+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IEC Travel Insurance - short stay, can I buy 2 policies?

ukca2019

Feb 13, 2019
Hi everyone,

I will be travelling to Canada in the coming weeks to activate my IEC Work Permit. However, due to work-related circumstances, I won't be working in Canada right away. I will be visiting Canada for only a week so that I can get my work permit but I will return to the UK afterwards to finish up some work and will return to Canada at a later date (to be determined).

I understand that I need the two years worth of travel insurance to cover the length of the Work Permit (as stated by Immigration Canada website) but the cost of 2 years travel insurance is quite big, and seeing that I won't be in Canada for quite some time, it seems like the coverage is going to waste.

My question is, is it possible to buy two travel insurance policies such that the coverage purchased from both will cover the duration of the two years i.e. can I buy a policy for 1-2 weeks (covers my 1 week stay in Canada) and a second policy that extends from the third week to the end of the second year of the work permit? The reason for this is to show that I do have the necessary funds to purchase two years' travel insurance for the length of the work permit but I know some companies will allow a full refund on the premium if the customer changes their mind so long as the coverage is not in effect. So when I return to the UK after my 1 week in Canada I am hoping I can cancel the second policy.

Any comments will be truly helpful, thank you all.