+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IEC/work permit approved - what about familly members?

Lasip

Jun 7, 2020
Hi guys,

I got approved for a work permit (through IEC).
I just landed a job offer in a NOC B position.

What visa does my wife needs? I understand she can just come with me and they will give her an open work permit at the airport? (No bio-metrics, no police check, no need to apply prior to landing?)
I also have a 9 months old baby, what does he need apart from his passport/birth certificate (FRANCE)?

Cheers,

Lasip

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi guys,

I got approved for a work permit (through IEC).
I just landed a job offer in a NOC B position.

What visa does my wife needs? I understand she can just come with me and they will give her an open work permit at the airport? (No bio-metrics, no police check, no need to apply prior to landing?)
I also have a 9 months old baby, what does he need apart from his passport/birth certificate (FRANCE)?

Cheers,

Lasip
She is not eligible for an SOWP since you are on an IEC (An open permit). She can enter as a visitor. Baby needs ETA if French citizen.
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=841&top=25

Reactions: YVR123

Lasip

Jun 7, 2020
She is not eligible for an SOWP since you are on an IEC (An open permit). She can enter as a visitor. Baby needs ETA if French citizen.
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=841&top=25
Hi, thanks for your help!
It also says:
You may be eligible for an open work permit if you [...]
  • are the spouse or common-law partner of a skilled worker or international student
And
You may be eligible for an open work permit if you’re
  • the spouse or common-law partner of a skilled worker in an occupation under the National Occupational Classification (NOC)skill type 0 or skill levels A or B
    • The skilled worker must be authorized to work for at least 6 months after you apply for your work permit.
I have a job position waiting for me in a skilled B level job, with a job offer, letter of employment...

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, thanks for your help!
It also says:
And
I have a job position waiting for me in a skilled B level job, with a job offer, letter of employment...
She can apply for the SOWP once you are working in Canada for your employer and can provide three payslips with the SOWP application. Both your wife and child need an eTA to enter. Once you have worked enough time in Canada to have the payslips, your wife can apply for the SOWP from within Canada. It won't be possible to apply now or at the border when you arrive since you have an open work permit. You have to wait until you are actually working.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
The type of IEC visa you have is relevant - working holiday or Young Professional. So which one do you have because if working holiday your job offer is not tied to the IEC permit because it is an open work permit. Therefore, your spouse is not eligible for an exemption under C41, which is what you are quoting. If a WHV then you have to be working in Canada and prove you are working with payslips. Then she can apply for a SOWP with your updated job offer letter (at least 6 months). Make sure your spouse and child have health insurance.

Reactions: Lasip and YVR123