+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IEC and prescription medication on OHIP - Anyone done this?

jackorysugar

Jan 2, 2019
Hi,

I am moving to Ontario later this year for 2 years and I currently take prescription medication. I will have comprehensive travel insurance to cover any emergency bills, but what do people do about having access to their prescription medications while they're not on OHIP?

If you on a work permit then do you have to work for 6 months before being eligible to apply? Or does the 3 month waiting period begin once you land?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

I am moving to Ontario later this year for 2 years and I currently take prescription medication. I will have comprehensive travel insurance to cover any emergency bills, but what do people do about having access to their prescription medications while they're not on OHIP?

If you on a work permit then do you have to work for 6 months before being eligible to apply? Or does the 3 month waiting period begin once you land?
Rx medications are only covered for people 24 and under. 3 month waiting period starts when you land. You only qualify if you have a job that lasts at least 6 months.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Just to add that you can bring a maximum of 90 days medication with you and whilst do not expect you are planning to you should note that it is illegal to have any prescription medication sent to you by mail/courier from outside Canada.

Reactions: Tabanehanane