+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IEC applying for PR and Implied Status

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yeah you can. that parts already been answered.

purplesnow said:
Say you apply for the bridging permit next week. That will buy you approximately 3 more months where you can work. But in that time you need to have gotten your 600 points, been pulled from the pool, submitted your PR app and reached the eligibility passed stage, before they begin processing your bridging, in order for that to be approved. Its a little unlikely I'm afraid.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/permit/implied.asp
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=474&t=4

Kiki10

Star Member
Jun 19, 2015
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
11-09-2015
now I am confused....

My IEC is finishing in 2 weeks but I am waiting for an LMIA. So can I apply for Bridging permit or implied status and continue to work until I will get rejection or LMIA?

I was sure that I have the only option because of IEC is to change status and to get Visitor visa!!!!

Please let me know

dannoscott

Apr 2, 2015
Glad im not the only one in this boat!! Such a grey area. Mines up on the 15th of this month (GULP) and was gonna do this. Then the otherday i heard a horror story of a guy who said they almost rejected his PR because he did this. Im debating if i go onto a Tourist visa or not. Dont wanna quit my work but dont want it to effect my PR app later on. Im on 444 so hoping for a ITA soon.

Are we 90-100% sure that if you do this, it wont have a detrimental effect on your PR later down the line??!?

Conor9900

Jun 20, 2013
This is a risky stage of the application process - I'm on an IEC and I know a lot of IEC people do go on to implied status after applying for a BOWP, but Scylla who commented earlier, and who seems pretty well informed, mentioned on another thread that he has heard of examples of visa officers at the border who refused to issue PR because IEC applicants were working on implied status when they should not have been. Written clarification from CIC would be a huge help in this regard, though fat chance of that ever happening

Canadian__Irish

Jun 17, 2015
I would be careful with going to visitor status. Prepare yourself for the worst, and hope for the best!

I tried that from an IEC visa, and because I had shown interest in PR (I had already received an ITA) they told me they weren't satisfied I'd leave Canada if for some reason PR didn't come through. I was issued what is called an allowed to leave, and given 3 weeks to leave the country.

Conor9900

Jun 20, 2013
Oh that's interesting (and unfortunate) Canadian_Irish, was this recently? Did you have to go back to Ireland to wait for your PR? Is visitor status the same as just being a tourist in Canada? Because we're allowed do that for 6 months a year anyway from Ireland I thought, is that the same as visitors status or is visitors status a class of its own?

Canadian__Irish

Jun 17, 2015
Conor9900 said:
Oh that's interesting (and unfortunate) Canadian_Irish, was this recently? Did you have to go back to Ireland to wait for your PR? Is visitor status the same as just being a tourist in Canada? Because we're allowed do that for 6 months a year anyway from Ireland I thought, is that the same as visitors status or is visitors status a class of its own?
Yup, this was just in April this year. I'm back home now waiting "patiently" for PR. And yes, you are allowed to stay as a tourist for 6 months however, you have to satisfy the officer you will leave at the end of your visa and show you have significant ties to your home country and my interest in PR showed that I wanted to stay in Canada permanently, which the officer said made her unsure if I would leave if I didn't get it.

Conor9900

Jun 20, 2013
Oh right. Did you go to the border to try to change to visitor status? Hope you get your PR soon, that's very disruptive. And totally unreasonable to assume you're just going to just start working illegally to avoid going home, it's not like Ireland is a warzone

mathewredfearn

May 10, 2015
So the question still is can we do this and legally work while we wait for them to say no?

I'm actually going to see a lawyer about this tomorrow as my visa runs out on the 14th! But I don't know how much help they will be as a friend of mine in exactly the same situation went to see a lawyer and they actually told him to do this and did it for him to get an extra 3 months work here...

It's so furstrating!

dannoscott

Apr 2, 2015
Well Matt. Im on the phone to CIC (hold for 30 minutes and counting) and im also going to be going down to a immigration Advice Center shortly. So will see what they say. I know people who have done it.

But im kinda Bricking it!!!

Canadian__Irish

Jun 17, 2015
Conor9900 said:
Oh right. Did you go to the border to try to change to visitor status? Hope you get your PR soon, that's very disruptive. And totally unreasonable to assume you're just going to just start working illegally to avoid going home, it's not like Ireland is a warzone
Yes, I did. I talked to someone at CIC and they said that was the best option. Apparently not though!! Lol.

I'm hopeful it will be soon. I applied May 1, so hopefully any day now!

mathewredfearn

May 10, 2015
I think going to a border to change over to a visiter visa is a no go! My friend did the same and had problems. If you send the form off to change while in Canada and just explain you've been here for two years and in my case been working full time since you've got here, now that your work visa has expired you would like the opponutiny to travel the country and see Canada you should be fine

Conor9900

Jun 20, 2013
What form mathewredfearn? If you've applied for PR I think it would be a bad idea to pretend you only want to stay to travel, a misrepresentation can affect your PR application if they find out