Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
You have to be pretty darn naïve to believe that all the refugees illegally crossing into Canada, (including those dissing behind their phones/identities on US side) that can afford to buy a passage to US, carrying nice expensive luggage are actually bona fide refugees.
I watched video on youtube about a guy who entered illegally from the US, spent 15 thousand dollars on legal fees, and still didn't get status so far... I REALLY can't think him as a true refugee o_O but at least he's pumped some money into our economy.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Let's be clear, hostility toward those seeking asylum in Canada is rooted in xenophobia or bigotry or racism (recognizing again, there is, for example, far less antipathy for the European migrant) or all three, with a thick layer of foul icing to top it off.

Whatever language one employs in discussing refugee issues, characterizing those who seek asylum and refugees with a broad brush slur is what it is: bigotry.

Perhaps there are a misguided few who fail to understand or otherwise conflate the use of derisive labels to denigrate a class of people, such as refugees and asylum seekers. It is apparent (assuming they are not being disingenuous), for example, that some hang on to the propriety of labeling people as "illegals" based on some purported technical breach of certain immigration regulations, even though it is overwhelmingly evident that employing this label is INTENDED to denigrate, to belittle, and NOT to deepen our understanding or elevate the conversation. It is NOT to add historical or sociological context to the discussion or debate. The use of the term "illegals" is INTENTIONALLY used to debase.

A fraud is a fraud is a fraud, doesn’t matter if it’s fake refugee or fake FSW or fake family reunion, they are the main reason the whole process is taking so long and so many resources are wasted verifying their information, while other applicants suffer from being honest
Precisely. A fraud is a fraud. Whether the fraud is committed in pursuing an application for status as a member of the family class, skilled worker class, or as protected persons. Those committing fraud are committing fraud. And not only should they be investigated and prosecuted, but for the most part they are being interdicted, investigated, and prosecuted.

That has absolutely nothing to do in particular with whether a person is a refugee or skilled worker, except, however, there are far fewer asylum seekers engaged in fraud than the number among the skilled worker and family class engaged in fraud.

The fact that some asylum seekers or those otherwise seeking refugee status may be involved in fraud DOES NOT warrant the use of slanderous labels to characterize the whole class. No more than the higher incidence of fraud among the family and skilled worker class warrant slandering all immigrants (recognizing, unfortunately, there are some who do; recognizing that while asylum seekers tend to be the target of more hostility, there is an undercurrent of antipathy toward immigrants in general among some Canadians, not nearly so much as among our neighbours to the south, but too much so nonetheless).

Again, however, there are far, far fewer asylum seekers engaged in fraud than the number among the family class and skilled worker. So any effort to particularly characterize asylum seekers or refugees with broad brush fraud accusations is clearly rooted, at the very least, in hostility toward the class of people seeking refuge in Canada. Persistent efforts of this sort are clearly rooted in xenophobia or bigotry or racism (recognizing again there is, for example, far less antipathy for the European migrant).

(It warrants noting that there is a widespread practice of padding work experience among the skilled worker (Express Entry) class, which tends to not be prosecuted as fraud. This often tends, depending on the extent to which the work history is misrepresented, to be treated as merely compromising the applicant's credibility. This is a bias (favourable to skilled worker applicants) which appears to be rooted in a willingness to look the other way a bit in order to avoid discouraging skilled worker immigration . . . despite the strong historical evidence, over the course of generations, that it is actually immigrants seeking refuge who tend to become more established in Canada and whose families become the more prolific contributors to the workforce and Canadian society; in contrast to the rather high percentage of the skilled worker class who come, make their money, and take it elsewhere, many back home, many to the U.S. There are rather few refugees, especially compared to the skilled worker class, who for example pursue citizenship for the purpose of obtaining a passport of convenience.)

I find it ridiculous to justify fake refugee claim with fake FSW and fake family sponsorship : just because they do it, it must be ok for us to do it too - do we really want to sink that low?
What? Who justifies fraud? Fraud not only should be interdicted, investigated, and prosecuted, it is being interdicted, investigated, and prosecuted.

