+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I was arrested and charged for a misdemeanor in the US (Possession of Marijuana under 6 grams); Would I be rejected from getting a study permit?

aryaa

Mar 22, 2020
So I was a dumb-dumb and got myself into trouble at 18, I actually want to apply for a law program in Canada. I was charged with the misdemeanor but the case was dismissed as I entered a pre-trial diversion program. From what I've read I'm not criminally inadmissible because possession under 30 grams is legal in Canada, but it would definitely hurt my chances, right? I'm really scared and honestly would be devastated if my visa's rejected. I'm also not a US citizen. The charge is haunting me and of course, I know I shouldn't have broken the law but I can't change what happened. How likely is it that my application would get rejected, and what can I do to help it?

IvanaCo

Star Member
Aug 10, 2019
Dubai
NOC Code......
could you please post here if your application was approved as i have a friend in same situation who is not sure if there is a point applying at all because of the same reason. but he was released and deported, no charge, but he was arrested and detained, police clearance clean

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Highly unlikely it would matter. They look at what the equivalent charge would be here in Canada, weed is legal here.

aryaa

Mar 22, 2020
could you please post here if your application was approved as i have a friend in same situation who is not sure if there is a point applying at all because of the same reason. but he was released and deported, no charge, but he was arrested and detained, police clearance clean
hey my PCC was clean as well but I still declared it on my study permit application and explained my situation. Today, I received the request for my original passport, my application was approved. Idk if it matters to your friend anymore but I hope they were able to get an approval as well!