+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I want to get a OHIP card as a PR applicant and I am clueless on the types of documents they require..

jeffreyHeaven

Jul 14, 2016
So, as basic as it sounds, I did go to their website: https://www.ontario.ca/page/documents-needed-get-health-card

I thought this particular document state IRCC has confirmed you are eligible to apply for permanent residence in Canada is my ITA and went to Service Ontario with that.

They sent me back home saying this is not the one they want. I should have received some letter. Yes. "Some letter" is the only thing that lady told me even after asking her what kind of letter, what's the name of it and does she have any sample? Needless to say she was "Karen" type and wasn't entirely ready to help me to her full potential.

I seriously need a health card at the moment.

I received my ITA on August 20, 2020.

I am a full time Software Engineer for more than a year in Toronto, Canada.

I do have a work permit that expires in June 2021. (Will the closer expiry date be a problem?)

Also, from the same page one particular document they require is this:

with a note confirming all three of the following. You have:
  1. applied for permanent residence
  2. met the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence
  3. have not been denied
So for this one, I opened a word document and typed out:

From,
My Name
To whom it may concern,

I, My Name, have applied for Permanent Residency of Canada and waiting for my application to be processed. I received an “Invitation to Apply” stating that I am eligible to apply for Permanent Residency of Canada based on the information I provided to them. I met the all the eligibility requirement for Permanent Residency of Canada. And, I have not been denied.

Please process my health card as soon as possible.

Sincerely,
My Name

Did I interpret that correctly? Is this note fine?

Basically, I would appreciate if someone had a real life experience getting a health card as an In land PR Applicant who already received his/her ITA.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So, as basic as it sounds, I did go to their website: https://www.ontario.ca/page/documents-needed-get-health-card

I thought this particular document state IRCC has confirmed you are eligible to apply for permanent residence in Canada is my ITA and went to Service Ontario with that.

They sent me back home saying this is not the one they want. I should have received some letter. Yes. "Some letter" is the only thing that lady told me even after asking her what kind of letter, what's the name of it and does she have any sample? Needless to say she was "Karen" type and wasn't entirely ready to help me to her full potential.

I seriously need a health card at the moment.

I received my ITA on August 20, 2020.

I am a full time Software Engineer for more than a year in Toronto, Canada.

I do have a work permit that expires in June 2021. (Will the closer expiry date be a problem?)

Also, from the same page one particular document they require is this:

with a note confirming all three of the following. You have:
  1. applied for permanent residence
  2. met the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence
  3. have not been denied
So for this one, I opened a word document and typed out:

From,
My Name
To whom it may concern,

I, My Name, have applied for Permanent Residency of Canada and waiting for my application to be processed. I received an “Invitation to Apply” stating that I am eligible to apply for Permanent Residency of Canada based on the information I provided to them. I met the all the eligibility requirement for Permanent Residency of Canada. And, I have not been denied.

Please process my health card as soon as possible.

Sincerely,
My Name

Did I interpret that correctly? Is this note fine?

Basically, I would appreciate if someone had a real life experience getting a health card as an In land PR Applicant who already received his/her ITA.
Are you currently working in Ontario? When did you job staty? What WP do you have? Will your job last over 6 months? Are you trying to get OHIP during implied ststus?

jeffreyHeaven

Jul 14, 2016
Are you currently working in Ontario? When did you job staty? What WP do you have? Will your job last over 6 months? Are you trying to get OHIP during implied ststus?
Yes. I am currently working full time in Ontario. I started working from July 2019 and working for the same company at the moment as well.

What is implied status? I am on post graduate work permit. It's open work permit.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes. I am currently working full time in Ontario. I started working from July 2019 and working for the same company at the moment as well.

What is implied status? I am on post graduate work permit. It's open work permit.
You can apply for an OHIP card with a letter from your employer that you have been working for over 6 months. Your card will likely end when you PGWP ends. Others have had to fight for coverage if they have implied status.