As for equivalency: are you seriously suggesting that fraud among a few of those seeking refuge in Canada is more serious, more egregious, than fraud committed by FSW or family class applicants, and should not be treated the same? You just said "A fraud is a fraud is a fraud." IT IS EQUIVALENT. Fraud by any class of immigrant is equivalent: grounds to deny the application and prohibit future entry, and when egregious grounds for criminal prosecution. As it should be.

Or are you suggesting it is OK to characterize the class of people seeking refuge based on some involved in fraud? To disparage the many for the sins of the few? Why? Because they are refugees and refugees deserve to be treated with less dignity, fewer due process rights, than the FSW and family class applicants? That would be the very definition of bigoted discrimination.

Let's be clear, the use of the word "fake" here is overtly disingenuous IF it is intended to describe an asylum claim which is ultimately denied because it fails to meet Canada's requirements. Unless there are misrepresentations in the application, it is NOT fraud, it is NOT fake, even if it turns out the applicant fails to make a sufficient case for Canadian protected person status, and the application is ultimately denied. It is no more fake than a landed PR who has failed to meet the PR RO making an application for a PR Travel Document based on H&C reasons (or appeals a 44(1) Report based on H&C reasons). The applicant (in either case) honestly presents his or her reasons for why the application should be granted. It is up to the Canadian government (IRB and IRCC respectively) to assess whether the applicant qualifies for the requested relief. Neither is "fake," even if denied.

Yeah I think the term "illegal" can be applied here. I mean if someone is doing what the law says one can't do (entering a country without proper invitation/visa) then that's illegal is by definition. Now the seriousness of this can be up to debate: it's somewhere between jaywalking and murder.
Really. The mere failure to comply with a regulation warrants labeling people as "illegals?" How about having committed an actual offence then? Like speeding. Should we label 95 percent of the GTA commuters who drive as "illegals?" They not only have committed one offence, but almost all of them have repeatedly committed the offence of speeding. Perhaps every person who drives should be labeled a "criminal" unless and until they prove they never rolled through a stop sign or went five K over the speed limit, since virtually everyone who drives has done these things. And make no mistake, running a stop sign or speeding is an actual OFFENCE. A mere breach of regulations is NOT necessarily so (some are, most are NOT). Speeding is actually the more serious breach of the law.

Moreover, any breach of the regulations by an asylum seeker crossing the border is CURED upon reporting to authorities and any alleged illegality is CURED when the asylum seeker makes a claim for asylum. The asylum seeker is then LEGALLY allowed to remain in Canada pending the outcome of the process to adjudicate the claim. This is the typical, intended route, among the vast, vast majority of those crossing the border from the U.S. to find refuge in Canada.

In any event, again, EVEN IF there is some technical lack of compliance with the letter of the law, MAKE NO MISTAKE the use of the label "illegals" is INTENDED TO MALIGN these people as a class. Recognize this for what it is. BIGOTRY. Recognize this for what it is NOT: it is NOT used to deepen our understanding or elevate the conversation. It is NOT used to add historical or sociological context to the discussion or debate. It is used as a SLUR. And the use of terms to slur a class of people meets the very definition of bigotry.

It would be similarly offensive, for example, to label Americans "bigots." Sure, there are way too many who are. That does not make it OK to casually refer to Americans as bigots. To paraphrase one particular American, a buffoon of infamous breadth and orangeness, "some of them are good people."

Skip the derisive labels and focus on real issues and matters of substance.

Reactions: Ottawan

nick677

Star Member
Jun 1, 2018
Guys as much as I have sympathies for the refugees and asylum seekers I would request all to kindly focus on the matter for which this thread was started in the first place.

If we want to discuss about the refugees and asylum seekers ( which we definitely should as that affects Canada and us ) we should start a seperate thread for that.

