+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ICT // Proving access to proprietary knowledge

nash.8876

Nov 29, 2020
Hi,

I'm preparing my application for a Temporary Foreign Worker (TFW) application on behalf of my company, which is very small. I will be transferred through the LMIA-exempt intra-company transfer route through the Global Talent Stream program. The main things I have to prove are:

Specialized knowledge/expertise - I am UX/Content Strategist for 2 years.
Proprietary knowledge - I have access to proprietary information within the company, which is company-specific expertise related to a company’s product or services. I do have proprietary knowledge.
Advanced proprietary knowledge - I have access to uncommon knowledge of the host firm’s products or services.

I keep going back and forth with my immigration lawyer on the reasons to give at the immigration interview. Unfortunately, they tell me to be more specific and concrete.

Question: Can someone who got a TFW through ICT give me good examples of displaying "specialized knowledge/expertise" and "proprietary knowledge" that they used to clear the interview?

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
I'm preparing my application for a Temporary Foreign Worker (TFW) application on behalf of my company, which is very small. I will be transferred through the LMIA-exempt intra-company transfer route through the Global Talent Stream program. The main things I have to prove are:
I was transferred to Canada on an ICT WP. I am a software engineer, so my stuff was rather engineering oriented. That said, my employer is a household name type of company, known worldwide.

Specialized knowledge/expertise - I am UX/Content Strategist for 2 years.
Proprietary knowledge - I have access to proprietary information within the company, which is company-specific expertise related to a company’s product or services. I do have proprietary knowledge.
Advanced proprietary knowledge - I have access to uncommon knowledge of the host firm’s products or services.
Okay, first thing first, theoretically, these visas are called as "LMIA-exempt (Canadian interest)" visa. Basically what it means is that it is in interest of Canada to bring you here and let you work. Hence the above mentioned qualifiers. You need to convince the VO that you have the above mentioned attributes and bringing you in will be beneficial for Canada. Beneficial for Canada usually comes from skill-transfer, unlocking business, establishing new teams or more job opportunities in Canda. This later part is usually handled by lawyers and they write a narrative around your profile arguing why you make sense. That said, they cann't do it unless you first prove the above attributes. Sorry for too much "Knowledge Dump". I hope it helps you to understand what I am about to write with a reference / example of my own ICT wp in the same category.

1. I will recommend you to look at the meaning of Specialized knowledge/expertise. These are obtained rather by specialized training, advanced degrees, years of experience in that field, having specialized experience.

For me it was my bachelors and masters degree, again from household name state-funded national universities in India followed by a number of years of experience in 2-3 major household name ICT companies in specific discipline and technologies.

For you, it could be your degree, may be at graduate level and specialized in UX / Content Strategy. May be you hold some specific patents for a UX design. May be you have published research in Human Computer interface. May be your past two years resulted in some products that were notable in some way. May your past UX work was very very specific, for instance UX for a medical app will be a very specialized experience and will require someone who has experience in that field, hence you are specialized. Or for instance, you could have experience in designing UX for a product being developed in Canada with a significant market OUTSIDE Canada and it requires someone with very specific cultural knowledge. It can be satisfied in a number of ways.

2. Proprietary Knowledge. My employer has many many proprietary software components and tools which are never available outside of organization. Does your employer have some processes which are uncommon and not a part of general knowledge? Those may not be industry knowlege. For instance, strategy/idioms to design UX for a specific line of devices of a specific company or you were the person who knows the right design idioms for a critical web portal because you orginally designed it and now you are needed to extend that further. This line of argument worked for me. I originally did a particular work and later I extended it after coming to Canada. That work was specific to a particular technology specific to my employer.

3. Advanced Proprietary Knowledge. In your employer's business how many folks have that knowledge that is proprietary and know to you? If very few, how come you have it and not other? In my case, there were two points. One technology was known among a very small group of folks based out of USA (5-6) and I worked with them closely on that same thing. So I had that advanced proprietary knowledge. In another case, since I made that particular piece of work and it was needed to be extended in Canada with folks there need to be trained in it, I again had "advanced proprietary knowledge". Plus it helped that I had about 2 years of work experience in my company. VO will throw your application if you are applying after 2 months in the company, unless you have a really really good reason.

I keep going back and forth with my immigration lawyer on the reasons to give at the immigration interview. Unfortunately, they tell me to be more specific and concrete.
I am not aware if there are interviews for ICT WP.

PS: You need to learn what it means by these attributes then you can qualify for them. My experience is just one instance where it worked. The breadth and depth of my experience is in no way an ideal or a model or even an indicative example. Its just one guy who got the visa/permit based on his profile. That it! That said, anyone will need to satisfy those general attributes.

Last edited: