+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IEC Spouse - Entry, Banking etc.

greyiee

Jul 30, 2019
Hi all,

My husband and I will be arriving in Canada in a week. My husband has an IEC working holiday visa and he has secured a permanent full time job in NOC A category. He will be starting his new role in mid August.

I have a valid visitor visa to enter Canada.

I have combed through the forum but still not clear on few points. Would be grateful if anyone who have similar experiences could shed some light on these:

1. I understand that generally visitor gets to stay up to 6 months per entry. However, the immigration has the discretion to grant the visitor a shorter or longer stay. Since my husband has a 2 years IEC, would I be automatically granted a longer stay? Do i ask the officer for longer stay? Any documents (such as travel insurance for 2 years)?

2. If it is possible to get longer than 6 months stay as visitor, i will be issued with a Visitor's Record on the spot? What is the requisite fee, if any?

3. Since I need a TRV, is it correct that I am not eligible to apply for open work permit at the airport?

4. As my husband is holding a working holiday visa, he will be obtaining his open work permit at point of entry (instead of closed work permit). As such, i could only apply for open work permit after he has obtained his first full pay slip?

5. Other than my husband's letter of employment and payslip, what other documents should I submit when i apply for open work permit (in land)?

6. Assuming the application documents are in order, how long does it usually take for the open work permit to be granted?

7. Pending for work permit/authorisation to work, how do i open bank account? I note that most banks require SIN for the application.

Thanks in advance for your help.

ernib

Aug 20, 2020
Hi there, I can see nobody replied to this email, however it is my situation exactly. Did you end up getting an open work permit?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi there, I can see nobody replied to this email, however it is my situation exactly. Did you end up getting an open work permit?
Due to covid your situation is very different and your partner does not meet the restrictions to travel to Canada.

greyiee

Jul 30, 2019
Hi there,

Sorry i have been lurking on this forum without logging in. Hence, did not see notification regarding new messages. My reply is 4 months late, but my experience might help somebody:

1. I understand that generally visitor gets to stay up to 6 months per entry. However, the immigration has the discretion to grant the visitor a shorter or longer stay. Since my husband has a 2 years IEC, would I be automatically granted a longer stay? Do i ask the officer for longer stay? Any documents (such as travel insurance for 2 years)? I have a visitor visa (not eTA) and was granted maximum stay period at the airport, i.e. 6 months.

2. If it is possible to get longer than 6 months stay as visitor, i will be issued with a Visitor's Record on the spot? What is the requisite fee, if any? Not possible at point of entry. But i could apply for visitor record (VR) before the expiry of my visitor visa. The VR could be done online via IRCC website. The fee should be C$100 if i am not mistaken. This can be found after you completed the online application.

3. Since I need a TRV, is it correct that I am not eligible to apply for open work permit at the airport? I cannot say for sure. My husband has a IEC working holiday visa. The officer asked if my husband has a job offer, he said no (because we wanted an open work permit). As such, he was given an open work permit. The officer told me i can only get my open work permit when my husband has a job offer and 3 payslips. So i guess, if my husband shared his offer letter, he will be given a closed work permit on the spot, and i will be granted an open work permit at the same time.

4. As my husband is holding a working holiday visa, he will be obtaining his open work permit at point of entry (instead of closed work permit). As such, i could only apply for open work permit after he has obtained his first full pay slip? 3 payslips are required. Thats equivalent to 1.5 months of work (the salary is paid bi-weekly).

5. Other than my husband's letter of employment and payslip, what other documents should I submit when i apply for open work permit (in land)?
I completed the application steps on IRCC website, and prepared the documents listed on the checklist generated based on my information. For me, that includes application form, medical checkup, husband work visa, husband proof of employment, financial statement, photo etc. I brought these document and flagpoled.

6. Assuming the application documents are in order, how long does it usually take for the open work permit to be granted? I was the first to arrived (around 8.30am) and i received my open work permit within 2 hours.

7. Pending for work permit/authorisation to work, how do i open bank account? I note that most banks require SIN for the application. I had a joint-account with my husband when we first arrived. After i received my open work permit, i applied for SIN and set up my own bank account.

Last edited: