+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ICT - moving from US to Canada (permanently) - Inputs needed

VISHAN78

Nov 18, 2016
I am moving to Canada on ICT from US to Canada. My H1 hence would cease to exist; I have an old car (Accord) and planning to upgrade to CRV; Any pros and cons for the below options:

1. sell the old car here in US before I move and buy a new one in Canada (or)
>> No Canadian credit history/ drivers history; But have a good US credit and driver history
>> Would only be having US drivers licence

2. sell the old car here and also buy a new one in US before moving to Canada
>> May have to register in US first and may have to register again in Canada
>> I believe US insurance may hold good in Canada.. but not sure though

3. Take the old car to Canada; Sell the old car and buy a new one in Canada
>> Should I register my old car in Canada to sell (as the old car would be having US title)

Any help!!

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
1. more than likely you won't be able to buy a car in canada with a us license. you will first need to transfer your license to a canadian one, which is easy to do with a US license. also, don't expect your us credit to do you any favors in Canada. your US credit rating does not follow you or help you get credit in canada.

2. in order to register a car in canada from the US, you first have to export/import it. There is an entire process to doing this. I would recommend researching on the Settlement Issues board on this forum about this topic and reading the information on the RIV website (the canadian agency responsible for car imports). It's not very expensive to do, however there are a lot of steps involved.

3. you won't be able to sell a US car in canada unless it is exported/imported first or at least disclosing the fact that it has not been properly imported. the car will have problems being registered/insured in canada without going through the import process. see #2.

Your options are 1) sell the car in the us, then purchase a new one in canada - once you have a canadian license or 2) import the car to Canada so you can register it to use yourself or sell it.

VISHAN78

Nov 18, 2016
Thanks for your inputs! I am selling my car in US and planning to purchase one in Canada...... was hoping to get away with US credit history though! :(

basically start everything from scratch!! ???

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
VISHAN78 said:
basically start everything from scratch!! ???
yep. that is correct. your credit starts from 0.