which I thought was very unlikely that I would achieve an 8. The only reason I didn't sign up for another test before knowing my results is because I missed the deadline for registering by a couple of hours. You can imagine my surprise when I saw the results. I am beyond happy.

Nsidhu

Apr 27, 2019
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
29-06-2019
L-8
R-8
W 6.5
S 7.5
Overall 7.5
That's all i needed happyyy

Kiva2014

Star Member
Mar 23, 2019
I got the results:

L - 8,5
R - 9
W - 7
S - 7

I can't believe I got it. I mentioned here how upset I was because of the listening which I thought was very unlikely that I would achieve an 8. The only reason I didn't sign up for another test before knowing my results is because I missed the deadline for registering by a couple of hours. You can imagine my surprise when I saw the results. I am beyond happy.
Hi, congratulations! It's good to see that someone could achieve 7 in writing without re-evaluation :)
If you could share some tips about writing, I would really appreciate it. I'll take the exam tomorrow, and I'm feeling so nervous about writing.

marinamuricy

Star Member
Jan 30, 2019
Hi, congratulations! It's good to see that someone could achieve 7 in writing without re-evaluation :)
If you could share some tips about writing, I would really appreciate it. I'll take the exam tomorrow, and I'm feeling so nervous about writing.
Thank you!

I had the support of a Tutor for the writing and I extremely recommend to hire a teacher if you are struggling with your writing, if you can afford a private teacher that's even better.

In my first attempt I scored 6.5 in the writing but I knew it wasn't a good essay compared to the ones I have been doing in practice so I was expecting 6 or 6.5 already.

Apart from the basics like avoiding grammar mistakes and using a wide range of vocabulary and grammar (avoid repeating words, always try to use synonyms and try to use different tenses) you really need to use connectors like "because, due to, in addition, therefore, although, despite, not only, but also, etc". And you should definitely spend a few minutes preparing what you are going to write because this saves a lot of time and you can concentrate in how you are going to structure your essay and your main ideas.

For example, write down:
Intro - general explanation about the topic/your opinion (or agree/disagree);
2 paragraph - opposite side or your opinion / reasons and examples if possible -
3 paragraph - reinforce the positive side of you opinion despite people who believe opposite / give reasons and examples if possible.
(I usua

This should take about 3-5 minutes top.

Always try to think of your main idea for each paragraph and making a mini intro (one phrase should be enough, 2 phrases top) stating your main point. You can have additional points but try to focus in one main idea and explain it very well. You won't have time to explain really well a number of points. If you have more ideas you can put in the end or your paragraph briefly, as long as you have your central idea very well explained.

For the structure I usually had 4 paragraphs only, but if you feel the need you can add one more.

1 paragraph - Intro - general idea about the topic. Try to use the Present Perfect (has/have + verb in the past ) or Present Perfect Continuous (has/have been + verb present continuous) here. For example if you essay is about how children should spend their free time, start with a generic phrase like "How kids should spend their free time has been largely debated by parents and schools" then introduce the topic and give your opinion at the end of your introduction (no need to explain why here, just state your opinion).

Second paragraph - if you have 2 points of view to discuss, start with "However, there are people who believe...
and introduce main idea of the paragraph which is going to be opposite to your stated opinion. If it's a 2 question essay, use this paragraph to answer the first question.

Third Paragraph - "Despite these being valid arguments..." and put your main idea. Explain why, give examples that support your opinion.

Conclusion - start with "In conclusion while (main idea of the second paragraph) might be positive in a way, "this and that are more important because...". Basically you are going to focus on the 2 main opposite ideas and reinforce why the one you agree is better. The conclusion is also a good place to try to use a conditional or future tense.

If it's a 2 question essay the structure might change a little and you probably are going to need to be a little more creative but you still can keep this structure in mind. You can also leave the example out if your essay is too long. It's definitely good to have examples but I personally tend to explain a lot and I do not use them as often. If you can use one or 2 it's good though.

Remember, you need to focus in structure, grammar, vocabulary and use connectors. Grammar and vocabulary are very personal. I had a good English when I started studying but I tended to make one very basic mistake in conjugation because my brain was so trained to write in my native language that I didn't even realise it. Since it was a basic mistake it would lower my score even though everything else was good. So working with a teacher was fundamental to correct personal mistakes that I was making and I wasn't even aware. For everybody who is struggling to get a 7 I strongly recommend having a teacher to help you improve.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kiva2014

Kiva2014

Star Member
Mar 23, 2019
Thank you!

I had the support of a Tutor for the writing and I extremely recommend to hire a teacher if you are struggling with your writing, if you can afford a private teacher that's even better.

