kadian

Sep 13, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fatehelps said:
My scores are L/R/W/S - 5.5/6.5/6.5/6.5
Test - IDP, Chennai, India
Date - 30 Apr 2016

I am quite convinced with Writing & Speaking marks. But Listening i didn't expect 5.5 (which is relatively about 22 right out of 40 questions).

Reading I expected 8 bands but scored only 6.5 which is a huge disappointment.

Is there anyone who feels they have been marked low compared to their expectation?
Listening & Reading are tricky.

In Listening for example, use of prepositions matter a lot in the answer. Example: an, the, on, at , in etc.
In reading True/False/NG, can be tricky, and one needs to practice.

Just get some extra practice material, do around 30 listening test and 30 Reading tests. If you are able to score above 35 consistently, only then you have a chance to do good in the exam.

smfcoder

Feb 19, 2016
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18.May.2016
Nomination.....
16.Nov.2016 ITA
AOR Received.
14.Jan.2017
Med's Done....
31.Jan.2017
Passport Req..
7.Apr.2017
VISA ISSUED...
4.May.2017
akira1025 said:
Hi, can you still recall the topic of writing task2 ? I am managing to request a remark for that . thanks!
The question in task 2 was:

The Internet has made it easy to access music and newspapers for free. Is this a positive or negative development?

Of course, the wording is approximate.

fatehelps

Star Member
Apr 19, 2015
kadian said:

In Listening for example, use of prepositions matter a lot in the answer. Example: an, the, on, at , in etc.

Just get some extra practice material, do around 30 listening test and 30 Reading tests. If you are able to score above 35 consistently, only then you have a chance to do good in the exam.
I actually wanted to find out if IDP has the key for the question paper delivered to us at the exam to decide if I should go for reval.
It is quite rubbish that they don't have it. In fact, I feel it is just a way to earn more thro' reval. Going for a reval is in my opinion, an emotional decision.

kadian

Sep 13, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fatehelps said:
I actually wanted to find out if IDP has the key for the question paper delivered to us at the exam to decide if I should go for reval.
It is quite rubbish that they don't have it. In fact, I feel it is just a way to earn more thro' reval. Going for a reval is in my opinion, an emotional decision.
If one has practised a lot for writing section, like writing task 1 or 2 every day in the last one month to the exam and also got some of them evaluated from an IELTS examiner (there are many IELTS tutors available online), then after such rigorous practice and good performance in the exam, you should go for evaluation.

If you have not been able to breach the 7 band in writing in your earlier attempts then consider there is some fault which you have not been able to recognise. So consult an IELTS tutor(examiner) who can help you in writing section.

Remember until you are not absolutely sure about your writing skills and exam performance, it is not wise to shell out aroung 9 thousand bucks which can actually be used to retake complete test once again. Retake always has a higher probability to improve your scores in all sections, provided you did your preparation.

Chiragappa

Jan 14, 2016
Ahmedabad, India
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Same here..... 6.5 in writing rest above CLB 9 dont know wat to do.... IDP sucks

fatehelps

Star Member
Apr 19, 2015
Can you help me with any practice test book for Listening along with audio files? guruprasadvs@gmail.com

kadian said:

Chiragappa

Jan 14, 2016
Ahmedabad, India
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Retest??? U mean to say you want to give the test again? U will have to give all the four modules again then. You cannot give just one or two of them. If u want to get your marking checked again then u can decide and select only those for which you are not happy with the scores. They will check it again for you at a cost that is alsmost same as giving a test. Here im India they charge INR 8250 to get a re-check done. They give u the money back in-case your score changes.

kadian

Sep 13, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fatehelps said:
Can you help me with any practice test book for Listening along with audio files? guruprasadvs@gmail.com
Hi,
I bought some practice test materials from Amazon website, namely Barron & Mc.Grawhill publisher books.

I also downloaded a 27 gb file from torrent containing IELTS comprehensive material. Actually I was also looking for some free listening material online. However, it turned out to be chinese IELTS study material, that too quite old, about 2006 material. So I just deleted the stuff, cos even the pattern for IELTS at that time was different.

So all in all, I could not find any relevant listening material online. Therefore, I resorted to purchasing the IELTS books from Amazon website. It fine to spend few bucks buying practice material, cos practising more lets you get acquainted with your mistakes and allows you to judge your level of performance.

ngenhit

May 30, 2016
In the same boat as you guys. Did all of you give the exam under IDP . I got writing at 6 ???on May 3rd week's attempt. Rest of them CLB9!.

I think i wrote a lot more than the required information. Funny thing is I've got 5.5/6 for AWA of GMAT TWICE!. and here it is a 6 out of 9. Awestruck!

Anyone who has got >7 in IDP is present over here? From India.

kadian

Sep 13, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ngenhit said:
In the same boat as you guys. Did all of you give the exam under IDP . I got writing at 6 ???on May 3rd week's attempt. Rest of them CLB9!.

I think i wrote a lot more than the required information. Funny thing is I've got 5.5/6 for AWA of GMAT TWICE!. and here it is a 6 out of 9. Awestruck!

Anyone who has got >7 in IDP is present over here? From India.
YES THE ISSUE SEEMS TO BE WITH IDP.

panpantian

Jul 8, 2016
smfcoder said:
I scored an 8.5 in writing. I can suggest a couple of things:

1) Use ielts-simon.com to prepare. I am sure that his tips helped me score at least a band higher than I would have otherwise scored. Go through the General Writing and the Writing Task 2 categories and watch his free videos.

2) Once you are sure that you have absorbed everything that he has to say, send your practice essays for evaluation. I used the service provided by Simon's colleague at http s://theieltscorrectioncentre.wordpress.com/essay-marking-service/, but you could use another one (like the one at ieltsadvantage.com). Make sure that you are consistently rated higher than the score you're aiming for.

All the best!
Hi smfcoder, you did quite well in writing,congratulations!I also like Simon's writing resources,it is really useful. however, even I have made considerable efforts ,I still got the low score in the writing part, If possible, could you also share your evaluated essays (word.doc) copies with me?
My email is 903743569@qq.com ,Thank you very much!

Amitanvi1585

Feb 3, 2016
Adityacharlie said:
Hi Kadian,

Thanks for your suggestions. Even though their policy is against us I need to give it a shot.
I would in the mean time also prepare as I need to have certain amount of time(1 month for sure) to assess my writing.
I also need to take care not to screw up Reading,Listening and Speaking as well.

If I have to take the test on British council you know the slot is not available in India for the next 2 months.
I am not sure how IDP hyderabad is rating the writing task and if any senior examiner of EOR tells me the same that I am
not good at writing then I would confirm that it's my fault.
Hi Aditya,

Just wanted to check, did you applied for re-evaluation. I have similar scores: Listening 8.5, Reading 8.5, Speaking 7.5, writing 6.5. This is the 2nd time i gave my ielts. I have applied for re-evaluation as I think that I wrote better this time and was according to the parameters set. 2 people got higher marks after re-evaluation.

Amitanvi1585

Feb 3, 2016
I think its a very common issue with IDP, I got 6.5 in writing for the 2nd time rest all CLB 10. I think they do it intentionally as they know that people with retake IELTS, since it is the most important part for immigration both to Canada and Australia and IDP belongs to Australia. People suggest to go for british council since they donot have any direct link. IDP offers more dates for General category, since they know people will keep on reapplying if they don't get 7 bands.

British council dates are not easily available.