+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IEC extension

Lacansa

Oct 31, 2017
Hi everyone,

My IEC permit is approaching (Dec 14th). When i came into the country last December, immigration gave me a one year woek permit.

I know that i am not allowed to apply again for another IEC. My question is, because I wasn't given two years, am I able to extend it for the second year?

Thanks

Lacansa

Oct 31, 2017
So why were you only issued a 1 year was that due to your country limitation, did you not have 2 years insurance or was their an error at the time in which case you should have followed up immediately and not so late given may well be too late to resolve.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/extend/iec.asp
There was no error, the person at immigration stated he was giving me one year and I may apply for extension near the end of my one year permit.

They did not ask for travel insurance, or proof of funds at entry. I am also pretty sure, being from Australia, the limit for me is 2 years.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
You should really have applied for a correction soon after your permit was issued as per the link above.

Have heard of other people getting 12 months when they should have got 24 months, they followed the process to extend due to a mistake on issue and got their permit reissued for full 24 months. Problem is that it is a paper application that takes about 3 months to process hence they applied straight away along with copies of everything to confirm they should have got 24 months.

Read the link anyway but will cost to apply, believe 100 dollars not sure but there is a fee as was not IRCC that made an error but CBSA http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/extend/iec.asp

Also and others can comment no idea if once you apply you are on implied status pending a decision or if you have to stop working and flip to visitor status pending a decision. If successful the revised permit would be mailed to a Canadian address so no flagpoling.

Last edited:

Lacansa

Oct 31, 2017
You should really have applied for a correction soon after your permit was issued as per the link above.

Have heard of other people getting 12 months when they should have got 24 months, they followed the process to extend due to a mistake on issue and got their permit reissued for full 24 months. Problem is that it is a paper application that takes about 3 months to process hence they applied straight away along with copies of everything to confirm they should have got 24 months.

Read the link anyway but will cost to apply, believe 100 dollars not sure but there is a fee as was not IRCC that made an error but CBSA http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/extend/iec.asp

Also and others can comment no idea if once you apply you are on implied status pending a decision or if you have to stop working and flip to visitor status pending a decision.
Unfortunately I did not realise that this could be deemed as an error, otherwise I would have done the process you suggested much earlier. I took what the immigration person said at face value, as I would have expected they knew what they were talking about.

Thank you for your replies and help.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Unfortunately I did not realise that this could be deemed as an error, otherwise I would have done the process you suggested much earlier. I took what the immigration person said at face value, as I would have expected they knew what they were talking about.

Thank you for your replies and help.
Unfortunately at times it can seem that CBSA and IRCC are in different worlds .

All can suggest is you follow the process for incorrect validity fill in form IMM5710 as per the instructions pay the fee, attach proof of payment a barcoded sheet from the payment site plus copies of your current permit, insurance and also attach a letter of explanation.

Mail it to the correct address as sign for.

In mean time call IRCC to confirm you would be on implied status pending a decision. Should be no issue getting the permit correctly issued just takes a while being a paper application.