+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ICT work permit and Study Permit

viggy294

Nov 7, 2020
Hi All,

I have a Master's admit from a Canadian University for Sept 2021 intake, I am yet to apply for a study permit. I have been working as a software engineer in India for 3 years for a company which has an office in Vancouver and recently I got to know that there's a decent possibility that I could get internal transfer to the Vancouver office of the company, although I will only get to know the company's decision in about 2 months. I prefer going for work over studying if that's a choice, as I think it will make things much easier when compared to the study route. So I have these questions, would be very grateful for your help on as many of them:
1. What's the processing time for Intra-Company Transfer (ICT) work permit applications from India? There's conflicting info in the internet where some pages claim it to be 2 weeks and others claim it as 2-8 weeks for countries not visa-exempt.
2. Do you think I should apply for study permit now rather than wait for the company's decision and then Intra-Company Transfer application decision? I heard Canadian govt is strict about ICT eligibility, so not sure if waiting so long without applying for study permit is a good idea esp in these times when processing times are very high.
3. Can study permit and ICT work permit applications be active at the same time? Will that be considered conflicting? Or dual intent is allowed?

Thank you very much in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi All,

I have a Master's admit from a Canadian University for Sept 2021 intake, I am yet to apply for a study permit. I have been working as a software engineer in India for 3 years for a company which has an office in Vancouver and recently I got to know that there's a decent possibility that I could get internal transfer to the Vancouver office of the company, although I will only get to know the company's decision in about 2 months. I prefer going for work over studying if that's a choice, as I think it will make things much easier when compared to the study route. So I have these questions, would be very grateful for your help on as many of them:
1. What's the processing time for Intra-Company Transfer (ICT) work permit applications from India? There's conflicting info in the internet where some pages claim it to be 2 weeks and others claim it as 2-8 weeks for countries not visa-exempt.
2. Do you think I should apply for study permit now rather than wait for the company's decision and then Intra-Company Transfer application decision? I heard Canadian govt is strict about ICT eligibility, so not sure if waiting so long without applying for study permit is a good idea esp in these times when processing times are very high.
3. Can study permit and ICT work permit applications be active at the same time? Will that be considered conflicting? Or dual intent is allowed?

Thank you very much in advance.
1. It's hard to say how long processing will take. We have seen some people get approved in just a few weeks. But others are waiting many months.
2. It's really your choice. Yes, the government is quite strict about ICT eligibility. Your company will need to prove that you have specialized knowledge.
3. You can apply for both.

Reactions: viggy294

viggy294

Nov 7, 2020
1. It's hard to say how long processing will take. We have seen some people get approved in just a few weeks. But others are waiting many months.
2. It's really your choice. Yes, the government is quite strict about ICT eligibility. Your company will need to prove that you have specialized knowledge.
3. You can apply for both.
Hi @scylla,
Thank you very much for your reply.
From what's given here and here, it seems like ICT is eligible for 2 weeks processing. Guess there are more factors though.
Are you sure that I can apply for both without one affecting the other in a negative way? If you could elaborate on that a little bit with examples/links it'd be very very helpful. If I can apply for both then that'd be simply wizard, I do not have to wait until a decision on one is done in these times when all processing times are simply too high. Just want to make sure that I do not end up getting neither of them at any cost.
Thanks again!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi @scylla,
Thank you very much for your reply.
From what's given here and here, it seems like ICT is eligible for 2 weeks processing. Guess there are more factors though.
Are you sure that I can apply for both without one affecting the other in a negative way? If you could elaborate on that a little bit with examples/links it'd be very very helpful. If I can apply for both then that'd be simply wizard, I do not have to wait until a decision on one is done in these times when all processing times are simply too high. Just want to make sure that I do not end up getting neither of them at any cost.
Thanks again!
I know ICT is eligible for two weeks processing. What I'm telling you is the actual processing times people are experiencing right now. As said before, many people are waiting many months due to COVID (all applicants are taking longer right now due to COVID). Don't count on yours being processed in two weeks. Most ICT applicants are waiting longer at this time.

There are no links on the IRCC web site that specifically state you can have an ICT and study permit in progress at the same time. However they are two separate applications so you can submit both if you wish. Or if you don't feel comfortable with that, then submit the ICT first and wait for the results.

There's always some possibility both could be refused whether you apply separately or at the same time. For the ICT visa to be approved, your employer must prove you have specialized knowledge - this can be quite difficult to do. For the study permit, you'll want to spend time reviewing posts in the International Students section of the forum to understand common refusal reasons and how you can put together a strong application.

Reactions: viggy294

viggy294

Nov 7, 2020
Hi @scylla,
Thanks again for your reply. It's really helpful to know that both can be applied to without being considered conflicting.
Thanks a lot for all the information, got some clarity for now.

Rohit2918

Apr 28, 2021
Hi,

I have an active express entry application but no luck so far with the crs draw.

Now, my company has offered an opportunity to work in Toronto on ICT work permit. I have submitted the application and awaiting for biometrics to be completed.

my doubt is that do I need to withdraw my express entry profile to avoid any conflict?

Also I have worked in Canada for a few months in 2018 on ICT WP which was expired last year.

regards
Rohit

viggy294

Nov 7, 2020
Hi,

I have an active express entry application but no luck so far with the crs draw.

Now, my company has offered an opportunity to work in Toronto on ICT work permit. I have submitted the application and awaiting for biometrics to be completed.

my doubt is that do I need to withdraw my express entry profile to avoid any conflict?

Also I have worked in Canada for a few months in 2018 on ICT WP which was expired last year.

regards
Rohit
Not an expert but I guess this is a classic example of dual intent which is allowed. As far as I know you need to convince in your temp permit appl that you will not stay illegally once your temp permit expires. Besides, if you withdraw your EE, then they'll likely still know you had a profile there. Instead it may be better to declare that you have a profile there and convince in your temp appl that you will follow everything your temp permit needs you to including leaving the country once it expires. Searching 'dual intent' will give you a lots of results.