+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IEC > BOWP > PR (CEC) - am I understanding this correctly?! Not an implied status question :)

lisajane6884

May 18, 2018
Sorry to ask yet another question about IEC > BOWP > PR (CEC) but I'm hoping some kind soul might help provide some reassurance I've understood my situation correctly.........

I'm on an IEC work permit, expiring 4 June 2018. I've applied for PR under the Express Entry CEC program - my application is at IP1 stage (so it's in progress, I'm not just waiting for an invite from the pool). I've applied for a BOWP to allow me to keep working until they make a decision on my PR application. I applied for the BOWP on Monday 14 April and if I'm looking at the right thing on the processing time calculator (new work permit, not work permit extension), then it's currently a 5 week processing time for BOWP's.

This means that my IEC will expire around 1 and a half weeks before the 5 week processing time for the BOWP.

I know that the topic of implied status is GREATLY debated, so on the basis that I'll be planning to stop working when my IEC expires, here's my questions:

1 - is my BOWP application still valid even if my IEC expires before it's processed? My understanding is that I had to have a valid work permit at the time of application and the fact my IEC expires during processing will not have a negative impact on the application.
2 - do I have implied visitor status between my IEC expiring and the BOWP coming through or do I need to physically apply for a visitor visa?
3 - the visitor visa asks for proof of funds - would I need to show enough funds to support myself until the BOWP comes through or until my PR is approved (a much longer time frame!)
4 - if I stop working until my BOWP is approved - which hopefully would just be for a couple of weeks - can I take vacation time from work or does it need to be unpaid leave to quality as 'not working'?

A massive thank you in advance to anyone who might be able to help!

Cheers,
Lisa

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Sorry to ask yet another question about IEC > BOWP > PR (CEC) but I'm hoping some kind soul might help provide some reassurance I've understood my situation correctly.........

I'm on an IEC work permit, expiring 4 June 2018. I've applied for PR under the Express Entry CEC program - my application is at IP1 stage (so it's in progress, I'm not just waiting for an invite from the pool). I've applied for a BOWP to allow me to keep working until they make a decision on my PR application. I applied for the BOWP on Monday 14 April and if I'm looking at the right thing on the processing time calculator (new work permit, not work permit extension), then it's currently a 5 week processing time for BOWP's.

This means that my IEC will expire around 1 and a half weeks before the 5 week processing time for the BOWP.

I know that the topic of implied status is GREATLY debated, so on the basis that I'll be planning to stop working when my IEC expires, here's my questions:

1 - is my BOWP application still valid even if my IEC expires before it's processed? My understanding is that I had to have a valid work permit at the time of application and the fact my IEC expires during processing will not have a negative impact on the application.
2 - do I have implied visitor status between my IEC expiring and the BOWP coming through or do I need to physically apply for a visitor visa?
3 - the visitor visa asks for proof of funds - would I need to show enough funds to support myself until the BOWP comes through or until my PR is approved (a much longer time frame!)
4 - if I stop working until my BOWP is approved - which hopefully would just be for a couple of weeks - can I take vacation time from work or does it need to be unpaid leave to quality as 'not working'?

Cheers,
Lisa
1. Yes, your BOWP app is still valid.

2. Yes, you will have Implied Status as a visitor once your IEC permit expires. You do not need to apply to change your status to visitor.

3. N/A.

4. Either/or, doesn't matter.

Reactions: lisajane6884

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
Sorry I deleted my reply, I need to do a bit of study on IEC regulations. I think I was wrong on my first reply. I'll get back to your post if I got an answer.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Sorry to ask yet another question about IEC > BOWP > PR (CEC)
1 - is my BOWP application still valid even if my IEC expires before it's processed? Yes

2 - do I have implied visitor status between my IEC expiring and the BOWP coming through...? Yes, however, note that if you leave Canada while on implied status, you will lose implied status.

Um... I would think that means you cannot be employed, and being on vacation is considered employment...
/QUOTE]

Reactions: monkeyspanner

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi @jes_ON , @canuck_in_uk and others

Need help...received my GCMS and here is the link to the notes pic

Please let me know what I can do...it says review required on eligibility and on the other hand also mentions the points which seems to be above the minimum requirements.
Looks like you are in luck... despite not providing adequate proof of work experience for your "primary occupation" you still had enough other experience (with adequate letters of reference) and they let it slide... many others have been refused for this, so - to other applicants - the lesson learned is, even though you only get credit for 3 years of foreign work experience, if you have less then solid proof of work experience, you should include more years of work experience to make up for any jobs that do not receive credit... and be careful which one you chose as your primary occupation - make sure you have strong proof for that...