I am in IP for 250 days plus now......can anyone beat that !! Lol !!

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Guys as much as I have sympathies for the refugees and asylum seekers I would request all to kindly focus on the matter for which this thread was started in the first place.

If we want to discuss about the refugees and asylum seekers ( which we definitely should as that affects Canada and us ) we should start a seperate thread for that.

Right behind you at 222! And more than 10 months since submission

nick677

Star Member
Jun 1, 2018
Right behind you at 222! And more than 10 months since submission
Same here....submitted my application in September 2017 and they started processing it in November 2017.

Which office are you stuck in ? My application is in Mississauga office.

A little less than 2 months to go before the 12 month timeline gets over so hoping for the best.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Same here....submitted my application in September 2017 and they started processing it in November 2017.

Which office are you stuck in ? My application is in Mississauga office.

A little less than 2 months to go before the 12 month timeline gets over so hoping for the best.
Same office-maybe both our files are in the same corner pile that’s too far for any agent to reach or to see

Reactions: nick677

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
Of course speeding is illegal and almost every driver does it. And you know why nobody calls speeding drivers "illegals" while those border crossers do get called that name sometimes? Because some people consider illegal border crossing more serious than speeding! You and many other people may not agree with this, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Really. The mere failure to comply with a regulation warrants labeling people as "illegals?" How about having committed an actual offence then? Like speeding. Should we label 95 percent of the GTA commuters who drive as "illegals?" They not only have committed one offence, but almost all of them have repeatedly committed the offence of speeding. Perhaps every person who drives should be labeled a "criminal" unless and until they prove they never rolled through a stop sign or went five K over the speed limit, since virtually everyone who drives has done these things. And make no mistake, running a stop sign or speeding is an actual OFFENCE. A mere breach of regulations is NOT necessarily so (some are, most are NOT). Speeding is actually the more serious breach of the law.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Of course speeding is illegal and almost every driver does it. And you know why nobody calls speeding drivers "illegals" while those border crossers do get called that name sometimes? Because some people consider illegal border crossing more serious than speeding! You and many other people may not agree with this, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.
It is evident it is NOT true that asylum seekers are labeled "illegals" because it is more serious than many commonly committed offences. The label "illegals" is used to denigrate a class of people. It largely derives from similar usage in the U.S. It is NOT at all related to any semblance of an honest or accurate description . . . no matter how much someone attempts to excuse their bigotry based on technical non-compliance with certain, selective regulations.

Use of the term "illegals" should be recognized for what it is: bigotry, plain and simple bigotry, the employment of terms to slur a whole class of people.

While opinions may vary (and to be clear, bigots tend to be rather insistent in their opinions, and the more in number they are the worse the offense) the law itself is clear. Traffic offences are OFFENCES. Mere non-compliance with regulations is NOT necessarily an offence, and actually rather few constitute more than an infraction, and for sure, those seeking asylum who cross the border contrary to the regulations ARE NOT CHARGED or legally ACCUSED of having committed so much as an infraction let alone an offence. The government of Canada, the LAW, considers those who have reported to authorities and made a claim for asylum to be LEGALLY in Canada, notwithstanding non-compliance with particular border crossing regulations (note: yeah, it is different in the U.S., which again THANKFULLY Canada is not). So sure, of course, BIGOTS are deeply entrenched in the opinion it is OK to label asylum seekers generally as "illegals." No surprise there. And no surprise that there is a common thread of RACISM among many of those harbouring such opinions.

Bottom-line: the label "illegals" does NOT illuminate anything warranting attention or consideration. Once those who may have been misled by its widespread use (especially coming from neighbours to our south) are made aware of this, further use of the term reveals them for who they are.

After all, ask yourself WHY refer to these people as "illegals?" If not to denigrate them as a class, then for what purpose?

For anyone who is so dense as to not realize this is a site for discussing CANADIAN perspectives, to be clear, I am a Canadian, and have been for nearly a decade now, and a citizen for more than four years. Unless specifically otherwise stated, my observations are a from Canada, in Canada, point of view.

