+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IEC - INTENT WORRY ABOUT APPLICATION

Bicameral94

Jan 8, 2019
Hi everyone,

This might be a bit long-winded, so thanks in advance for reading:

I've just been invited to apply for an IEC visa (as of 7th Jan).

I'm currently taking an extended holiday (went with the full 6 month duration of ETA, had the intention of booking my return flight when I was ready) in Canada with my family, who have lived here for four years. I recently left my permanent job in the UK due to stress-burnout and a bad break-up, hence the desire to sort my head out away from the UK.

When I arrived in Canada, I didn't really give any thought to staying any longer than a holiday. I told the immigration officer - who seemed very sceptical of my situation - the same. She observed that I was of a migratory age, had no current employment back home and that my immediate family (mum, dad, sister) all reside in Canada as permanent residents.

I understood her reservations about my situation and explained honestly that I'm here to visit, that 6 months won't necessarily be the duration of my visit, and that I'll be returning back to the UK regardless.

She proceeded to grant my visitor visa for the full duration, citing that my travel history (visited and returned from Canada 5 times in the last 5 years) held up to scrutiny.

After spending the last 2 months or so with my family, they've convinced me to give it a go out here and apply for the IEC visa.

Here's my dilemma:

If the immigration officer had such hesitation about letting me into Canada on a visitor visa, how likely is it that the officer assigned to my IEC application won't feel the same?

Given my status as a single, 24 year old whose direct family live in Canada, I'm really nervous that my application will be rejected on this basis.

My ties to home include:

• I have a fixed, permanent abode in the UK
  • I am a secondary caregiver to my grandma
  • I have, for all intents and purposes, a permanent job offer at my friend's bar when I return to the UK (in the same town as my grandma and permanent abode)
  • I have a UK bank account from which I still pay UK vehicle tax, and my UK phone bill

Can anyone shed any light or offer help on my situation? Is it worth asking my grandma and friend to writer letters of testimony to prove that I have ties to the UK? Should I book my return flight to prove I'm willing to return home? Any advice would be appreciated greatly.

I know I haven't actually submitted my application yet, so I can't be certain about the outcome. But, I'd be gutted if my application was rejected, honestly. I've grown to really like Canada and would love to work here, too!

Thanks everyone.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
First a correction in that an ETA is an authority to travel to Canada, it is not a visa or an authority to stay in Canada for any period of time.

As for your concerns you are worrying about nothing in my opinion given all the obstacles you are putting in the way generally probably would not even be considered for an IEC application and probably not even be assessed as part of an application.

Based on your post can only assume that you maybe shared more information with CBSA than you should have beyond visiting relatives, Although being unemployed might have started off a whole different conversation about your intentions hence the CBSA hesitation in allowing you an extended stay, plus not sure when you talk about booking a return whether you were on a one way or an open ticket, the latter being another red flag for someone unemployed with close Canadian relatives. Advice with CBSA is to only answer questions asked and not to volunteer anything extra.

As you say you still are a UK perm resident with a UK passport , the qualifying age for an IEC and given you are only visiting you will be stating that you are applying from/living in the UK .Probably not a good idea to start adding in any extra documentation to support your application such as letters from Grandma just keep the application simple and to the point with the information required including police certificate etc..

Nobody here can do anything but speculate on any outcome so all you can do is put the application in, answer any questions on the application honestly but do not add anything not asked for plus If IRCC want you to provide anything extra they will ask for it.

Above just my personal view but keep in mind that if you have already been in the country 2 plus months there is a possibility your IEC might not complete processing in that remaining time so whilst you could apply to extend stay as a visitor might need to think of returning to UK for a while, your decision..

Also if is is approved whilst you are still visiting then you will need to flagpole at a US border and be prepared to reenter Canada with 2 years UK travel insurance and access to 2500 CDN. Anything less and your permit will either not be issued or issued for a shorter than 2 year duration.

As said all above personal view so good luck and just get that application in.

PS if you want a more specific assurance then post as well in https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/ which is more UK biased forum

Last edited:

Bicameral94

Jan 8, 2019
Thanks very much @Bs65, that's helped allay some fears.

As a follow-up: do the CBSA and IRCC have much communication in this regard? I.e. will my statements/info shared with the CBSA officer be available to the IRCC officer?

And thanks for the tips re: CBSA. Will keep in mind in the future!

Not too worried re: time expiry for application. My visitor visa isn't up until May. Worst comes to it, I can get a boomerang flight!

Thanks again,

BennyD

Nov 10, 2018
I have been unemployed for 3-4 years due to family issues.

Would that be a refusal? I can get all the money together for the visa.