+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I want to terminate my job.

Chnrltlk

Aug 5, 2018
Hello,

I was waiting for my positive LMIA for almost 15 months. Finally, it has been approved and I got my temporary work permit for 1 year.
I moved to BC and started my job, its been a week and I want to terminate my job bec of the safety and the health issues of my workplace. What happens if I terminate my job? Do I have to leave the country? Can I change the employer? What is the process? Anyone can help me?
Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,

I was waiting for my positive LMIA for almost 15 months. Finally, it has been approved and I got my temporary work permit for 1 year.
I moved to BC and started my job, its been a week and I want to terminate my job bec of the safety and the health issues of my workplace. What happens if I terminate my job? Do I have to leave the country? Can I change the employer? What is the process? Anyone can help me?
Thanks
You can remain in Canada as long as the work permit is valid but you cannot work for another employer unless you get another work permit, which means another LMIA.

foodie69

VIP Member
Dec 18, 2015
Hello,

Thanks
Your employer went through all the trouble and cost for you and a week later you want to quit? Wow! What kind of health and safety concerns do you have?

Reactions: Chnrltlk

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
You’d start from square one
Just because you quit , doesn’t change your closed worked permit to an open one .
Your ROE would indicate you’ve quit a job
You would not be eligible for EI, since after a week you would not have worked enough hours to qualify, and even if you did, then quit , your EI claim would have had to been adjudicated for benefits
If it was heath & safety related did you at least report it too the Ministry of Labour? If you feel there’s serious issues regarding safety in a workplace, and obviously you do, since you want to leave that work environment,then you can assist future workers by documenting your concerns with the appropriate ministry responsible in the province you’re in
As well if ESDC ever called you ,since they approved the LMIA, you can tell them you’ve reported your concerns to the provincial authorities
https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/foreign-workers/protected-rights.html
Look at this link, safety in the workplace
I’d be doing my homework before you throw in the proverbial towel

Last edited:
Reactions: Chnrltlk

Chnrltlk

Aug 5, 2018
Your employer went through all the trouble and cost for you and a week later you want to quit? Wow! What kind of health and safety concerns do you have?
I work in a restaurant. And most of the food prep area is dirty, refrigerators are rusty and leaking. And many more issues concern me.

foodie69

VIP Member
Dec 18, 2015
I checked on the inspection website. And it says 2 critical infractions.
It means nothing. The inspector will give them time to fix it, they will be re inspected and when all is fine, they can operate as per usual. Nothing to quit you job over.