+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IEC to spouse open work permit

ernib

Aug 20, 2020
apologies if this has already been queried.

I am a dual australian and british citizen - 30 y.o. currently living in the UK with my british husband 38 y.o.I would like to take advantage of the IEC program through my Australian passport once a vaccine for COVID is found, as I can see they have extended the age for applicants to 35. My husband does not qualify for the IEC. However, looking into it, if i obtained a job of skill level 0, A or B, my husband could apply for a work permit to come and join me and work in canada with me. The types of jobs i would be going for are Skill Level B.

So, if i get my letter of employment, and first weeks payslips, can my husband who would originally have entered as a visitor and then once I have the payslips, flagpole at the border and Apply for the spouse open work permit at the border?

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You are looking way into the future. Getting an IEC from Australia and the UK tends to be competitive. Finding an admin job post covid may still be quite tough. Even after a vaccine has been created covid will likely remain an issue because of anti-vaxxers and people who are immunocompromised who can’t get vaccinated. Getting to herd immunity depends on people actually getting vaccinated around the world. The job market may be pretty tough for years to come and getting a job in Canada tends to be a slower process. Really hard to plan so far in advance given the current covid and economic situation.