+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IEC - Moving with girlfriend as visitor

dziend0bry

Jun 8, 2020
Hello,
I've got POE and we're planning to move in February 2021, but we'd like to activate only mine WP on the border and my girlfriend would enter to Canada as visitor, because after 3 months we'd like to make flagpole for her and activate her own WP because we're in common law and i'll be working in NOC B (at least i hope so :D)

BUT.. what should we say on the airport to the officers? I - it's simple, i have POE, i'd like to activate my WP, but she? I think we cannot say something like "oh, hello, i have poe and please activate it but she is only visitor and after 3 months we are going to blablabla..."

Or we can?
Or maybe she should say "I'm here for vacation, i have return ticket etc"

What do you think?

Thanks

Yqing237

Jun 12, 2019
Hello,
I've got POE and we're planning to move in February 2021, but we'd like to activate only mine WP on the border and my girlfriend would enter to Canada as visitor, because after 3 months we'd like to make flagpole for her and activate her own WP because we're in common law and i'll be working in NOC B (at least i hope so :D)

BUT.. what should we say on the airport to the officers? I - it's simple, i have POE, i'd like to activate my WP, but she? I think we cannot say something like "oh, hello, i have poe and please activate it but she is only visitor and after 3 months we are going to blablabla..."

Or we can?

What do you think?

Thanks
If you don’t mind me asking. When and where did you get WP from?

jafran8564

Apr 3, 2019
Sydney
Category........
WP
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01/02/2020
Hello,

Or we can?

What do you think?

Thanks
Congrats on the work permit!

How did you manage to get a POE letter when IEC invitation rounds are on hold?

There is no issue coming into Canada initially as a visitor (see below link) and activating the work permit later by flag poling when you are ready to do so - just be sure to be honest with the immigration officer as they might query why your girlfriend does not have a return ticket or way too much luggage as a visitor

Hopefully the USA - Canada border opens up by Feb 2021 :)

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1249&top=25

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

There is no issue coming into Canada initially as a visitor (see below link) and activating the work permit later by flag poling when you are ready to do so - just be sure to be honest with the immigration officer as they might query why your girlfriend does not have a return ticket or way too much luggage as a visitor

Usually PEO letters are valid for a year. If OP's is vaid until Feb 2021, it was most likely issued in Feb 2020 - so before the COVID-19 shut downs.

jafran8564

Apr 3, 2019
Sydney
Category........
WP
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01/02/2020
Usually PEO letters are valid for a year. If OP's is vaid until Feb 2021, it was most likely issued in Feb 2020 - so before the COVID-19 shut downs.
of course.......for some reason, i assumed the poster "just" received the POE letter

dziend0bry

Jun 8, 2020

Yes! I know there's not issue coming as visitor but i'm wondering how she can satisfy the border officer that she's entering as visitor and WON'T BE working there. Because she WON'T, only i'm going to work, till i get 3 pay bills and ask for her own WP.

+1

I got my POE in Feb 2020 before covid-lockdown and i do hope that everything come back to normal and we'll be able to cross the border in Feb 2021 :)

So in sum:

We are on the airport, both of us have return tickets to home, i'm coming to activate my WP and she is coming to kiosk and then to the officer and says something like "i'm here with my boyfriend, he has WP from IEC program, but we cannot live without each other so i decided to come here with him but i'm not going to work here"

Or maybe there's a second option because if the IEC pool is open again, she will send her application and probably hopefully in Feb 2021 she'll get her own IEC, so she'll tell something like that "i have WP from IEC, but i don't like to activate my WP yet, because i'd like to recognize Canada and find employer etc etc that's why i want to enter here as visitor" - so i think it'll be better option, than the first one.

The second option is better for us, because if my WP will be about to expire in Feb 2022, she'll activate her own and i'll be "under her IEC" - if you know what i mean - the same what we're planning to do with her.

We are just looking for the best option to have 2 years of WP, because one year WP is to little time to getting an invitation to PNP in Alberta where we're planning to move.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes! I know there's not issue coming as visitor but i'm wondering how she can satisfy the border officer that she's entering as visitor and WON'T BE working there. Because she WON'T, only i'm going to work, till i get 3 pay bills and ask for her own WP.

+1

I got my POE in Feb 2020 before covid-lockdown and i do hope that everything come back to normal and we'll be able to cross the border in Feb 2021 :)

So in sum:

We are on the airport, both of us have return tickets to home, i'm coming to activate my WP and she is coming to kiosk and then to the officer and says something like "i'm here with my boyfriend, he has WP from IEC program, but we cannot live without each other so i decided to come here with him but i'm not going to work here"

Or maybe there's a second option because if the IEC pool is open again, she will send her application and probably hopefully in Feb 2021 she'll get her own IEC, so she'll tell something like that "i have WP from IEC, but i don't like to activate my WP yet, because i'd like to recognize Canada and find employer etc etc that's why i want to enter here as visitor" - so i think it'll be better option, than the first one.

The second option is better for us, because if my WP will be about to expire in Feb 2022, she'll activate her own and i'll be "under her IEC" - if you know what i mean - the same what we're planning to do with her.

We are just looking for the best option to have 2 years of WP, because one year WP is to little time to getting an invitation to PNP in Alberta where we're planning to move.
What passport does she hold?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Polish, like me, so we have only year IEC per one person. That's why we try to increase this time.
The reason why I asked is that the IEC programs for some countries require you to be living in Canada country at the time you apply. Poland has no such restriction - so she would be good to apply from Canada.

dziend0bry

Jun 8, 2020
The reason why I asked is that the IEC programs for some countries require you to be living in Canada country at the time you apply. Poland has no such restriction - so she would be good to apply from Canada.

Oh, i didn't know! :O
That's good, but even though i hope everything will be come back to normal and she'll be able to apply before our flight to Canada.

Btw - could you tell me how it works, for example: she gets 6 month period as visitor, i (fortunately) find job in the first month in Canada, after 3 months we are going to officers and show them my 3 pay bills and ask them for give her OWP (because i work in NOC B and have these 3 pay bills)

How long she will wait for her WP?

I saw information on the Canada Government's website that now it's 3 months - but what if she has only 6 months visitor visa? Will she get something like "implied status" for time of waiting?

stevenr11

Sep 30, 2022
Oh, i didn't know! :O
That's good, but even though i hope everything will be come back to normal and she'll be able to apply before our flight to Canada.

Btw - could you tell me how it works, for example: she gets 6 month period as visitor, i (fortunately) find job in the first month in Canada, after 3 months we are going to officers and show them my 3 pay bills and ask them for give her OWP (because i work in NOC B and have these 3 pay bills)

How long she will wait for her WP?

I saw information on the Canada Government's website that now it's 3 months - but what if she has only 6 months visitor visa? Will she get something like "implied status" for time of waiting?
Hey, did you ever get a resolution on this?