+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS 30th June 2018 - Preparations - Answer Comparison - Result Discussion

R.A.G

Jul 6, 2018
my first attempt: 3rd Dec
LRWS - 7.5, 7.0, 7.0, 8.0 - this is when i realised the importance of that .5 i missed in listening
2nd attempt - 24 mar
LRWS - 8.0, 8.5, 6.5, 8.0 - i was so focused on my listening that i missed again another .5 in writing :(( gave for reval of writing but i knew that my word limit was less about 225 in task2. so no change
3rd attempt - 30th june
LRWS - 8.5, 8.0, 7.5, 8.0 - unbelievable that I crossed the magic number 8777 and came to CLB 10 in all.
:)) 6 months of IELTS ordeal although like so many of you i have studied English throughout and use it proficiently daily :) it is my first language

Reactions: ersandee

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017
Congratulations for such an outstanding score. Any tips for reading please. How did you score 9. Thanks!
I found reading to be the easiest of all. I did not even practice that much for reading compared to writing and listening.

The things that worked for me was I did Section 3 first, since that is the hardest part. I would recommend spending atleast 30 minutes there. Section 1 is very easy and you can finish it in 10 minutes max and 20 minutes should be enough for section 2. You need to do a lot of skim reading.

Always read the question first clearly and mark the key words in the question and then skim read through the passage and identify those key words and circle them. Then read that sentence of the matching keyword and check whether it matches with the question asked if it is true or false question or it is fill the blanks.

The first question will be in first para and the second question might be in first para or second para but will probably come after the first answer you marked in the first para. So don't read whole passage. Just skim the key words and mark them.

For true or false or not given. You should always remember not to answer based on facts but what is actually given in the passage. The answer in the passage should match 100% with what is asked in the question. Let's say the question asks children under 10 can travel in public buses free of charge.

Now the passage it will say school students travel free of charge.

Unless, they mention about teenagers travel fare or give a specific age category details for travel fare rates that is below age 17. School student here are basically anyone under 17 that means the answer to this is TRUE.

Now suppose the passage says school students are allowed a concession on travel fare. Now this is a trick question, here it doesn't say if the travel fare is free or they have to pay a price. all it says is they get a concession so there is no 100% clear answer. So the answer for this will be Not Given.

Just keep practicing and good luck. PM me if you need more help

Last edited:
Reactions: mr_vishal

Dudelebowski

Star Member
Sep 7, 2017
Hello Everyone,

My First Attempt: 24 March BC India
L-8.0,R-8.5,W-6.5,S-7.5.
Applied EOR for Writing and there is no change in Result.I am pretty sure that BC did not review my application and sent it back after 8 weeks as the BC Customer Care person told the same thing by mistake when I called them.

Second Attempt: 21 April BC India
L-8.0,R-8.5,W-6.5,W-6.5,S-7.5
Applied EOR for Writing and I did not get the Result yet.Its been 6 weeks since I applied for EOR.

Third Attempt : 24 May IDP India
L-8.0,R-8.0,W-6.5,S-7
I was shocked seeing this result as I scored low in Reading and Speaking compared to my previous attempts.Applied for EOR for Speaking and Writing and received the result in 2 weeks with no change in any module.

Fourth Attempt: 30 June IDP India
L-8.5,R-8.0,W-7.0,S-7.5
I was both happy and a tad bit sad seeing this result yesterday.My CRS is 438 now with this score and it would have been 441 had I scored 7.5 in Writing i.e CLB 10 in all modules.

I was very confident after the test that I would score 7.5 in Writing but that did not happen.Do I need to go for EOR for Writing or wait it out till the CRS Draw drops to 438? If by chance, my score gets increased, my CRS shoots up to 441 and might be able to get an invite in the next 2 or 3 draws.

nns14

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2018
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Nairobi, Kenya
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-09-2019
AOR Received.
26-09-2019
File Transfer...
24-10-2019
Passport Req..
18-Jul-2022
VISA ISSUED...
05-Aug-2022
LANDED..........
11-Jan-2023
Now the passage it will say school students travel free of charge.

Unless, they mention about teenagers travel fare or give a specific age category details for travel fare rates that is below age 17. School student here are basically anyone under 17 that means the answer to this is TRUE.

Now suppose the passage says school students are allowed a concession on travel fare. Now this is a trick question, here it doesn't say if the travel fare is free or they have to pay a price. all it says is they get a concession so there is no 100% clear answer. So the answer for this will be Not Given.

Just keep practicing and good luck. PM me if you need more help
Now I see why I didn't get 8 in reading. I got 7.5. I put False on that answer. I got confused with the word 'concession' as I didn't know the meaning. Sigh. I am pretty good with reading and have being scoring above 7 easily.

Congratulations.

Reactions: SithLord

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017
Now I see why I didn't get 8 in reading. I got 7.5. I put False on that answer. I got confused with the word 'concession' as I didn't know the meaning. Sigh. I am pretty good with reading and have being scoring above 7 easily.

Congratulations.
From what I have learnt IELTS is all about synonyms.

It all takes practice and a bit of experience.

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017
Hello Everyone,

My First Attempt: 24 March BC India
L-8.0,R-8.5,W-6.5,S-7.5.
Applied EOR for Writing and there is no change in Result.I am pretty sure that BC did not review my application and sent it back after 8 weeks as the BC Customer Care person told the same thing by mistake when I called them.

Second Attempt: 21 April BC India
L-8.0,R-8.5,W-6.5,W-6.5,S-7.5
Applied EOR for Writing and I did not get the Result yet.Its been 6 weeks since I applied for EOR.

Third Attempt : 24 May IDP India
L-8.0,R-8.0,W-6.5,S-7
I was shocked seeing this result as I scored low in Reading and Speaking compared to my previous attempts.Applied for EOR for Speaking and Writing and received the result in 2 weeks with no change in any module.

Fourth Attempt: 30 June IDP India
L-8.5,R-8.0,W-7.0,S-7.5
I was both happy and a tad bit sad seeing this result yesterday.My CRS is 438 now with this score and it would have been 441 had I scored 7.5 in Writing i.e CLB 10 in all modules.

I was very confident after the test that I would score 7.5 in Writing but that did not happen.Do I need to go for EOR for Writing or wait it out till the CRS Draw drops to 438? If by chance, my score gets increased, my CRS shoots up to 441 and might be able to get an invite in the next 2 or 3 draws.
You can try for Ontario PNP

dearmilkyway

Oct 10, 2017
Congrats to the people who were succeeded. But I am still behind of my target with half band in Listening and Writing sections.
I took IELTS first in 2014 and this year I took it twice. My scores are;

Listening: 7.5
Reading: 8.0
Speaking: 7.0
Writing: 6.5
Overall: 7.5

In Listening, I think map & recording home while learning language parts were wrong.
We had discussed questions here with other IELTS takers. They were right.

My Reading score is enough. I am happy that blackpepper and TFNG parts were correct.

Speaking score is also enough. I could have got more points but I dont worry about it.

Writing is a real barrier to me. I dont know how to move forward. It is my third time and I always get 6.5.

I really dont know what to do about Writing. I tried everything.
Youtube channels, private tutors, everyday practices, complex sentences, memorized clauses, simple words, perfect collocations etc.