24-10-2019
Passport Req..
18-Jul-2022
VISA ISSUED...
05-Aug-2022
LANDED..........
11-Jan-2023
Hello everyone,

I am going for second attempt for IELTS general. As per my signature, I didn’t do well in writing and speaking. I kind of expected the writing but speaking score was indeed surprising.

Let’s just motivate each other for the upcoming exam.

Let’s share tips and tricks for different modules.

My speaking is on 2nd April around 08:50 in the morning.

Location UAE (Dubai). British Council.

I am confident in getting a good score for Listening, Reading, and Speaking. However, writing is going to be challenging.

I pray to Allah I get my desired result. Insha allah.

Please post your details like this:

BC/IDP:
Your attempt number :
Which module is challenging for you:

I’ll start.

BC/IDP: BC
Your attempt number: Second
Which module is challenging for you: Writing

Reactions: Naeema Raj

RodRodrigues

Jan 3, 2018
Hello everyone,

I am going for second attempt for IELTS general. As per my signature, I didn’t do well in writing and speaking. I kind of expected the writing but speaking score was indeed surprising.

I am confident in getting a good score for Listening, Reading, and Speaking. However, writing is going to be challenging.

BC/IDP:
Your attempt number :

I’ll start.

How did u manage to get 8.5 in Listening?

MCQ r quite tough for me! I don't know how to tackle it especially when they come in section 3! Matching is challenging as well for me.

Regarding the writing, besides practicing as much as u can, I try to read a great number of samples on different topics in order to have ideas for potential questions as well as enhance the vocabulary. Maybe, If u can afford u can try to send to some professional to assess ur essay n give u a feedback since it seems u r struggling a lot as u said.

All the best man!

nns14

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2018
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Nairobi, Kenya
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-09-2019
AOR Received.
26-09-2019
File Transfer...
24-10-2019
Passport Req..
18-Jul-2022
VISA ISSUED...
05-Aug-2022
LANDED..........
11-Jan-2023
How did u manage to get 8.5 in Listening?

MCQ r quite tough for me! I don't know how to tackle it especially when they come in section 3! Matching is challenging as well for me.

Regarding the writing, besides practicing as much as u can, I try to read a great number of samples on different topics in order to have ideas for potential questions as well as enhance the vocabulary. Maybe, If u can afford u can try to send to some professional to assess ur essay n give u a feedback since it seems u r struggling a lot as u said.

All the best man!
I was so concerned with scoring 8 in Listening that I dedicated majority of my time just practicing that module. The most important thing with Listening is to know how information is given in each section. For instance, section 1 and 2, the answer is given quite obviously with no synonyms. So, it is matter of staying in-tune throughout, even when writing the answer. Watch out for traps as they are quite common in section 1 and 3 (conversations).

General tips:

1. Instructions and Question Types: It is very important to read the instructions for each question type. Don't underestimate this. During practices, I made several errors because of this. In addition, you must practice for each question type, because each one requires different way of handling. For example, map questions in section 2, you must know how to follow instructions; you do this by knowing where each landmark and alphabet is as well as your starting position. If a campus is given within the map, then you must know the directions as the instructor would make references to directions (South, West, etc...). I struggled with map, table completion, form completion, and sentence completion questions. However, I overcame this by analyzing why made mistakes and how to correct before next practice.

Regarding your point, Multiple Choice Questions
, luckily for me, during my studying times, I practiced a lot this type of question so I didn't have much issue with it. What I do is understand what the question is about and its choices when time is given to go through the questions. Listen to the conversation and make SURE you understand what's being said. Don't look for key words as most likely at least two of the choices will be mentioned by the speaker(s). By following and understanding what's being said, most of the answers will be obvious. For the ones you are not sure, use the old trick of elimination; this is done by cancelling out clear wrong answers. I did this with two questions in the last exam as I wasn't sure. Thankfully, I got them. MCQ type of question, traps are common specially in section 3 so be tuned throughout. Fortunately, in answers, we don't have to write words so you won't likely miss out an answer while copying.

