+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I was deported from a US POE. Will I be able to get a PR?

Xavierl92

Dec 17, 2017
Hi,

So i am from one of the unfortunate 3rd world terrorist countries looking for a better future for myself and my family. I have traveled to the US twice before. However recently, i was deported from a point of entry on my tourist visit. They basically went through my phone and found a few racy memes as well as pictures of me using drugs. There were quotes from alleged terrorists that an idiot from school sent on some religious nut group through whatsapp that ended up in my phone. They questioned me on it and i told them the truth; that these pictures were from the whatsapp group I had no idea i was even a part of. They asked me if using drugs is a crime in my country and I said yes. In the interview taken on the POE, i just told them everything very honestly upfront. I was sent back on the next flight home. Yes i screwed up, but honestly I didn't realize the US had gotten so strict even for leisure travelers.

This incident changed my view for the future. I feel now that this occurred, any go-to country (Canada, Australia etc) i apply to for a study visa for my masters will reject me because of what transpired. I understand that the US shares immigration information with member countries and that when they run my name, the interview transcript will turn up where the officer alleges me using drugs and references to selling them once or twice.

Now my option is to immigrate to Canada under Express Entry program. With my current credentials I have a score of 431 which I will try to boost. All I want to know is the chances of my PR application being rejected based on this incident.

Please give me honest answers, no false hopes. If possible, do mention any past instances of members in similar situations.

Thank you so much

Note 1: I have no criminal history is my home country or the US. Just this interview transcript at the point of entry.

Note 2: The official reason for denying entry to me was sec 212 9 a i 1: you do not have a bonafide visa to enter the US. I can also reapply for a US visa after 5 years (though i have no intention of doing that)

Note 3: I am single and have a sister who is a PR of canada.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Well, honestly, I think it will be difficult, but not impossible if you are entirely honest on your application. I wouldn’t put any hope in a TRV, student visa or work permit, but for immigration purposes, I think your chances may be better than you suspect. You’ll need to bring your points up, as you’ve pointed out and as much as possible.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

So i am from one of the unfortunate 3rd world terrorist countries looking for a better future for myself and my family. I have traveled to the US twice before. However recently, i was deported from a point of entry on my tourist visit. They basically went through my phone and found a few racy memes as well as pictures of me using drugs. There were quotes from alleged terrorists that an idiot from school sent on some religious nut group through whatsapp that ended up in my phone. They questioned me on it and i told them the truth; that these pictures were from the whatsapp group I had no idea i was even a part of. They asked me if using drugs is a crime in my country and I said yes. In the interview taken on the POE, i just told them everything very honestly upfront. I was sent back on the next flight home. Yes i screwed up, but honestly I didn't realize the US had gotten so strict even for leisure travelers.

This incident changed my view for the future. I feel now that this occurred, any go-to country (Canada, Australia etc) i apply to for a study visa for my masters will reject me because of what transpired. I understand that the US shares immigration information with member countries and that when they run my name, the interview transcript will turn up where the officer alleges me using drugs and references to selling them once or twice.

Now my option is to immigrate to Canada under Express Entry program. With my current credentials I have a score of 431 which I will try to boost. All I want to know is the chances of my PR application being rejected based on this incident.

Please give me honest answers, no false hopes. If possible, do mention any past instances of members in similar situations.

Thank you so much

Note 1: I have no criminal history is my home country or the US. Just this interview transcript at the point of entry.

Note 2: The official reason for denying entry to me was sec 212 9 a i 1: you do not have a bonafide visa to enter the US. I can also reapply for a US visa after 5 years (though i have no intention of doing that)

Note 3: I am single and have a sister who is a PR of canada.
This will not effect a PR app.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Only comment I will make for anyone is that if you travel to any country make sure you clear your phone, IPad , laptop etc of absolutely anything that could put your entry to a country in doubt. CBSA for example have the same authority to look at any of these devices , even emails/social media I believe in some circumstances and make the same determination to refuse entry.

As for the US getting stricter they have always had this authority whether a visitor or anyone else. Granted since Trump came into power the US seem to have become more paranoid about who comes in, even have seen reported locking people of any age for hours before refusing entry for what might be considered some pretty innocent stuff on their phones / social media in home country.

Xavierl92

Dec 17, 2017
This will not effect a PR app.
Thank you for the reply! Why do you say that?

Well, honestly, I think it will be difficult, but not impossible if you are entirely honest on your application. I wouldn’t put any hope in a TRV, student visa or work permit, but for immigration purposes, I think your chances may be better than you suspect. You’ll need to bring your points up, as you’ve pointed out and as much as possible.
Aren't points a minimum cut-off threshold after which my application will be reviewed? Or do higher points mean my application has a better chance of being accepted. Also, how would I explain my case to them? In person or via a letter?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for the reply! Why do you say that?

Aren't points a minimum cut-off threshold after which my application will be reviewed? Or do higher points mean my application has a better chance of being accepted. Also, how would I explain my case to them? In person or via a letter?
For PR, refused visas and deportations will not impact the application as long as you declare them in your application (and as long as there is no criminal issue).

To be selected through the Express Entry program, you must have 440+ points right now. The selection threshold has not dropped below 440 all year - so 431 is too low to be selected through the Express Entry program. You need to either increase your points or look at other immigration programs.

Xavierl92

Dec 17, 2017
Okay last question; with my declaration of the deportation and letter explaining the circumstances (perceived security threat/terrorist quote/drugs), what are the chances that the immigration people would consider me an actual threat and deny me PR because of it?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Okay last question; with my declaration of the deportation and letter explaining the circumstances (perceived security threat/terrorist quote/drugs), what are the chances that the immigration people would consider me an actual threat and deny me PR because of it?
There's no criminality issue - so it won't be a problem. I would simply say you were denied entry into the US without going into too many details.

Xavierl92

Dec 17, 2017
Thank you all so much for your help! I will be applying next year once I get enough points. I really hope this doesn't become an issue as it was a complete misunderstanding.

Xavierl92

Dec 17, 2017
Hey guys,

I am bumping this topic up to get more feedback from VIP members especially keeping in light the corona situation. I will be entering the pool in a month so need as much feedback as possible. Also, really sorry for bumping it again.

Last edited:

Xavierl92

Dec 17, 2017
Guys please help. A little bit of reassurance from a senior member would go a long way to encourage a distraught third worlder.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey guys,

I am bumping this topic up to get more feedback from VIP members especially keeping in light the corona situation. I will be entering the pool in a month so need as much feedback as possible. Also, really sorry for bumping it again.
It's not clear what your question is.

As long as you have the required points (470+) and declare all past deportations / removals / refused visas, you shouldn't have any issues.

These questions were previously answered.

Xavierl92

Dec 17, 2017
I wanted to know if the Corona situation has changed the express entry process so as to adding more scrutiny. I would also love to hear from any members who have had a history like mine (deportation or expedited removal from the US) and managed to make it through.