In my first attempt I scored 6.5 in the writing but I knew it wasn't a good essay compared to the ones I have been doing in practice so I was expecting 6 or 6.5 already.

Apart from the basics like avoiding grammar mistakes and using a wide range of vocabulary and grammar (avoid repeating words, always try to use synonyms and try to use different tenses) you really need to use connectors like "because, due to, in addition, therefore, although, despite, not only, but also, etc". And you should definitely spend a few minutes preparing what you are going to write because this saves a lot of time and you can concentrate in how you are going to structure your essay and your main ideas.

For example, write down:
Intro - general explanation about the topic/your opinion (or agree/disagree);
2 paragraph - opposite side or your opinion / reasons and examples if possible -
3 paragraph - reinforce the positive side of you opinion despite people who believe opposite / give reasons and examples if possible.
(I usua

This should take about 3-5 minutes top.

Always try to think of your main idea for each paragraph and making a mini intro (one phrase should be enough, 2 phrases top) stating your main point. You can have additional points but try to focus in one main idea and explain it very well. You won't have time to explain really well a number of points. If you have more ideas you can put in the end or your paragraph briefly, as long as you have your central idea very well explained.

For the structure I usually had 4 paragraphs only, but if you feel the need you can add one more.

1 paragraph - Intro - general idea about the topic. Try to use the Present Perfect (has/have + verb in the past ) or Present Perfect Continuous (has/have been + verb present continuous) here. For example if you essay is about how children should spend their free time, start with a generic phrase like "How kids should spend their free time has been largely debated by parents and schools" then introduce the topic and give your opinion at the end of your introduction (no need to explain why here, just state your opinion).

Second paragraph - if you have 2 points of view to discuss, start with "However, there are people who believe...
and introduce main idea of the paragraph which is going to be opposite to your stated opinion. If it's a 2 question essay, use this paragraph to answer the first question.

Third Paragraph - "Despite these being valid arguments..." and put your main idea. Explain why, give examples that support your opinion.

Conclusion - start with "In conclusion while (main idea of the second paragraph) might be positive in a way, "this and that are more important because...". Basically you are going to focus on the 2 main opposite ideas and reinforce why the one you agree is better. The conclusion is also a good place to try to use a conditional or future tense.

If it's a 2 question essay the structure might change a little and you probably are going to need to be a little more creative but you still can keep this structure in mind. You can also leave the example out if your essay is too long. It's definitely good to have examples but I personally tend to explain a lot and I do not use them as often. If you can use one or 2 it's good though.

Remember, you need to focus in structure, grammar, vocabulary and use connectors. Grammar and vocabulary are very personal. I had a good English when I started studying but I tended to make one very basic mistake in conjugation because my brain was so trained to write in my native language that I didn't even realise it. Since it was a basic mistake it would lower my score even though everything else was good. So working with a teacher was fundamental to correct personal mistakes that I was making and I wasn't even aware. For everybody who is struggling to get a 7 I strongly recommend having a teacher to help you improve.
Thank you so much! You've explained it in such a great way, hopefully it'll help me too. This is going to be my second attempt. I live in a small town in Canada, so finding a good instructor here is really hard.
Thanks again for your time!

marinamuricy

Star Member
Jan 30, 2019
Thank you so much! You've explained it in such a great way, hopefully it'll help me too. This is going to be my second attempt. I live in a small town in Canada, so finding a good instructor here is really hard.
Thanks again for your time!

You're welcome. Good luck for you tomorrow. You may find a teacher online if you need but let's hope you achieve your score this time. =)

Nsidhu

Apr 27, 2019
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
29-06-2019
Yeah, I got 7,5 also. I took the exam March 23. I was sure I would get an 8 on March 23 though, I felt it wasnt a hard exam and I am not sure what I got wrong, it's really annoying that we don't get to know at least the official answers.
I was really frustrated and nervous after the listening today but I still have some hope that with some luck I can get away with an 8. I won't be surprised if it's 7,5 again though, even a 7 maybe. Its really hard to tell with the listening how good or bad it actually was.
Hi i can you tell what result date was written on you trf for march 23 exam results

Abd2019

Apr 28, 2019
I received my results:
Listening: 8.0
Reading: 8.5
Writing: 7
Speaking: 8.0

Listening was definitely a surprise. Pretty happy with the result :D

Kiva2014

Star Member
Mar 23, 2019
I received my results:
Listening: 8.0
Reading: 8.5
Writing: 7
Speaking: 8.0

Listening was definitely a surprise. Pretty happy with the result :D
Hello,
Can you share some tips about writing please? I need help with writing, and I'm trying to understand what is really different between 6.5 and 7.