Dec 18, 2008
The Middle East
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, I know it states in the requirements that they require the General IELTS but it also states that if you have submitted a language test to CIC for PR purposes, you can do that too even if it is already expired.

My question is, CIC accepted my Academic IELTS when I applied for PR in 2009. I really do not want to pay to take a General one. What do you guys think?

Drea

Star Member
Dec 3, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
NOC Code......
0632 | 4131
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-05-09
Doc's Request.
16-07-09
AOR Received.
22-12-09
IELTS Request
16-07-09
Med's Request
20-05-10
Med's Done....
13-06-10
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
07-07-10
VISA ISSUED...
30-07-10
LANDED..........
13-12-10
It clearly mentions that only the IELTS General is one of the acceptable documents for language requirements.
See website: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/language.asp

Therefore, I advise you NOT to submit the IELTS Academic. You'll probably get your application returned to you as incomplete.

Good luck.

Drea :D

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I agree it's unfair but this is what they seem to have done. The did accept academic IELTS for immigration for a while. However, they seem to have excluded it now for citizenship.

Instead of taking IELTS General Training for your citizenship application at the cost of $295, you also have the option to take CELPIP General L&S at $150.

balakri

Star Member
May 16, 2009
Yes the new rule clearly state that only IELTS - General Training is now accepted as proof of English for Citizenship.

Q - Can you still submit the old IELTS General score or you need to write again.

balakri

Star Member
May 16, 2009
Yes the new rule clearly state that only IELTS - General Training is now accepted as proof of English for Citizenship.

Q - Can you still submit the old IELTS General score or you need to write again the exam again. My understanding is that IELTS is only valid for two years from the date of the exam.

Canuto

Star Member
Jul 3, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
JUNE 2012
IELTS are valid only for two years, CIC accepts expired IELTS, CELPIP, TEF.

Provided that you are a Federal Skilled Immigrant.
See link below:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/language-flowchart.asp

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CIC accepts expired IELTS General Training, CELPIP or TEF if you had used those results to apply for your PR in the past. The flowchart (link above) says FSW only but in the text below the flowchart, it says also for CEC.

torontonian2003

Star Member
Mar 12, 2014
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I used the same IELTS score report I submitted in support of my PR application.
General is suffice but I don't see any reason why your Academic IELTS score won't be accepted as it is a more difficult test.
If you have the original IELTS report, just make a copy for your citizenship application. That's what I did, even though the test report has expired. Just be prepared to bring the original with you when you're called in for the citizenship test/interview.
The CIC agent accepted my IELTS report as adequate proof of my language competency. Besides, they will evaluate you informally during the pre-test interview when you go through your supporting documents with the CIC agent. So nothing out of the ordinary English competence you probably already demonstrate everyday while living in the country. If you don't fumble speaking during the interview and demonstrate that you are fully comprehensible, chances are the agent won't pick on your expired IELTS report.
Also if you studied in an English post-secondary school (university, college or professional school) in which you used your IELTS (Academic) report, send copies of your credentials (diploma or transcript)

torontonian2003

Star Member
Mar 12, 2014
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Academic is suitable for application to universities, institutions of higher learning and professional organizations. It is therefore expected to be a more stringent test than IELTS General which is suffice to apply for acceptance in secondary schools, work or more general training in a setting where English is the expected language.

kefche1

Star Member
Sep 24, 2010
torontonian2003 said:
I used the same IELTS score report I submitted in support of my PR application.
Ifyou send it with your PR application how did you get it backinorder tosubmit it for citizenship?
They keep all documents and dont return anything.

torontonian2003

Star Member
Mar 12, 2014
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I only sent a photocopy of my official IELTS report with the rest of my application.

During interview, I realized that the CIC agent has already ticked off my language requirement based on this copy. When we went through my documents, the agent didn't even ask for the original IELTS report. So I prompted the agent if she needed to see the original report as well and she said no. I'm assuming it's because by that time, we were already having a conversation and probably realized that we have no issues communicating with each other.