+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IEC work permit expiry to visitor status app - 30 days enquiry

omwtoronto

Apr 4, 2015
Hi guys,

Thanks in advance for all and any advice/help you're able to provide, it is greatly appreciated! Currently here on the IEC work perm expires jan 21st 2021. Have spoken with IRCC a few times and all agents have seemingly confirmed you need not rush to apply 30 days before expiration of your current status, just to submit before expiration of current work permit & i'm aware of the implied status that will carry until a decision is made.

However i've read conflicting comments here, some seem to be certain that applying beyond this timeframe will leave your application with somewhat of a black mark in terms of approval, anybody aware if this will in fact make any difference? Looking to get all docs scanned and app submitted before end of December, hoping to just stay until end of May & actually get to travel before returning home.

Apologies for the confusing post, but in essence looking to get people's experiences recently with regards the 30 days timing & visitor record applications, anxious that applying within 20 days for example will have a hindrance on whether it is accepted (I know this may sound stupid, apologies). Thanks again!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi guys,

Thanks in advance for all and any advice/help you're able to provide, it is greatly appreciated! Currently here on the IEC work perm expires jan 21st 2021. Have spoken with IRCC a few times and all agents have seemingly confirmed you need not rush to apply 30 days before expiration of your current status, just to submit before expiration of current work permit & i'm aware of the implied status that will carry until a decision is made.

However i've read conflicting comments here, some seem to be certain that applying beyond this timeframe will leave your application with somewhat of a black mark in terms of approval, anybody aware if this will in fact make any difference? Looking to get all docs scanned and app submitted before end of December, hoping to just stay until end of May & actually get to travel before returning home.

Apologies for the confusing post, but in essence looking to get people's experiences recently with regards the 30 days timing & visitor record applications, anxious that applying within 20 days for example will have a hindrance on whether it is accepted (I know this may sound stupid, apologies). Thanks again!
It's not entirely clear what you're applying for.

If you're applying to change your status to visitor, then as long as that application is received by IRCC before your IEC expires, there's certainly no black mark. The 30 days is just a guideline and not a rule. You can apply online the day before if you want.

If you plan to apply for a work permit extension without qualifying for one to buy yourself more time in Canada to stay and work until the extension is refused, that may result in a black mark.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi guys,

Sorry - I see from your subject line that you are changing your status to visitor. No issues at all applying close to the IEC expiry. Again, as long as IRCC receives the application before your IEC expires it's not at all a problem to apply with very few days left. Lots of people do this.

omwtoronto

Apr 4, 2015
It's not entirely clear what you're applying for.

If you're applying to change your status to visitor, then as long as that application is received by IRCC before your IEC expires, there's certainly no black mark. The 30 days is just a guideline and not a rule. You can apply online the day before if you want.

If you plan to apply for a work permit extension without qualifying for one to buy yourself more time in Canada to stay and work until the extension is refused, that may result in a black mark.
Hi, thanks for the response!

Only applying to change status to visitor - not applying to extend work permit, or trying to work, once it expires I will not be working, simply travelling/visiting.

Thanks for the advice again, sincerely appreciated!

Reactions: scylla