+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I want to extend my wife's VISA, but they are asking for a upfront medical exam?

Mikey Jr.

Apr 23, 2023
So I married my Thai wife and she is with me in Canada right now going through the PR process. She came July 1st and her visitor Visa is expiring December 30th and want to extend her VISA while we wait for PR.

She already did her biometrics and medical exam.

I'm going through the extend visa process, and one question asked if she was seen by a panel physician. I said yes because she was seen by a panel physician if we finished her medical exam right?

But now it is asking to upload her upfront medical exam? I have no idea what this is. They say to upload form IMM 1017b.

Now we have to go back to the doctors office and do this again? I am 100% confused. I have no idea what they want me to upload.

Thanks guys.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My guess is that checking this box made them think she had an upfront done for THIS application.

Try unchecking it and see what happens.

Worst comes to worst, upload whatever you have from her medical exam.

Reactions: Mikey Jr.

Rosybeaner888

Star Member
Sep 20, 2019
So I married my Thai wife and she is with me in Canada right now going through the PR process. She came July 1st and her visitor Visa is expiring December 30th and want to extend her VISA while we wait for PR.

I'm going through the extend visa process, and one question asked if she was seen by a panel physician. I said yes because she was seen by a panel physician if we finished her medical exam right?

But now it is asking to upload her upfront medical exam? I have no idea what this is. They say to upload form IMM 1017b.

Now we have to go back to the doctors office and do this again? I am 100% confused. I have no idea what they want me to upload.

Thanks guys.
I was thinking that she had her medical and biometric when you processed her visitor visa. You can upload that cuz it's not yet expired till 1 year.

Mikey Jr.

Apr 23, 2023
My guess is that checking this box made them think she had an upfront done for THIS application.

Try unchecking it and see what happens.

Worst comes to worst, upload whatever you have from her medical exam.
I'm just afraid that this won't be what they require, and then I'll get an answer at the end of December that they rejected it and she'll have to leave Canada.
I'll guess I'll just have to hope and see? Or should I email IRCC first before I do it?

I was thinking that she had her medical and biometric when you processed her visitor visa. You can upload that cuz it's not yet expired till 1 year.
Her biometric was valid before coming to Canada, but PR required her to do it again which we did.

She never did any sort of medical exam for her VISA. We only did the medical exam when we got the medical request form in the mail requiring her to do it for her PR. So we did it.

Also, it says processing times for visa extension are 80 days????

So are we already too late?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I'm just afraid that this won't be what they require, and then I'll get an answer at the end of December that they rejected it and she'll have to leave Canada.
I'll guess I'll just have to hope and see? Or should I email IRCC first before I do it?

Her biometric was valid before coming to Canada, but PR required her to do it again which we did.

She never did any sort of medical exam for her VISA. We only did the medical exam when we got the medical request form in the mail requiring her to do it for her PR. So we did it.

Also, it says processing times for visa extension are 80 days????

So are we already too late?
-Deep breath. Calm down.
-I think you're overthinking.

-As far as I'm aware, medical exams usually not required for the extension. (They MAY be in some cases not related to your case). You've made yourself think it is by overthinking. Try unticking the box and seeing what happens.
-Applying for extension before the deadline means she will be in Canada 'in status.'

-Even if worst comes to worst, IRCC never takes any step that quickly. Quite possible passport request could come before any action of any kind taken on a trv extension refused (which are usually granted automatically for those with PR spousal apps in process).

Or should I email IRCC first before I do it?
You will not get an answer in any relevant timeframe. Try what was suggested above.

Mikey Jr.

Apr 23, 2023
-Deep breath. Calm down.
-I think you're overthinking.

-As far as I'm aware, medical exams usually not required for the extension. (They MAY be in some cases not related to your case). You've made yourself think it is by overthinking. Try unticking the box and seeing what happens.
-Applying for extension before the deadline means she will be in Canada 'in status.'

-Even if worst comes to worst, IRCC never takes any step that quickly. Quite possible passport request could come before any action of any kind taken on a trv extension refused (which are usually granted automatically for those with PR spousal apps in process).

You will not get an answer in any relevant timeframe. Try what was suggested above.
Ok thanks.
Yeah, I'm going through the questionnaire.

This comes up in the questionnaire.

"Find out if you're eligible to apply

Have you had a medical exam performed by an IRCC authorized panel physician (doctor) within the last 12 months? (required)"

So what do I say here? No?

Because when I click no, the next question is this.

"Find out if you're eligible to apply

A medical exam is needed before you submit your application for foreign nationals who:
  • want to stay in Canada for more than 6 months and have lived in one or more designated countries or territories for more than six months in the past year or;
  • intend to work in one of the following jobs:
    • health sciences worker
    • clinical laboratory worker
    • patient attendant in nursing or geriatric homes
    • medical student admitted to Canada to attend university
    • medical elective and physician on short term assignment
    • teacher of primary or secondary schools or other teachers of small children
    • domestics worker, someone who gives in-home care to children, the elderly and the disabled
    • day nursery worker"

And she comes from Thailand, which is one of their designated countries.

So what should I do? I have the medical form that the physician printed for her when she did her medical exam, but its not this IMM form. Its an e-medical form saying that she had completed it.

And I saw the implied status while she waits for the extension to be processed. Thats one thing off my chest at least lol.

Thanks for your help btw.

Last edited:

Badge1

Star Member
May 3, 2023

Thanks guys.

@Mikey Jr. , Just call or email that doctor who did your wife's medical for PR. Ask for a copy of the IME / eMedical completion form that they submitted to IRCC - it is in a pdf format. That's what you need then upload that or provide that to IRCC. That as easy as it goes and as simple as that.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
So what should I do? I have the medical form that the physician printed for her when she did her medical exam, but its not this IMM form. Its an e-medical form saying that she had completed it.
Now that you've read the instructions and confirmed it's required: seems pretty simple, include what you have. I'm sure IRCC has people who understand that the form saying she completed it means ... she completed it.