+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IEC to OWP - Cancer patient - likelihood of being medically inadmissible?

kostodian

Feb 8, 2015
I have been living in Canada for 3.5 years, my second IEC work permit expires later in the year.

In order to continue living in Canada I have been exploring the option of moving onto a spousal open work permit, (my girlfriend is also here as skilled worker). Eventually we would be interested in PR through CEC. I would be the common law partner.

My health situation raises some questions though, as I have been having cancer treatment on and off for the last couple of years. I've had surgery, radiation, and chemotherapy since my initial diagnosis 2 years ago, and countless number of tests and scans. I've finished my treatment recently and my doctor is confident that I will be fully cured.

Even if I get the all clear in a few weeks, what is my likelihood of being classified as medically inadmissible if I try to move to an open work permit? I know that medical history plays a part in the decision, but would being cured improve my chances? I would still need follow up scans annually for up to 10 years to monitor my health. My girlfriend has also been advised that if I get rejected it could be grounds for her permit to also be cancelled.