+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IEC spouse & dependent visitors help

Mxf38

Mar 5, 2018
Hiya!

My partner (UK citizen) & I (Australian citizen), along with our 5 month old baby (dual UK/Aus citizen) are planning to move to Canada later this year.

I plan to get the IEC (likely to succeed as quota’s not reached) & find a NOC 0, A or B job once I’m in Canada (as my qualifications fall in these jobs), afterwhich my partner can apply for an open work permit with proof of my position (evidenced here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-permit-result.asp?q1_options=1i&q2_options=2d)

Initially my partner will take care of our baby until he can legally work, then we may swap care/work or eventually put her into nursery if we have good jobs.

My questions are:
•How likely is it that my partner & baby would be granted a visitor visa upon arrival (aware it may only be 6 months - happy to leave Canada if we didn’t succeed in finding work etc.)
•Would officials be convinced my partner isn’t going to work illegally given we have a baby & someone needs to take care of her?
•What amount of supporting funds is likely to be necessary?

Thanks in advance!
Denni

Sulwyn

Star Member
Dec 18, 2017
UK is a visa exempt country so he wouldn't need to apply for a TRV. A simple ETA would do to get him through the border. All he has to do is apply for an extension of his visitor status in Canada at around the 30 day mark before his status is about to end.

ernib

Aug 20, 2020
hi there, did your spouse end up getting an open work permit? in the same situation, minus the baby.