2. Manage your time. In each section you will be given some periods to either read or revise your answers. Use your revision time that's given at the end of each section to go through the next section. This is so important. For instance, at the beginning of section 1, you will be given some time to go through question 1-to-6 (or 5). As this section is pretty straight forward, for example, addresses, telephone numbers, names etc... You should spend 5-8 seconds to just check then spend the rest of the time reading first part of section 4! Once example part is started, you can go back to section 1 and re-read again - You should not get less than 10 correct answers here in your practices. Once section 1 finishes, you will be given time to check your answers, but instead you must proceed to section 2. You can repeat this till all four sections are completed.

Last 10 minutes of the exams, make sure you check each answer if it fulfills ISGC (Instruction: your answer should be as per the instructions. Spelling: Ensure there are NO spelling errors. Grammar: This part is so important for complete the sentence questions, the answer should grammatically and logically fit the sentence. Capitalization: This is important for names, places, etc... and for complete the sentence type of questions, if it is the first word, then it must be capitalized. )

3. Know what to expect: By managing your time and knowing the instructions, you would be somewhat familiar with the topic of that section. Predict what the answer could be, location, date/time, noun, verb, adjective etc... Just get some hint for each fill in the blank question what you would be expecting but also keep open mind in case it is not what you expected. For example, don't fixate yourself to just wait for date when it could be something else. In addition, keep an eye for the next question so you could know if you have missed the current one. This way, you won't be stuck and miss several questions.

4. Quickly recover from missed questions: This is one of the hardest thing to do in the exam - Moving to the next question when you haven't answered the current one. It happened to me in section 4 where I missed hearing the 32nd question but luckily I knew what question 33 was about so I moved on. After finishing the section, I put an educated guess ( I heard 'food' at some point and it did make sense given the sentence , so I put).

I know these tips are also given by the experts but I whole heartily agree with them after many practice tests. I wrote these tips based on my experience.

212Progress

Feb 17, 2018
I was so concerned with scoring 8 in Listening that I dedicated majority of my time just practicing that module. The most important thing with Listening is to know how information is given in each section. For instance, section 1 and 2, the answer is given quite obviously with no synonyms. So, it is matter of staying in-tune throughout, even when writing the answer. Watch out for traps as they are quite common in section 1 and 3 (conversations).

General tips:

1. Instructions and Question Types: It is very important to read the instructions for each question type. Don't underestimate this. During practices, I made several errors because of this. In addition, you must practice for each question type, because each one requires different way of handling. For example, map questions in section 2, you must know how to follow instructions; you do this by knowing where each landmark and alphabet is as well as your starting position. If a campus is given within the map, then you must know the directions as the instructor would make references to directions (South, West, etc...). I struggled with map, table completion, form completion, and sentence completion questions. However, I overcame this by analyzing why made mistakes and how to correct before next practice.

, luckily for me, during my studying times, I practiced a lot this type of question so I didn't have much issue with it. What I do is understand what the question is about and its choices when time is given to go through the questions. Listen to the conversation and make SURE you understand what's being said. Don't look for key words as most likely at least two of the choices will be mentioned by the speaker(s). By following and understanding what's being said, most of the answers will be obvious. For the ones you are not sure, use the old trick of elimination; this is done by cancelling out clear wrong answers. I did this with two questions in the last exam as I wasn't sure. Thankfully, I got them. MCQ type of question, traps are common specially in section 3 so be tuned throughout. Fortunately, in answers, we don't have to write words so you won't likely miss out an answer while copying.

2. Manage your time. In each section you will be given some periods to either read or revise your answers. Use your revision time that's given at the end of each section to go through the next section. This is so important. For instance, at the beginning of section 1, you will be given some time to go through question 1-to-6 (or 5). As this section is pretty straight forward, for example, addresses, telephone numbers, names etc... You should spend 5-8 seconds to just check then spend the rest of the time reading first part of section 4! Once example part is started, you can go back to section 1 and re-read again - You should not get less than 10 correct answers here in your practices. Once section 1 finishes, you will be given time to check your answers, but instead you must proceed to section 2. You can repeat this till all four sections are completed.

Last 10 minutes of the exams, make sure you check each answer if it fulfills ISGC (Instruction: your answer should be as per the instructions. Spelling: Ensure there are NO spelling errors. Grammar: This part is so important for complete the sentence questions, the answer should grammatically and logically fit the sentence. Capitalization: This is important for names, places, etc... and for complete the sentence type of questions, if it is the first word, then it must be capitalized. )

3. Know what to expect: By managing your time and knowing the instructions, you would be somewhat familiar with the topic of that section. Predict what the answer could be, location, date/time, noun, verb, adjective etc... Just get some hint for each fill in the blank question what you would be expecting but also keep open mind in case it is not what you expected. For example, don't fixate yourself to just wait for date when it could be something else. In addition, keep an eye for the next question so you could know if you have missed the current one. This way, you won't be stuck and miss several questions.

4. Quickly recover from missed questions: This is one of the hardest thing to do in the exam - Moving to the next question when you haven't answered the current one. It happened to me in section 4 where I missed hearing the 32nd question but luckily I knew what question 33 was about so I moved on. After finishing the section, I put an educated guess ( I heard 'food' at some point and it did make sense given the sentence , so I put).

I know these tips are also given by the experts but I whole heartily agree with them after many practice tests. I wrote these tips based on my experience.
Please can you share some reading materials with me(complete reading passages)??.That is the area I need to improve on..thanks..

Reactions: balaca

nns14

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2018
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Nairobi, Kenya
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-09-2019
AOR Received.
26-09-2019
File Transfer...
24-10-2019
Passport Req..
18-Jul-2022
VISA ISSUED...
05-Aug-2022
LANDED..........
11-Jan-2023
Please can you share some reading materials with me(complete reading passages)??.That is the area I need to improve on..thanks..
Sure. Download official IELTS cambridge books with authentic test papers. You may click HERE

I have downloaded cambridge book 10 and 11 which contain total of 8 complete exam papers along with answer keys.

You may focus on just reading part.

Reactions: Eli31

212Progress

Feb 17, 2018
Sure. Download official IELTS cambridge books with authentic test papers. You may click HERE

I have downloaded cambridge book 10 and 11 which contain total of 8 complete exam papers along with answer keys.

You may focus on just reading part.
Thank you very much...I will download them right away...

Reactions: nns14

Tojued

Feb 28, 2018
Hello everyone,

BC/IDP:
Your attempt number :

I’ll start.

How did your speaking test go?

nns14

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2018
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Nairobi, Kenya
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-09-2019
AOR Received.
26-09-2019
File Transfer...
24-10-2019
Passport Req..
18-Jul-2022
VISA ISSUED...
05-Aug-2022
LANDED..........
11-Jan-2023
How did your speaking test go?
It went quite well. The examiner was very nice and true gentleman.

I focused on three areas:

(i) Being clear. I spoke in moderate speed but leaning towards slowness. I did this so I could make sure lecturer was fully following me and also I could pick and choose words I wanted to say.
(ii) Expanding my answers: I didn't just answer the question but also made sure it was in details with examples if time permitted.
(iii) Vocabulary: I made sure I was using different 'big' words that fitted to the sentence and to the discussion.

I am not sure what I will get and I don't want to speculate because last time I did that didn't go well.

Here are the questions asked in my speaking test today:

PART 1
  • He asked for my full name
  • He asked where I am from
  • Then checked my identification (passport)
  • He asked me whether I work or study (answered: work)
  • Asked whether my job requires training and if the company provided?
  • Will the company send me to future trainings
  • He asked me what I do during my free time? If I do any activities
  • He asked me what sort of activities do people in my country do during free time
  • Asked me if family activities are different during holidays in comparison to non-holiday times
  • Asked me what I remember from first day in high school
  • Asked me whether I enjoyed my time in high school
  • Asked me who was my favorite teacher and why?

