+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IEC work permit re-application experience.

Aussie889

Aug 8, 2012
I'm posting this thread in case there's anyone else in my situation and they're not sure what to do. In my case, I'm an Australian national who entered Canada on an IEC 2-year open Working Holiday permit around two years ago. I've just successfully obtained my second work permit, which is identical in all ways to the first. The process to obtain this wasn't the clearest, though, hence I'm making this thread.

First, a few erroneous assumptions I made:
I can extend or otherwise renew my current IEC work permit. --FALSE.
Apparently the IEC work permits are fixed, regardless of what you see on CIC websites telling you that work permits can be extended. I thought this was the case until about a month before my first permit expired. Since a condition of the permits is that you leave Canada on/before the date they expire, I had to find a way to stay (being happily employed and not ready to leave yet). So, I thought I'd just apply for a new IEC work permit and the implied status would see me through the period after my first permit expired.

IEC work permit applications give you implied status in Canada. --FALSE.
I very nearly didn't check this; I only asked a CIC agent on the phone to make absolutely sure, and to my shock they told me that since IEC permits are technically processed *outside* of Canada, if you're in Canada you don't get any implied status from this application. At this point I had two options; apply for a visitor permit extension, or try to get a work permit through the LMO/LMIA route (which, since it'd be processed in Canada, would give implied status). The visitor permit extension application would mean that after my first work permit expired, I'd no longer be able to work, but could remain in the country until the visitor permit expired. I decided to apply for that, since an LMO/LMIA is another time-consuming thing.

As luck would have it, my second IEC WP application only took 9 days from sending it to CIC to getting a positive reply; I had over a week to plan a way to get my new WP. This meant that my visitor permit application ended up being useless, but better safe than sorry (and it only cost 100 CAD). Now came the final trick in the process; I'd have to leave and re-enter Canada to get the new WP. This was done by driving to the Canada-US border and performing a process apparently called 'flagpoling'. The broad steps are:
> Get to the border. You don't need to talk to any Canadian border agents before crossing into the US, apparently.
> Once crossed, tell the US side you're there to do Canadian documentation stuff. The guy at the window will keep your passport, ask you to park and come into the building. They'll give you an 'administrative refusal' piece of paper to show the Canadians after a few minutes.
> Drive back into Canada. The border agent in the window will just ask for your passport, not any of the papers, and ask standard immigration questions. Then you'll be asked to enter their building to finalise the work permit stuff.
> Inside, present your passport with the letter of introduction and proof of health insurance (they're very particular about that). I waited about 10-15 minutes before getting a brand shiny new work permit, valid for another 2 years.

A few notes about the process;
+ From now on if any form asks 'have you been refused entry to a country', I have to answer 'yes' apparently. I'm guessing I can always explain it was for administrative purposes though.
+ Private health insurance is apparently preferred over work-based health plans (i.e. ones that are attached to employment and would go away if your employment terminated).

I'm not sure how many people apply for 2 IEC work permits in a row, but hopefully this helps someone out. If anyone has questions about my application's specifics (which countries to get police checks from, which pages of passport to scan, etc.) feel free to ask.

Marlee

Jan 16, 2014
Montréal, Québec
Category........
Visa Office......
CSQ: BIQ New York; QSW: CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
CSQ: 14-01-2014, QSW: 08-12-2014
Doc's Request.
13-11-2015
Nomination.....
DM: 07-01-2016, CSQ: 15-10-2014
AOR Received.
CSQ: 14-05-2014, QSW: 26-03-2015
IELTS Request
IELTS 8.5 - TEFÀQ C1/C1
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waiver
Passport Req..
Visa-exempt
VISA ISSUED...
COPR received 14-01-2016
LANDED..........
17-01-2016
Currently waiting for my YP to be confirmed on the IEC stage. Thanks for the info, great post! :)

I went to the border with my friend a couple of months ago to get her YP activated. We didn't even have to actually cross the border though. We went directly to the Canadian immigration office which is still on Canadian soil.

newmski

Aug 29, 2014
I am in this same boat and found your post very informing. I have a couple of questions for you before I embark on this same mission:
- What insurance did you have (supplier/ length type etc) I have BC MSP but I know this won't be sufficient for a new visa
- Did you show $2500 in funds?

Aussie889

Aug 8, 2012
newmski said:
I am in this same boat and found your post very informing. I have a couple of questions for you before I embark on this same mission:
- What insurance did you have (supplier/ length type etc) I have BC MSP but I know this won't be sufficient for a new visa
- Did you show $2500 in funds?
My coverage was provided by my employer. And no, the funds weren't even asked for at any point, though I'd prepared for that by bringing supporting documents.

