+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IEC health insurance - Australia

jessinator

Jun 24, 2012
Hi,

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong section I'm new to this site!

So my situation is this:

I am an Australian living in Canada on the IEC working holiday visa and it is due to expire in July. I have already received my LOI for my next application I am just confused as to what i should show as proof of health coverage. I work at Vancouver General Hospital and receive health coverage through my employer, does this mean I do not need to buy any kind of special insurance? And what will I need to show them, would my job offer letter stating the coverage I receive be enough?

If anyone knows how this would work please let me know, it would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!
Jess :)

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

jessinator said:
Hi,

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong section I'm new to this site!

So my situation is this:

I am an Australian living in Canada on the IEC working holiday visa and it is due to expire in July. I have already received my LOI for my next application I am just confused as to what i should show as proof of health coverage. I work at Vancouver General Hospital and receive health coverage through my employer, does this mean I do not need to buy any kind of special insurance? And what will I need to show them, would my job offer letter stating the coverage I receive be enough?

If anyone knows how this would work please let me know, it would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!
Jess :)
1. You may get away with showing your MSP, but if the BSO sticks to the rules, you need health insurance that has reparation in it, which MSP doesn't

jessinator

Jun 24, 2012
Thanks! I don't think I will get away with it anyway... my care card expires July (to match the visa of course) and apparently I'm not allowed to have that renewed until I receive my new work permit.

What I wonder is will they be ok if I get the shortest health insurance plan I can find? If I got say a 3 months plan since I have a permanent job and i know as soon as I get my new visa I'll be able to get MSP renewed are they going to make a fuss that I'm not 'covered' for the length of time I am intending to stay?

I'm hoping it will go like the first time when they ignored my papers, gave me my visa and sent me on my way... didn't even ask me a single question!

Thanks,
Jess