+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I want to move back to Canada with my American Spouse...

xCami

Star Member
Nov 2, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-12-2016
Hey everyone!

I'm new to the forums and I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

To make a long story short I'm a Canadian citizen and current US green card holder, which I got through marriage. Right now I live in Florida with my husband who is an American citizen. I would like to move back to Canada and sponser him as a PR but I don't know where to begin or what is the best route to go about doing it.

A little about us:

We had gone through the US immigration process. I first applied for a fiance visa Feb 2013. September 2013 I was approved and moved from Vancouver, BC to Florida. October 2013 we got married and filled for permanent residency. July 2014 I received my green card and August 2014 I found employment and began working. My green card (good for 2 years) is coming up for renewal July 2016 and after than it will be good for 10 years.

After some thought we have both decided that we would like to move to Canada. For many reasons. I am very happy with my marriage but lately I have been depressed and I really miss home and I can't see myself raising a family here. I would have a lot better job opportunities back home and we would be closer to my family. My grandmother was also recently diagnosed with cancer and I would like to be closer to her.

My question is how to I go about doing this? We both work full time jobs, if possible I would like to file for my husbands Permanent residency while we continue to work and live here and save up money. Once approved we would take our savings, pack our bags and move in with my family until we find a place of our own and employment. I'm not sure what the cost of filing is or how long it takes. Can anyone point me in the right direction to some links that explain the process and where to begin?

Any help would be appreciated and thank you for taking the time to read my post!

-Cami

fruitball4u

Star Member
Dec 6, 2014
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-05-2015
Doc's Request.
23-11-2015
AOR Received.
23-06-2015
File Transfer...
31-07-2015
Med's Done....
20-04-2015
Interview........
DM: 21-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR: 17-12-2015
LANDED..........
03-01-2016
You can apply with this application:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp (Application to Sponsor a Member of Family Class)

Make sure that application is for "Outland", as you'll be applying through the States office. Outland is best anyway for US applicants - approval times are being seen anywhere from 6-8 months (for the most part), and as an Outland applicant, you have the ability to appeal should your application be denied (which is something you can't do when applying Inland - but you wouldn't want to apply Inland anyway because you'd both have to be living in Canada in order to do that). You can continue living and working in the States as long as you show your intent to move to Canada upon his PR approval.

The applications are very straightforward, and provided that you're semi-decent at organizing, you shouldn't have many issues filling them out yourself. Most of us will recommend that as opposed to hiring a lawyer - they're very expensive and you still have to do the majority of the work yourself anyway so you may as well save yourselves the money!

If you have any other questions let me know! I moved from the States to here and also did Outland sponsorship (although I was already in Canada) so I can help if you need anything :)

KelseyTVS

Jun 18, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Don't worry, the US to Canada process is one of the easier ones. This is the full application, just fill out the forms for all three parts, follow all the instructions and provide all the documents:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

Basically, you'll do the application and send it to Mississauga. They'll assess you as a sponsor, approve you, and send the application to Ottawa. In Ottawa they'll look at your husband's part of the application and hopefully approve that and send him confirmation of permanent residence, then he can land as a PR in Canada. The whole application processing time should be about 8-10 months, absolute maximum of 17 months (unlikely).

As long as you provide lots of proof of your relationship, you shouldn't be called for an interview or doubted. As a Canadian Citizen, it's fine for you to be living in the US while sponsoring.

Reactions: Nazduende

xCami

Star Member
Nov 2, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-12-2016
I know it a little late but thanks for the reply! It seems that the process is pretty straight forward, especially since we are already married. The fiance visa and then green card process for the USA was a headache!

Do you know what the average cost is for filing all the paperwork is? Along with the medical exam required?

Gemmie

Nov 10, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-05-2015
AOR Received.
30-06-2015/SA 17-08-2015
File Transfer...
20-08-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
23-02-2015
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
21-01-2016
1040.00 Canadian for the applications.
That is your portion, his portion, and the right of residence fee .

The health exam will vary from doctor to doctors. Ours was 150 *ish*
FBI report also takes about 3 to 4 months , and that has a cost associated.. but I cant recall. It was not very much in the grand scheme of things.

If I had to take a wild guess, the total cost including paper , ink, fees, ets, and courier costs.. I'd say it was less then 1500 CAD

Hope that helps a bit.

Nazduende

Jan 19, 2018
You can apply with this application:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp (Application to Sponsor a Member of Family Class)

Make sure that application is for "Outland", as you'll be applying through the States office. Outland is best anyway for US applicants - approval times are being seen anywhere from 6-8 months (for the most part), and as an Outland applicant, you have the ability to appeal should your application be denied (which is something you can't do when applying Inland - but you wouldn't want to apply Inland anyway because you'd both have to be living in Canada in order to do that). You can continue living and working in the States as long as you show your intent to move to Canada upon his PR approval.