Also, an addendum to my original post: after acquiring your new permit, a few people have to be notified. Probably your employer will want a new photocopy of the new work permit (I know mine did). If you have a provincial health care card, that'll be tied to your old work permit so let your provincial health care people know of the change (usually at a registry office). And lastly, your SIN will also expire at the date of your old work permit's expiry, so I went to a Service Canada place to get that renewed. Note that I didn't get a new SIN, just the expiry date got pushed back another 2 years.

andrew-brit

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2014
Calgary, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-09-2014
Doc's Request.
15-10-2015
AOR Received.
SA: 31-10-2014 In Process: 07-09-2015
File Transfer...
31-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014 extended until 19-10-2016
Passport Req..
DM 05-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-12-2015
LANDED..........
30-12-2015
I did the IEC from June 2011 - June 2013 and it was my understanding that you could only do it for 2 years, and not apply for it again?

I am a Brit

Aussie889

Aug 8, 2012
andrew-brit said:
I did the IEC from June 2011 - June 2013 and it was my understanding that you could only do it for 2 years, and not apply for it again?

I am a Brit
Did you do two one-year work permits, or one two-year one? The upper limit for me is 4 consecutive years, of which I've done 2. The IEC work permit cannot be renewed/extended, but I was allowed to apply for a fresh new one.

andrew-brit

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2014
Calgary, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-09-2014
Doc's Request.
15-10-2015
AOR Received.
SA: 31-10-2014 In Process: 07-09-2015
File Transfer...
31-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014 extended until 19-10-2016
Passport Req..
DM 05-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-12-2015
LANDED..........
30-12-2015
I did 2 one year work permits.

TheAwesomeMatt

Star Member
Jun 26, 2013
Victoria, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-02-2013
AOR Received.
08-21-2013
Med's Request
02-18-2014
Med's Done....
03-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
03-21-2014
LANDED..........
04-06-2014
British people can only do it twice, unless you received a permit prior to 2011 (there was a rule change).

Also an administrative refusal is not the same as being refused by the country and you don't need to mention it on future applications. I had to do the same thing for confirming my PR and they don't record the administrative refusal, they just give you that sheet to provide documentation for CBSA.

annahelene

Oct 20, 2014
Aussie889 - a very useful post. Most people on this forum don't follow up after things have 'worked out' so it is good to hear your experience. Just to clarify, Did you apply online through "Kompass", via 'Sydney' office? And did this take 9 days after receiving confirmation of quota?

I just re-applied today (i am an Aussie, employed, my working holiday visa is set to expire in Jan 2015, i am under 31 so can reapply). I applied online under the WH class (despite being employed, didn't want hassle of LMO), and have got a letter stating there is quota available. I am expecting 6 weeks... 9 days would be nice though!

Thanks
Anna

-

Bird_189

Nov 4, 2014
Great post! i've been researching this for 3 days now and am more confused than when i started. This post is very informative.

My boyfriend and I are in the same situation. Both have full time jobs in Canada, (Vancouver) and our working holiday visas expire 25 Match 2015. Rules are you can only re-apply 12 weeks before your expiry date. so we're getting things in order now.

Few Questions:
Did you fill out your forms as if you were in Australia or did you say you were currently residing in Canada?
Did you have to get an Australian Federal Police Clearance to submit?
We have to go back to Aust. 3 weeks before our visa expires, so hopefully our IEC application is accepted before then and we can re-enter Canada and get our 2nd 2 yr Work Permits.

Aqua084

Dec 11, 2014
Awesome post. Thankyou Aussie889!!!

I second the frustrations experienced by other members trying to work through the confusing information on exactly what you must to do reapply.

My circumstances are basically identical to Bird_189 (with the exception of returning home) so I too have the same questions they did.

Would either of you; Aussie889 or Bird_189, be able to confirm:

Did you fill out your forms as if you were in Australia or did you say you were currently residing in Canada?
Did you have to get an Australian Federal Police Clearance to submit?

Thanks in advance

Dec 29, 2014
Hi Aussie889,

I have a very specific question, also about Police Clearance:

As part of your second IEC application, were you required to produce a police clearance certificate from Canada as you had spent >6 months in Canada?

Thanks for a really informative post, I hope mine only takes 9 days!

Cheers,
Mat

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

matthewjamesboyd1984 said:
Hi Aussie889,

I have a very specific question, also about Police Clearance:

As part of your second IEC application, were you required to produce a police clearance certificate from Canada as you had spent >6 months in Canada?

Thanks for a really informative post, I hope mine only takes 9 days!

Cheers,
Mat
1. No, you don't require a police clearance from Canada, CIC will do it's own name check.

puggz

Jan 4, 2015
I am in the same boat my IEC will run out before before the quota opens in jan 2015..
so with the vistor visa can you apply online or can you only mail it to ottawa?
And am I applying for an exetend vistor visa? ( ive never had a vistor visa before only IEC)