+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IEC Expiring at the end of this month, how to stay as visitor

s33d5

Apr 6, 2022
My visa expires in a few weeks, I was meant to be getting a closed work permit from my employer. This is taking too long and I should have gone for the visitor visa.

It looks like I would need to get the visitor visa, which has an incredible wait time on it at the moment. I assume no implied visitor status is given when you apply?

If I were to drive down to the USA border and back up, could I enter as a visitor that way? I'm a uk citizen.

Thank you

Fabiog

Mar 22, 2017
Hello,
Has your employer already filed for the work permit on his end? (the lmia sponsorship?)
As long as you apply for visitor record before your current visa expires you will be under implied visitor status. If you leave Canada and try to come back it is as if you are coming as a tourist and yes you can get a visitor visa that way but be prepared to answer questions about what you have been doing in canada.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
My visa expires in a few weeks, I was meant to be getting a closed work permit from my employer. This is taking too long and I should have gone for the visitor visa.

It looks like I would need to get the visitor visa, which has an incredible wait time on it at the moment. I assume no implied visitor status is given when you apply?

If I were to drive down to the USA border and back up, could I enter as a visitor that way? I'm a uk citizen.

Thank you
Save your gas money, apply online.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5551-applying-change-conditions-extend-your-stay-canada.html

You do get implied visitor status upon applying this way.