+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I unfortunately join the "150+ Days of IP Club."

ChippyBoy

Dec 5, 2016
By that if you meant the liberal will lose the election and the cons will take over - even if it happens , the citizenship rule won’t change any time soon , they would still have to start with a bill and go from there, and if it becomes law after a while, it would still take time to implement - and I have all the confidence that they will be really slow just like the Mississauga office lol
Nope. The Conservatives might be nasty towards immigrants, but they are far more experienced & adept at manoeuvring the levers of power in Ottawa than are the Liberals with their hands voluntarily tied behind their backs now in the Senate.

Anyhow, I oughtn't really to be posting on this thread, as I'm yet 8 days away from joining this 150+ Club, hehe.

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
By that if you meant the liberal will lose the election and the cons will take over - even if it happens , the citizenship rule won’t change any time soon , they would still have to start with a bill and go from there, and if it becomes law after a while, it would still take time to implement - and I have all the confidence that they will be really slow just like the Mississauga office lol
Not to mention that a mandamus court action isn't exactly a speedy process, from what I understand.

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
There are actually great government federal and provincial jobs that will only take citizens. That would be worth the expense if it's your target job.
That is *if* you are able to win the case in your favour. And thats a big *if*. Even if were to win the case, it will take years, if not months. I bet you'll get your citizenship long before the result of this case.

Your side of argument uses a statement on the CIC website. Even there, they say the 12 month is a *guideline* and applies to 80% of the cases. Counter-argument is: your case comes in the other 20%.

Reactions: vancouverbc2013

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
An increasingly likely change of federal government next year altering the citizenship regulations, yet again without any grandfathering-in, might be one reason to fear an ongoing & seemingly open-ended processing delay.
The rules will apply on the date of application. If grandfathering is not allowed, its a class-action lawsuit which wont stand in court in favour of Conservatives. But even in the first place, its highly unlikely that the Conservatives would throw the existing applicants out of the window. That would piss off a good portion of citizens and not necessarily make some other citizens excessively happy. That is a recipe for disaster.

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
Nope. The Conservatives might be nasty towards immigrants, but they are far more experienced & adept at manoeuvring the levers of power in Ottawa than are the Liberals with their hands voluntarily tied behind their backs now in the Senate.
We are talking a whole bunch of ifs here -

- if we dont receive our oaths by Nov 2019
- if Conservatives win
- if they are able to speed up the process and get the rules changed in a few months (say 6 months. remember Liberals took 2 yrs)
- if we still havent received oath in those 6 additional months (now, we are talking May 2020)
- if the Conservatives rule change states existing applications will be thrown out of the window as they dont match new rules

and even if all this happens, all we have to do is renew PR once and re-apply for citizenship under the new (stricter) rules. The only situation in which I can remotely imagine all the above ifs materializing is something like a WWIII like situation, which again is highly unlikely.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
We are talking a whole bunch of ifs here -

- if we dont receive our oaths by Nov 2019
- if Conservatives win
- if they are able to speed up the process and get the rules changed in a few months (say 6 months. remember Liberals took 2 yrs)
- if we still havent received oath in those 6 additional months (now, we are talking May 2020)
- if the Conservatives rule change states existing applications will be thrown out of the window as they dont match new rules

and even if all this happens, all we have to do is renew PR once and re-apply for citizenship under the new (stricter) rules. The only situation in which I can remotely imagine all the above ifs materializing is something like a WWIII like situation, which again is highly unlikely.
It doesn't matter who is in government by Nov 2019, they cannot throw out any applications in process. While the conservatives paused the PGP sponsorship, they didn't throw out the ones already in process. They did however cancel the immigrant investor program and for good reasons. They did return their application fees. When the conservatives changes the law to 4/6 rule, they still left those applied under 3/4 rule alone. Whatever government is in place and if they changed the citizenship law, they will still keep those who applied under 3/5 rule alone.

Ottawan

Nov 11, 2011
I think that's because that lawyer is interested to provide you the service...;)

That's an ASSumption on your part. I don't deal with such low life lawyers. I'm talking to someone who deals with many high profile cases that have made media headline past few years.

I simply provided an opinion, y'all welcome to do your own research/consultations.

I guess if you have the money, you can spend it how you want. I'm just curious, if you're willing to share... What it is about hurrying the process along that makes it worth paying potentially $1,000's to get something you will eventually get without spending the money?
As for my reasons for wanting it resolved before the deadline:
1. In simple terms, I want to get it over with. I feel like I'm entitled to after contributing to Canada's growth for the past 19 years. I pay my taxes, launched a company and currently employ 14 people.
2. My family and families of those who work for me are tied into this. Cannot deal with any uncertainty at this stage.
3. When I am speaking with potential clients around the world. I have to factor in "if" I need to apply for a visa to visit them and finalize a deal.
4. I feel like background checks are just a poor excuse for someone like me who has spent more than half of his life in Canada.
5. Whoever is responsible for these unnecessary delays needs to be held accountable and challenged.
6. All of the above and on top making a way for others down the road will be worth a few thousand dollars I spent on lawyer fees

Last edited:
Reactions: nick677

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
That's an ASSumption on your part. I don't deal with such low life lawyers. I'm talking to someone who deals with many high profile cases that have made media headline past few years.

