+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IEC, OWP, Implied Status and working in Canada.

JamesC85

Apr 19, 2013
I am going from an IEC 2012 to an Open Work Permit, through PR. I have sent in my applications to CIC which arrived in Vegreville last week.

Could I just confirm with the experts that I am now on Implied Status, but CAN'T work? Let's just call it, "non-working Implied Status"?

I understand my IEC is non-extendible but I just want to make sure I am still eligible to stay in Canada, even if I am unable to work legally? I don't have to change my status to visitor or anything? IEC expires July 16th.

Really quite gutted I can't continue to work, it's everything to me right now. My employer tried for an LMO that failed due to some technicalities with job title / job description. I really want shorten the down-time I have off work here, is trying for another LMO probably the quickest way to do so?

Many thanks to all.
James

cdn1

Star Member
May 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March-2012
AOR Received.
July-2012
File Transfer...
July-2012
Med's Done....
March 2012
Passport Req..
Nov. 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 2012
LANDED..........
Dec 2012
I doubt if you can continue to work after the IEC, and before the open work permit.
You will need a work permit to work in Canada.

You will have to re-apply for LMO and try again for work permit, or apply to extend stay in Canada as a visitor.
I'd recommend to try for LMO again with proper way. But LMO is not easy anyway due to recent uproar from the public as Canadians are out of work as well.....tough situation but i hope your PR comes through....good luck

kyc221

Feb 20, 2012
Santiago, Chile
Category........
Visa Office......
Santiago, Chile
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-08-2012
AOR Received.
11-10-2012
Med's Done....
25-05-2012
Passport Req..
26-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
02-05-2013
LANDED..........
20-05-2013
JamesC85 said:
I am going from an IEC 2012 to an Open Work Permit, through PR. I have sent in my applications to CIC which arrived in Vegreville last week.
If this means that you are applying to a PR inland, and sent your papers with a an OWP app included, then yes, you can stay with implied status.
Since IEC doesn't allow for extension, you can't work until you get your OWP ::) You don't need to apply for a change of status --and the only option there would be to change to a visitor, in which case you couldn't work either-- since you have implied status through the PR. Still, you can't work (or have health care in most provinces; I think Alberta is an exception if your spouse is Albertan).

I read recently that the way to prove implied status after your visa expires, is with a copy of the fees paid, copy of the documents sent to Vegreville and that they received them.

JamesC85

Apr 19, 2013
kyc221 said:
If this means that you are applying to a PR inland, and sent your papers with a an OWP app included, then yes, you can stay with implied status.
Since IEC doesn't allow for extension, you can't work until you get your OWP ::) You don't need to apply for a change of status --and the only option there would be to change to a visitor, in which case you couldn't work either-- since you have implied status through the PR. Still, you can't work (or have health care in most provinces; I think Alberta is an exception if your spouse is Albertan).

I read recently that the way to prove implied status after your visa expires, is with a copy of the fees paid, copy of the documents sent to Vegreville and that they received them.
Thanks for the info everyone, and kyc221 I think you are correct. All I can do now is apply for an LMO and hope it comes through, or wait and twiddle my thumbs until Stage 1 is complete. Oh man this is gonna take a while!