+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ICT Work permit and Spouse open work permit

rishi_chd

Dec 19, 2020
Hi Everyone,

My company (MNC) is applying a 2 year ICT work permit for me and open work permit for my wife (working in same company as mine). I had few doubts and will appreciate if you can help me with these below:

1. Is there a possibility of ICT being approved and spousal open WP being refused?
  2. Can my spouse enter Canada without a job offer? (We are planning to search for job only after she gets open spousal work permit)
  3. Assuming we both are allowed entry, can my spouse stay as long as my ICT is valid even without job?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
1. Yes. Processing for the permits will be long if company hasn’t even started the process.
2. If you are travelling together and she has approved permit then she doesn’t need authorization. Confused because If she is working in same company as you (as you state), wouldn’t she need a closed work permit as she has a job.
3. Yes.

rishi_chd

Dec 19, 2020
@Naturgrl Thanks for your reply.

Sorry! I will try to explain our case better:

We both work for same company in India, but with different clients. My company and client offered me to come on ICT WP and work in Canada.

Now, i have option to either bring my spouse on visitor record or on open spousal WP. We both decided to go with Open WP for her. As my wife does not have job offer (from current or others) in Canada, she will apply sabbatical/leave for around 1 year and come along me. And after our arrival we will look for a job for her in Canada and then put resignation.

I was just confused that if she can travel without actual offer?

And reg. 1st point, my company is yet to start the process. Hope they will send both the visas together.

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

We both work for same company in India, but with different clients. My company and client offered me to come on ICT WP and work in Canada.

Now, i have option to either bring my spouse on visitor record or on open spousal WP. We both decided to go with Open WP for her. As my wife does not have job offer (from current or others) in Canada, she will apply sabbatical/leave for around 1 year and come along me. And after our arrival we will look for a job for her in Canada and then put resignation.

And reg. 1st point, my company is yet to start the process. Hope they will send both the visas together.
She can travel with you without an offer.

NOC98

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2020
Category........
Other

That’s the purpose of an spousal open work permit. To be able go to Canada and find work after landing.

amr1tv1rd1

Oct 12, 2020
Thanks for replying to this thread guys, we are going through same situation. I have open work permit approval and husband has work permit with job offer. We are traveling together, I was spektical about my entry into canada.

Feb 10, 2021
Hello Everyone,

I'm in a similar situation. But i did not apply for visa with my wife's application.
When can i start applying for open work permit
1. After her visa approval
OR
2. After she travels to Canada

Rohit2918

Apr 28, 2021
Hi All,

I am in process of submitting my ICT work permit application. I want to apply visa for my wife alongwith my application.

Can any one please suggest if I should apply OWP now or TRV? I would like my wife to travel along with me, if possible. I am not sure if applying OWP now would require higher processing time or if there are more chances of rejection.

My wife is not currently working but she has some work experience. She would like to work in Canada for time we will be there.

I am also confused if immigration is allowing dependent travel considering current COVID situation.

Regards
Rohit

rishi_chd

Dec 19, 2020
For us, our application (mine ICT and her's OWP) was accepted together. So there was no gap b/w approvals.
Without any worry go for OWP for your spouse.

rishi_chd

Dec 19, 2020
any approvals who have applied ICT WP on nov/dec 2020
I applied for ICT and OWP (spouse) in Feb'21, we got request for passport submission in April.
But unfortunately 2 way courier stands suspended due to COVID situation in India.

Rohit2918

Apr 28, 2021
I applied for ICT and OWP (spouse) in Feb'21, we got request for passport submission in April.
But unfortunately 2 way courier stands suspended due to COVID situation in India.
Thank you for the details. I have submitted the application today. Let see how it will go.

Regards
Rohit

Rohit2918

Apr 28, 2021
Hi,

I have an active express entry application but no luck so far with the crs draw.

Now, my company has offered an opportunity to work in Toronto on ICT work permit. I have submitted the application and awaiting for biometrics to be completed.

my doubt is that do I need to withdraw my express entry profile to avoid any conflict?

Also I have worked in Canada for a few months in 2018 on ICT WP which was expired last year.

regards
Rohit