You have wandered into the WRONG topic.

Since your post is about it being more than 180 days, clearly it would be more appropriate in the SEPARATE topic for those in the "'180+ Days of IP Club.'"

See topic titled: "I unfortunately join the '180+ Days of IP Club.'"
I have exactly 180 days today. It's super frustrating that nothing happens.
Or see the topic titled: "Endless wait for citizenship application update"
This is my 10th month after application and have heard nothing from CIC after the 3 rd update about the processing of my application starting from Nov 2
Or a slew of many other vent/whine-topics for the impatient:

Topic titled: "So today I unfortunately join the '100+ Days of IP Club.'"
Yes. You are a missing something and that is to have some patience.
[Many] of us are waiting including me. I have 150+ days from in process status.
Topic titled: "Oct & Nov 2017 Scarborough applicants with no test invite"
I am in IP since jan14 and still waiting.
When I call the call centre is always the same answer still in process time.
Topic titled: "Waiting for Oath Ceremony invite - Scarborough office for DM status applicants in April-2018"

Topic titled: "Ecas (In progress), since passing the citizenship test on March 13th 2018"

Topic titled: "Help please... 8 months in and no news about test!"

Among others and among numerous whining tangents in scores of other topics.

Yeah, confronting the expressions of racism, bigotry, and xenophobia is off topic. But, again, the original subject of this topic has long been way overdone, and there are many other topics where the venting (mostly unfounded whining) goes on unabated. See just a small sample referenced above.

In contrast, as events in that S*hole country to our south have all too amply illustrated, IT IS CRITICAL to confront
racism, bigotry, and xenophobia SOONER rather than later.
Especially when there is a deliberate effort to normalize bigoted slurs and undermine honest, sincere efforts to discuss real issues.

Given the plethora of other topics in which the subject is largely venting about how long the process is taking, despite the fact that the majority of those complaining are still way, way short of what should be expected, in contrast to the repeated use of terms here which are intended to demean a whole class of people, the latter demands confrontation for what it is. Bigotry should always be confronted for what it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ottawan

ChippyBoy

Dec 5, 2016
Happily, I'm joining the "150+ Club" today.

As a legal immigrant with PR, and as a taxpayer with a job, with a clean criminal record, and also owning my own home here in Canada, I'm totally happy with my citizenship application being delayed for many months, so that tens of thousands of irregular entrant border-crossers from a fellow Five Eyes country can have their open work permits and healthcare cards and welfare benefits processed within a matter of weeks. They're clearly Darwinianly superior to myself, so good luck to them all.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012

As a legal immigrant with PR, and as a taxpayer with a job, with a clean criminal record, and also owning my own home here in Canada, I'm totally happy with my citizenship application being delayed for many months, so that tens of thousands of irregular entrant border-crossers from a fellow Five Eyes country can have their open work permits and healthcare cards and welfare benefits processed within a matter of weeks. They're clearly Darwinianly superior to myself, so good luck to them all.
I am equally excited about seeing another 10-page-long reply of the same paragraphs in response to your post ... 1,2,3 go!

Reactions: ChippyBoy

ChippyBoy

Dec 5, 2016

It's quite likely that I may have spent a little too much time over here in western Canada. Out here, when something's BS, the adults on this side of the country have absolutely no hesitation whatsoever in calling it out as such, and even a little more colourfully than I've done.

Last edited:

LadyA

Star Member
Dec 21, 2017
Camus would undoubtedly be amused by the absurdity of law-abiding educated taxpayers being thwarted by greedy peasants with WhatsApp.
You forgot to mention: disease carriers as you said a few months ago.
Hopefully IRCC's not forgotten, in their haste, to prioritise their health screenings for tuberculosis, polio, measles, chickenpox, malaria, Ebola, parasites, etc.
Indeed, “Stupidity has a knack of getting its way."

Reactions: ChippyBoy