I simply provided an opinion, y'all welcome to do your own research/consultations.

1. In simple terms, I want to get it over with. I feel like I'm entitled to after contributing to Canada's growth for the past 19 years. I pay my taxes, launched a company and currently employ 14 people.
2. My family and families of those who work for me are tied into this. Cannot deal with any uncertainty at this stage.
3. When I am speaking with potential clients around the world. I have to factor in "if" I need to apply for a visa to visit them and finalize a deal.
4. I feel like background checks are just a poor excuse for someone like me who has spent more than half of his life in Canada.
5. Whoever is responsible for these unnecessary delays needs to be held accountable and challenged.
6. All of the above and on top making a way for others down the road will be worth a few thousand dollars I spent on lawyer fees
I read your reasons and feelings. Acknowledged, and I do agree with the logic side of it. Most of us waiting have been contributing to Canadian economy. But for a legal case, your feelings do no matter, so lets keep them aside for a while. What I am curious about is what would be your legal argument for them to expedite your case. Are you also planning to file for a monetary compensation for delay?

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
It doesn't matter who is in government by Nov 2019, they cannot throw out any applications in process. While the conservatives paused the PGP sponsorship, they didn't throw out the ones already in process. They did however cancel the immigrant investor program and for good reasons. They did return their application fees. When the conservatives changes the law to 4/6 rule, they still left those applied under 3/4 rule alone. Whatever government is in place and if they changed the citizenship law, they will still keep those who applied under 3/5 rule alone.
Agreed, this paranoia is dumbfounded.

Ottawan

Nov 11, 2011
I read your reasons and feelings. Acknowledged, and I do agree with the logic side of it. Most of us waiting have been contributing to Canadian economy. But for a legal case, your feelings do no matter, so lets keep them aside for a while. What I am curious about is what would be your legal argument for them to expedite your case. Are you also planning to file for a monetary compensation for delay?
I wasn't sharing my feelings, it was in response to this sincere question:

I guess if you have the money, you can spend it how you want. I'm just curious, if you're willing to share... What it is about hurrying the process along that makes it worth paying potentially $1,000's to get something you will eventually get without spending the money?
It's not my job to make a legal argument. A top-notch lawyer will never take your case if they don't see a substantial case. He has reassured me that based on the delays I experienced on my PR and now citizenship I definitely have a case after 12 months have passed. He referred me to two others in my circle who were in a similar situation to me. In their case, a legal letter was enough for IRCC to resolve it within a month.

I also found this detailed account here: https://secure.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1191&title=delayed-background-check-csis-mandamus

Note: I want to clarify that I'm not looking to validate my approach on this forum. I simply shared details based on my consultation with a leading lawyer for others benefit. Please do your own consultation and research. If my application does go over 12 months period, I will be taking this route and will share the results with y'all.

nick677

Star Member
Jun 1, 2018
Hi All,

Glad to see the discussions on this thread.

By the way I did recieve a response to my query that I sent to IRCC online through the Web Form route and have been informed that my application in at the Mississauga office.

I must admit that when I saw the mail for a second I thought that I had recieved my citizenship test invite and was super excited but it was a response to my mail. At least they responses within 10 business days as committed which I appreciate.

I know it doesn't help much but at least some response is better than no response.Before recieving this from them mail I didn't even know if they had lost my application or something.

Obviously this was accompanied by the fact that they mentioned that my application is still within the "12 month processing time period" as they recieved my application in September 2017 which means that the 12 months get counted from the date they recieve our application and NOT from when they start processing.

This means that within 2 months I will get to know that whether or not I fall in the 80 per cent category of people who get their applications processed within the 12 month period or the 20 per cent category of people who's application takes more than 12 months to process.

However as an optimist I feel that all of us will get the good news soon.

Keeping fingers crossed !!

Reactions: ChippyBoy

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
Hey, it's your money so if you wanna throw it around it's your choice. People wait years before going for mandamus, so good luck trying to do it after 12 months. That was just my opinion, if you don't agree with it, you can state your reason without being offensive!

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013

Are you saying that those who have not paid any taxes or didn't start a company/business are not entitled to citizenship?
Your sense of entitlement is showing loud and clear. Didn't a MP once said "I am entitled to my entitlements".
So please keep your sense of entitlement to yourself. It does not reflect well on you.

Good luck with IRCC. The 12 month website is strictly a guide based on 80% of the completed application. Not a rule set in stone they must abide to.

With Trudeau's mess with the illegal fake refugees, draining IRCC resources, I wouldn't be surprised if the time line grew to 18 - 24 months. What would be your argument be then if it went up before your " 12 months" are up

Last edited:

nick677

Star Member
Jun 1, 2018
Guys please relax.......

We all are just trying to help each other out through advice and support.

This is already a frustrating and annoying time for all of us with all these delays so let's try to be there for each other.

We might agree / disagree to some other person's point of view. They are entitled to theirs just like you are to yours.

Let's not be offensive to anyone.

Chill !!