Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-11-2013
AOR Received.
20-11-2013
I wasn't sure which forum to put this in but this one seemed the most appropriate....Here's the thing - I'm an American with a Canadian boyfriend and we have been together for almost two years now and I want to move to Canada. I'm thinking I will have a hard time trying to get a visa because I don't have a high school diploma and my work experience is limited to almost none. I've spent the better part of my life as a nanny for family and for eight months a few years back, I assisted a podiatrist but then I had to move :( I'm good at doing art and graphics on the computer and I'm a good typer. My vast experience as a nanny could land me a job there but I honestly don't want to do that anymore. I'm going to be getting my G.E.D. so is it possible to go to college in Canada after? Any advice or suggestions?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you marry your boyfriend, he can sponsor you for permanent residency. If you do that, your education doesn't matter at all.

umairz

Aug 26, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-07-2011
AOR Received.
19-10-2011
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
19-10-2011
Med's Done....
27-10-2011
Passport Req..
02-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
21-12-2011
LANDED..........
07-01-2012
Yeah, marriage seems like the easiest way to get by, otherwise you will be paying tond of money for your education and than depending on the situation you will have to decide which immigration streamline is good for you.

You can find that info at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp

But as Leon suggested, the easiest way is to get married. Otherwise you will need to study a little more and then get an acceptance letter for the course you want in Canada and also pay tons of money. And for that you will have to go to all the Canadian colleges and universities websites individually and look for info and the courses that might iterest you.

I would highly recommed you to read this page http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-apply-who.asp
Scroll almost to the middle or 2/3 of the page and read the section COMMON LAW PARTNERS and see if you are eligible for that criteria but since you mentioned you are in States and your bf live in Canada, I highly doubt you meet those requirements but probably you can work on it.

Good Luck! :)

missboon

Star Member
Jan 13, 2012
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-11-2013
AOR Received.
20-11-2013
Does my boyfriend (future hubby) need to have specific financial requirements to sponsor me? Or do they just want to know how much he makes and whatnot?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
missboon said:
Does my boyfriend (future hubby) need to have specific financial requirements to sponsor me? Or do they just want to know how much he makes and whatnot?
Yes, he can't be on welfare.

missboon

Star Member
Jan 13, 2012
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-11-2013
AOR Received.
20-11-2013
He's not but I read the minimum requirement is something like 26,000 a year but that there are exceptions to this requirement? Is this true?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
missboon said:
He's not but I read the minimum requirement is something like 26,000 a year but that there are exceptions to this requirement? Is this true?
Spousal or common law sponsorship has no such requirement. I suggest you read the guide carefully.