The applications are very straightforward, and provided that you're semi-decent at organizing, you shouldn't have many issues filling them out yourself. Most of us will recommend that as opposed to hiring a lawyer - they're very expensive and you still have to do the majority of the work yourself anyway so you may as well save yourselves the money!

If you have any other questions let me know! I moved from the States to here and also did Outland sponsorship (although I was already in Canada) so I can help if you need anything :)
Hey, I’m in a very similar situation... I’m Canadian living in the states with my American husband and just so confused with all of this. We want to live in Canada, just don’t know how and what to do. If you have like a personal email or even Instagram so I can ask questions, that would help. I’m stressing out and worried about this whole thing

Nazduende

Jan 19, 2018
Hey everyone!

I'm new to the forums and I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

To make a long story short I'm a Canadian citizen and current US green card holder, which I got through marriage. Right now I live in Florida with my husband who is an American citizen. I would like to move back to Canada and sponser him as a PR but I don't know where to begin or what is the best route to go about doing it.

A little about us:

We had gone through the US immigration process. I first applied for a fiance visa Feb 2013. September 2013 I was approved and moved from Vancouver, BC to Florida. October 2013 we got married and filled for permanent residency. July 2014 I received my green card and August 2014 I found employment and began working. My green card (good for 2 years) is coming up for renewal July 2016 and after than it will be good for 10 years.

After some thought we have both decided that we would like to move to Canada. For many reasons. I am very happy with my marriage but lately I have been depressed and I really miss home and I can't see myself raising a family here. I would have a lot better job opportunities back home and we would be closer to my family. My grandmother was also recently diagnosed with cancer and I would like to be closer to her.

My question is how to I go about doing this? We both work full time jobs, if possible I would like to file for my husbands Permanent residency while we continue to work and live here and save up money. Once approved we would take our savings, pack our bags and move in with my family until we find a place of our own and employment. I'm not sure what the cost of filing is or how long it takes. Can anyone point me in the right direction to some links that explain the process and where to begin?

Any help would be appreciated and thank you for taking the time to read my post!

-Cami
Hi, just wondering are you living in Canada now with your husband ?? If so, what did you do... I’m in the exact same situation as you, I’m a Canadian living in the states with my husband and have a green card. We want to live in ontario, Canada because I’m home sick away from my family and want to raise my future kids in Canada. Just worried about how to sponsor him, I’m kind of slow when it comes to this. I’m overly stressed out and not sure where to begin or how this whole thing works... please if you can help me with how you did it, that’d be great! If you have an email or instagram I can contact you with regarding this, that’d be amazing! Please let me know :(

noonnabi

Star Member
Jan 3, 2018
Hey, I’m in a very similar situation... I’m Canadian living in the states with my American husband and just so confused with all of this. We want to live in Canada, just don’t know how and what to do. If you have like a personal email or even Instagram so I can ask questions, that would help. I’m stressing out and worried about this whole thing
What about the process do you find confusing and/or what specific questions do you have? I'm American and my Canadian partner and I have been living in the states for the past few years. We applied outland, and most all of the forms/procedures were very straightforward - they just required ample preparation, attention to detail, etc. We got PPR within 4.5 months.

Nazduende

Jan 19, 2018
What about the process do you find confusing and/or what specific questions do you have? I'm American and my Canadian partner and I have been living in the states for the past few years. We applied outland, and most all of the forms/procedures were very straightforward - they just required ample preparation, attention to detail, etc. We got PPR within 4.5 months.
I’m just confused on where do I get all the forms and send it to?? Do I need a lawyer or can I do this myself? I’m already legally married to my husband in the United States, do I apply for PPR still? Also... I’m currently being sponsored by my husband to obtain a green card/permanent residence so I can stay in the states a bit longer if needed. I’m just waiting on immigration USCIS for a meeting. But, while I wait for that for me... can I sponsor my husband to live in Canada? Or will that be illegal..

shirleyfeng1985

Star Member
Apr 9, 2017
I’m just confused on where do I get all the forms and send it to?? Do I need a lawyer or can I do this myself? I’m already legally married to my husband in the United States, do I apply for PPR still? Also... I’m currently being sponsored by my husband to obtain a green card/permanent residence so I can stay in the states a bit longer if needed. I’m just waiting on immigration USCIS for a meeting. But, while I wait for that for me... can I sponsor my husband to live in Canada? Or will that be illegal..
We have similar situation. I have submitted my application in late May.
1. You can get all information including forms for application package on cic website.
2. You can definitely do this yourself.
3. Once your application get approved, you will receive Passport Request (PPR) from CIC
4. I don't think your current status in U.S. matters to your sponsor eligibility as long as you are a Canadian citizen.
Besides forms, you need to provide supporting document according to checklist from CIC. Documents include some proofs that you and your spouse will move to Canada after his application gets approved. It can be emails between family/friends who know your plan to move back to Canada; Bank statement from Canadian bank; Your detailed plan including housing, job hunting; Letter from current company to prove they know you will move to Canada. Sth like that.
Hope it helps a bit.

