+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ibm canada

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nope, worked for them somewhere else, so far as i remember they will only give a really generic confirmation letter : "XXXXX worked at IBM from 01/01/1900 - 31/12/1900."

The managers weren't allowed give other letters than that either.

dukhi

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2013
purplesnow said:
nope, worked for them somewhere else, so far as i remember they will only give a really generic confirmation letter : "XXXXX worked at IBM from 01/01/1900 - 31/12/1900."

The managers weren't allowed give other letters than that either.
Were you able to get the letter?

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
no but i worked there when i was a student so im not using it for my points so i don't need to.
I'm just saying IBM don't do reference letters beyond a basic confirmation of when you worked there, if the one where I worked is the company standard you won't be able to get one from them confirming duties, noc codes, salary, benefits etc.

dukhi

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2013
So illogical from there side...i dont know whats the problem in providing a general letter mentioning my duties in general...pissed off now

visaowl

Star Member
Mar 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dukhi said:
So illogical from there side...i dont know whats the problem in providing a general letter mentioning my duties in general...pissed off now
Because HR. If they provide the letter now, they are opening themselves up for a lawsuit. This is why only offer letter contains your duties. All big companies pull this kind of stuff.

dukhi

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2013
What kind of lawsuit? Mentioning that i am developing testing frameworks..surely wont put them into much trouble

visaowl

Star Member
Mar 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dukhi said:
What kind of lawsuit? Mentioning that i am developing testing frameworks..surely wont put them into much trouble
HR thinks a bit forward. If you get a document saying what your roles were, and the document is validated by a manager, then tomorrow you can prove through your co-workers testimonies that the work you did was actually not related. (Because actual work is very hard to quantify in fixed roles). Well the company just got into a class action lawsuit for themselves. These letters are very tightly controlled and CIC knows that. Big companies are bit prudish concerning these matters.

dukhi

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2013
visaowl said:
HR thinks a bit forward. If you get a document saying what your roles were, and the document is validated by a manager, then tomorrow you can prove through your co-workers testimonies that the work you did was actually not related. (Because actual work is very hard to quantify in fixed roles). Well the company just got into a class action lawsuit for themselves. These letters are very tightly controlled and CIC knows that. Big companies are bit prudish concerning these matters.
I guess if cic knows about it they should atleast give us an alternative path right

heeru_maan

May 31, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
ADVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dukhi said:
I guess if cic knows about it they should atleast give us an alternative path right
I don't see how you don't have an alternative.
You can prove your duties by submitting a copy of your offer letter/job description at the time of signing etc.
Agreed that it would be easier if the reference letter had the list of duties included, but you do have the other option!