PART TWO

Describe a rule in high school that you agreed or disagreed with.
-> What was the rule?
-> Why you agree/disagree ( i think this was the question...)
-> was there consequence if the role was broken by someone

PART 3 (follow questions and discussion on part 2)
  • Is it important to have rules?
  • Should students make rules in school?
  • Should rules be different according to age groups or more general approach should be taken
  • Mention a rule where it is appropriate for certain age but not for others?
  • Do rules change over time?
  • Are there any rules from previous generations that still apply today

RodRodrigues

Jan 3, 2018

General tips:

I have one question....while u listening the MCQs, u read the options? or just concentrate in the audio n then look for the right option?

It is tough when the options r way too long! Cuz if u just listen the conversation it is easier to understand but u have to rush to find the right answer after that n moving on to the next one.

On the other hand, if u look the options simultaneously u may find it straight away, however, u can be trapped more easily since u do no t concentrate only in the listening.

This is my dilemma w big options in MCQs n matching as well!

nns14

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2018
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Nairobi, Kenya
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-09-2019
AOR Received.
26-09-2019
File Transfer...
24-10-2019
Passport Req..
18-Jul-2022
VISA ISSUED...
05-Aug-2022
LANDED..........
11-Jan-2023
I have one question....while u listening the MCQs, u read the options? or just concentrate in the audio n then look for the right option?

It is tough when the options r way too long! Cuz if u just listen the conversation it is easier to understand but u have to rush to find the right answer after that n moving on to the next one.

On the other hand, if u look the options simultaneously u may find it straight away, however, u can be trapped more easily since u do no t concentrate only in the listening.

This is my dilemma w big options in MCQs n matching as well!
You must listen while the audio is being played. Prior to the audio, you must already know what the question and the choices are about. The only thing you do is to listen for the correct answer. Once you get the answer and circle, don't move to the next question till you are sure speakers moved to the next question; you would know this because you already have an idea what the next question is about. This is why it is so important to manage time in listening section.

Reactions: RodRodrigues

RodRodrigues

Jan 3, 2018
You must listen while the audio is being played. Prior to the audio, you must already know what the question and the choices are about. The only thing you do is to listen for the correct answer. Once you get the answer and circle, don't move to the next question till you are sure speakers moved to the next question; you would know this because you already have an idea what the next question is about. This is why it is so important to manage time in listening section.
I see....but is incredible hard to go through all the options when they r long n many.........but i c ur point.......thank u very much

nns14

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2018
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Nairobi, Kenya
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-09-2019
AOR Received.
26-09-2019
File Transfer...
24-10-2019
Passport Req..
18-Jul-2022
VISA ISSUED...
05-Aug-2022
LANDED..........
11-Jan-2023
I see....but is incredible hard to go through all the options when they r long n many.........but i c ur point.......thank u very much
Don't read word by word. Just highlight key words. Plus, if MCQs are in section 2, then you will have initial 30 seconds (time given to check your section 1 answers) and also another 30 seconds which is for section 2 first part. I don't think so. Anyways. If you want, I have exercise I was hoping to attach here but apparently there's no option to attach PDF file and and audio file into here.

You can get from google drive HERE download the PDF file which contains the 10 questions. Read for however long you want. Fully understand the questions and their respective choices. Word by word. Once you are comfortable with them, start playing the audio file (download it as well) then start answering the questions. This will tell you whether the problem is reading the questions and respective choices (time management) or following what's being said. Once you have answered all 10 questions, let me know and I will share the answers with you. I don't want to spoil it for you.

winner1234

Apr 6, 2018
Started The Journey To Canada in December 2017
EE Created Date: not yet
First Attempt (06/02/18) IELTS - L: 6 R: 6 W: 6 S: 6.5
Second Attempt (04/07/18) IELTS - L: - R: - W: - S: -