Nazduende

Jan 19, 2018
We have similar situation. I have submitted my application in late May.
1. You can get all information including forms for application package on cic website.
2. You can definitely do this yourself.
3. Once your application get approved, you will receive Passport Request (PPR) from CIC
4. I don't think your current status in U.S. matters to your sponsor eligibility as long as you are a Canadian citizen.
Besides forms, you need to provide supporting document according to checklist from CIC. Documents include some proofs that you and your spouse will move to Canada after his application gets approved. It can be emails between family/friends who know your plan to move back to Canada; Bank statement from Canadian bank; Your detailed plan including housing, job hunting; Letter from current company to prove they know you will move to Canada. Sth like that.
Hope it helps a bit.
Ok this makes sense! But what is passport request (PPR) from cic? Is that a separate form we fill out and mail over to cic? How does that work and what is it exactly?
Also, thanks so much for taking the time in guiding me, the information you did provide was helpful!

shirleyfeng1985

Star Member
Apr 9, 2017
Ok this makes sense! But what is passport request (PPR) from cic? Is that a separate form we fill out and mail over to cic? How does that work and what is it exactly?
Also, thanks so much for taking the time in guiding me, the information you did provide was helpful!
PPR is a step after decision made, which means your application gets approved and CIC will ask applicant to mail them passport for PR visa if your spouse is not from visa-exempt country, or provide a copy of passport bio page if your spouse’s citizenship doesn’t need visa to enter Canada.

Nazduende

Jan 19, 2018
PPR is a step after decision made, which means your application gets approved and CIC will ask applicant to mail them passport for PR visa if your spouse is not from visa-exempt country, or provide a copy of passport bio page if your spouse’s citizenship doesn’t need visa to enter Canada.
Ok, awesome ! I noted all of this down. I have a couple more questions if you don’t mind.

1) my husband is a citizen of America, does he need his finger prints scanned? If so? When does that happen? Does that happen when he enters Canada.

2) Also, will he be interviewed by immigration for his PR card and so on? If so, does that happen after he enters Canada?

3) lastly, when does my husband get his medical examination done? Does he get it here in America and we mail over the sealed medical package to Canada? Or after he enters Canada?

Sorry for all these questions. Your literally the only one explaining everything to my understanding. When I get overly worried, my brain blocks out.

shirleyfeng1985

Star Member
Apr 9, 2017
Ok, awesome ! I noted all of this down. I have a couple more questions if you don’t mind.

1) my husband is a citizen of America, does he need his finger prints scanned? If so? When does that happen? Does that happen when he enters Canada.

2) Also, will he be interviewed by immigration for his PR card and so on? If so, does that happen after he enters Canada?

3) lastly, when does my husband get his medical examination done? Does he get it here in America and we mail over the sealed medical package to Canada? Or after he enters Canada?

Sorry for all these questions. Your literally the only one explaining everything to my understanding. When I get overly worried, my brain blocks out.
Relax! It is definitely not that complicated as you thought.
1. In most cases, finger print scan is not required. If CIC requests, it would happen after you submit your application before CIC approves it. However, you need to provide police certificate in your application package. When you get it done in the states, finger print scan is required by FBI. I’m not too sure whether applicant will be asked to do the finger print scan when landing (at airport or border).
2. Some ppl get interviewed during their PR application. Commonly there are two types interviews: one is that CIC has questions/doubts about the genuineness of your marriage. The other one is called landing interview. Basically after interview, they will let you know whether your application is approved and ask you leave your passport. But interview is not that common.
3. After CIC reviews your application package and confirms it is complete, you will receive an email called acknowledgment of receipt (aor1). Then medical request will be sent to you soon. Your spouse need to find a panel physician listed on CIC website. Pick one close to you and get it done ASAP. The panel physician will submit results to CIC. You don’t need to do anything .

These are all based on my limited knowledge and experience. Hope I explained clearly.

mrs_december

Star Member
Jun 10, 2017
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
03-05-2018
AOR Received.
09-06-2018
File Transfer...
26-06-2018
Med's Request
18-06-2018
Med's Done....
06-07-2018
Passport Req..
22-08-2018
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-2018
LANDED..........
02-09-2018

1. No. Biometrics are not currently required for US citizens, although the CIC's requirements are always subject to change. He will, however, have to submit fingerprints for his police check to the FBI.
2. Interviews only occur when there is a suspicion that the relationship is not genuine. As long as you provide the proofs required in the checklist, then you should not be interviewed.
3. During the application process, you will receive a request for the medical exam, which is completed within 30 days of the request. It can be done in the US or Canada, but must be done by a panel physician. There is a list on the CIC website where you can find the one closest to you. The MD will submit all the correct paperwork on your behalf so you have no need to mail anything.