+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IEC Activation and Re entry

ahgareesh

Apr 15, 2016
Hey there, I've looked at a lot of different topics and sites to try and find an answer- so far nothing too concrete or satisfying so I am asking here!

I have a 23month working holiday IED work permit. My POE Letter of introduction says I need to enter Canada no later than June 29 2016.
That's no worries, I plan to go over in June to activate it before it expires. I don't actually want to start working in Canada until the winter (November) so I planned to come home after a week or so in June and head back for the winter and maybe beyond. Here's my question- is there any chance this will be an issue? Will I be allowed to re enter and my work permit still be valid until the 23 months are up?

What are the rules around coming and going in and out of Canada on an IEC work permit?

Hope someone can help me! Thanks in advance much appreciated :)

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
ahgareesh said:
Hey there, I've looked at a lot of different topics and sites to try and find an answer- so far nothing too concrete or satisfying so I am asking here!

I have a 23month working holiday IED work permit. My POE Letter of introduction says I need to enter Canada no later than June 29 2016.
That's no worries, I plan to go over in June to activate it before it expires. I don't actually want to start working in Canada until the winter (November) so I planned to come home after a week or so in June and head back for the winter and maybe beyond. Here's my question- is there any chance this will be an issue? Will I be allowed to re enter and my work permit still be valid until the 23 months are up?

What are the rules around coming and going in and out of Canada on an IEC work permit?

Hope someone can help me! Thanks in advance much appreciated ]:)well no problem with your plan but you will need to land with proof of funds , 2500 CAD , and more importantly be prepared to show travel insurance coverage for the full 23 months. Without the latter your work permit may not be issued for the full term. There are no restrictions on the IEC work permit travellng in and out of Canada although being a non- resident the CBSA officer will still likely assess you at each reentry as they would any other non- resident, IEC is not a guarantee to reenter but should be seen as a positive and shouldnt be any issues. Also read conditions of any travel insurance to make sure home trips are allowed.

ozlis

Oct 20, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yep, you will have no problems doing this.

Something to note though, your 23 months start in June, you won't get credited for any time spent out of the country.

ahgareesh

Apr 15, 2016
ozlis said:
Yep, you will have no problems doing this.

Something to note though, your 23 months start in June, you won't get credited for any time spent out of the country.
Amazing! Thank you so much- not too worried about losing those few months there, I'll still get to spend a winter in Canada :)
Should I tell the customs/border officer what I am doing? Or would that be a bad idea?
I'm just wondering if I need to have a job when I arrive in June even though I am only there for a week...
Thanks in advance!

ozlis

Oct 20, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nope, no job needed.

Border officers wont be too worried about you activating and leaving.

ahgareesh

Apr 15, 2016
ozlis said:
Nope, no job needed.

Border officers wont be too worried about you activating and leaving.
Thank you so SO much! You have been SO helpful. Here's my final question (I hope!!!)
I went to Canada in January of this year for a 2 week holiday. I did not present my POE Letter of Introduction or mention the working holiday permit- nor did the border officer.
In my passport I have a stamp that just says CANADA BORDER SERVICES AGENCY- the same stamp that both my father and brother received- both of whom do not have Canadian Working Permits.
Is it safe to assume that my working permit has NOT been activated at this time? Is it safe to assume that the border officer would have mentioned or discussed the permit with me had it been activated?
As far as I'm aware, I need to show them proof of travel insurance and funds among other things.

So, is it safe to assume that my working permit is not yet active?

Thanks SO much again and thank you in advance for your answer- you have been beyond helpful! :)

ozlis

Oct 20, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The IEC permit is an extra page that they staple into your passport - you would know if it has been issued for sure.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Just present your passport and POE letter to the CBSA officer when you land in June and make sure the officer gives you the full 23 months as it has been known given different countries have different validities for some people to get 12 in error and is a pain to sort out once out of airport. Plus of course be prepared with proof funds and 2 year travel insurance which you may not get asked for but have them anyway.

*DJ

Feb 8, 2019
May I know the validity indicated on your Point of Entry (POE) Letter of Introduction ? Expiry date to enter Canada is within 6mos? Or 12 months?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
May I know the validity indicated on your Point of Entry (POE) Letter of Introduction ? Expiry date to enter Canada is within 6mos? Or 12 months?
For the IEC program a POE letter is generally 12 months from issue date but until received no guarantees. Plus as per your other post this , IEC, has nothing to do with the live in care program, different programs can have different validity dates.