Reactions: aliabbashusain

aliabbashusain

Star Member
Sep 28, 2016
Looks like you are in luck... despite not providing adequate proof of work experience for your "primary occupation" you still had enough other experience (with adequate letters of reference) and they let it slide... many others have been refused for this, so - to other applicants - the lesson learned is, even though you only get credit for 3 years of foreign work experience, if you have less then solid proof of work experience, you should include more years of work experience to make up for any jobs that do not receive credit... and be careful which one you chose as your primary occupation - make sure you have strong proof for that...
Thanks a lot @jes_ON for your quick reply and this gives me some relief...but should I be worried for anything at this stage as they have issued with my primary NOC? My AOR is 7th feb 2018 and the comment was last made on 9th March 2018 and no update after that..not atleast until 17th April when I applied for GCMS

aliabbashusain

Star Member
Sep 28, 2016
Hi again @jes_ON

I received another set of GCMS and there has been no activity on my account since March where the last comment by the analyst was a review on my R75 minimum requirement. The GCMS received today is exactly the same as the one I applied in April which means they're just sitting on the application since March...

I've already mentioned in my LOE that the organisation in question is not ready to issue a duty letter. They can just not consider that profile coz even without it I'm scoring 77 points as commented by the case analyst below.

Any suggestions? My AOR is 7th Feb..thanks

Below is the comment that was last updated in March and it has been the same since then

RECOMMENDATION: Review required SUMMARY NOTES: UNABLE TO VERIFY PA HAS ON YEAR OF WORK EXPERIENCE IN DECLARED PRIMARY NOC BASED ON DOCUMENTATION PROVIDED A11.2: Appears Met R75: FSW MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS - Review Required R76: SELECTION CRITERIA - FSW POINTS/Funds: Appears Met FSW points total: 77 Ready to Finalise RPRF: Complete
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comprehensive Raking System(CRS) Score at invitation to apply (ITA) 446 CRS points minimum score for round: 439 CRS score at application(APR) 441 I have reviewed the following CRS points: PA gained points as MARRIED at ITA and APR PA gained points for 3+ year(s) Foreign work experience with XXXXX(company 1-UK) & XXXXX(company 1-India) & XXXXX(company 3-India)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INTEGRATED SEARCH (FOSS/GCMS): No trace for all other than present application

FAMILY COMPOSITION: MARRIED since 2011, marriage certificate is on file; Spouse is ACOMPANYING No indication of previous marriage/cl partners 1 child accompanying; Birth certificate reviewed: PA and Spouse listed as parents NOTE: SP'S NAME DOES NOT APPEAR ON MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE OR CHILD'S BIRTH CERT - AFFIDAVIT RE LEGAL CHANGE OF NAME EDOC, MEDICALS: All valid for 6 months or more, PASSPORTS: All valid for 6 months or more

EXPERIENCE: Lock in date: 2018-02-07 Primary Occupation: NOC 1112 Financial and Investment Analysts EDUCATION CREDENTIAL(S) PROVIDED: Master's Degree: Business Administration from Uni of Wales 2011; Bachelor's Degree: Management Studies from uni of Mumbai 2005 2011-03 to 2012-05 - Sr Operations Manager(NOC 1215) at XXXX(company 1-UK) – Letter dated 15-06-05 appears to confirm employment in declared occupation throughout the specified period, and provides a job description which is consistent with the lead statement and main duties as set out in the declared NOC category. – Letter confirms full time employment;

CRS Foreign work experience: 1 year and 4 months. 2013-09 to 2016-04 – Analyst (NOC 1112) – at XXXX(company 2 – India) *REVIEW REQUIRED* - Web based search confirms employer information NOTE: LOE CONFIRMS DECLARED WORK PERIOD AND JOB TITLE, JOB DUTIES NOT PROVIDED. PA HAS PROVIDED A SELF DECLARATION STATING JOB DUTIES CONSISTENT WITH DECLARED NOC HOWEVER UNABLE TO CONFIRM BASED ON INFORMATION PROVIDED FROM COMPANY; PA DOES NOT APPEAR TO HAVE EDUCATION CREDENTIALS CONSISTENT WITH FINANCIAL DUTIES - Letter confirms full time employment; - Documented income provided: Pay Stubs from 2013-2016

2016-07 to 2017-12 – Manager – Group license administration (NOC 1122) at XXXX(Company 3 – India) Web based search confirms employer information – Letter dated 17-12-12 appears to confirm employment in declared occupation throughout the specified period and provides a job description which is consistent with the lead statement and main duties as set out in the declared NOC category. NOTE: ADJUSTED END DATE OF WORK PERIOD FROM DECLARED 2018-02 TO DATE OF LOE: 2017-12 – Letter confirms full time employment; - Documented Income provided: Pay Stubs from 2016-2017 CRS Foreign work experience 1 year and 6 months. FSW work: 0 year(s) 0 months(s) of 1 year(s) – REVIEW REQUIRED CRS Foreign Work: 3+ year(s)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------WORK EXPERIENCE: 4-5 years, 13 FSW Points

ADAPTABILITY: 5 fsw Points spouse has language proficiency

SETTLEMENT FUNDS: Appears to meet approx. $$$ as per bank statement, family of 3 requires $19093

cellarbelow

Sep 10, 2018

Cheers,
Lisa
Hi Lisa, I have been in a very similar situation to you, what is your status? Did you receive your BOWP?