+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I need your advice!

Love Canada

Aug 28, 2012
Hi all, I've been sharing and contributing on this forum for a couple of weeks now. Now I would to get your opinions on my current situation...

To explain this in a simple quick way, I'm a Canadian Citizen living outside of Canada in Vietnam sponsoring my Vietnamese wife. We've been married and living together with two kids (4 years old boy, 2 years old girl) for the past 9 years in Vietnam. (WE HAVE A VERY STRONG SOLID CASE)

We're in the fourth month of our application, so far I've been approved as the sponsor on August 13/2012, and is now waiting for my wife's application to be approve. Our Visa office is Singapore, and as most of you already knows that currently the Singapore office have a long wait list.

OPTION 1 - Recently I have a job offer, and is considering of moving back to Canada first with my wife and kids staying behind waiting for her application to be approve. Would this cause any problem? Do I really need to be in Vietnam?

OPTION 2 - Or have my wife request for a visitor visa and go back together with me, and ask the Singapore office to transfer our file to the Buffalo Visa office, where they do all cases of applicants living in Canada that have a spousal sponsorship application in progress. I understand that if we choose this option, my wife might not even be approved in the first place for a visitor visa and even if she did, she wouldn't be eligible to work or have Canadian Health care when she is in Canada.

Anyone who have more information, insight or feedback on my situation is welcome to comment. Once again Thank You everyone for sharing.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Love Canada said:
Hi all, I've been sharing and contributing on this forum for a couple of weeks now. Now I would to get your opinions on my current situation...

To explain this in a simple quick way, I'm a Canadian Citizen living outside of Canada in Vietnam sponsoring my Vietnamese wife. We've been married and living together with two kids (4 years old boy, 2 years old girl) for the past 9 years in Vietnam. (WE HAVE A VERY STRONG SOLID CASE)

We're in the fourth month of our application, so far I've been approved as the sponsor on August 13/2012, and is now waiting for my wife's application to be approve. Our Visa office is Singapore, and as most of you already knows that currently the Singapore office have a long wait list.

OPTION 1 - Recently I have a job offer, and is considering of moving back to Canada first with my wife and kids staying behind waiting for her application to be approve. Would this cause any problem? Do I really need to be in Vietnam?

OPTION 2 - Or have my wife request for a visitor visa and go back together with me, and ask the Singapore office to transfer our file to the Buffalo Visa office, where they do all cases of applicants living in Canada that have a spousal sponsorship application in progress. I understand that if we choose this option, my wife might not even be approved in the first place for a visitor visa and even if she did, she wouldn't be eligible to work or have Canadian Health care when she is in Canada.

Anyone who have more information, insight or feedback on my situation is welcome to comment. Once again Thank You everyone for sharing.
Hey!

I can only give you my opinion, for what it's worth... and the knowledge I have.

Option 1 : you don't need to be in Vietnam for administrative reasons. You can move back to Canada. When Singapore assesses your file, if you have a solid case, you will be approved. So no worries. If they have doubt, they will ask for more information, and you can explain that you chose to move back to prepare a place for your family. With 2 children, and a marriage of 9 years, there is no way they are going to think that it's a MoC, so you're safe to go back.
Option 2 : you can ask for a visitor visa, but unfortunately you might be denied. Most people that are married to Canadians don't get a visa because CIC is afraid that your wife won't leave the country when her visa expires... so you would have to show strong ties to Vietnam to convince CIC that she will return.
I don't think that you can transfer to another VO. it's a different procedure all in all - inland procedure is only for people that already have s status in Canada. So if your wife gets a long term visa, then you can apply inland, but I'm pretty sure that you would have to do everything from scratch. Your wife would be able to work after the first stage ( which is 11 months for the moment), but to be able to do that, you would have to already have a status for your wife in Canada.
Buffalo visa office is closed, and applicants from the US normally going through Buffalo have been transferred to Ottawa instead - but they still do the outland process.

So - I'm not sure that the second option is really one, I don't think you can transfer from one type of application to the other one.
Good luck,
Sweden

Love Canada

Aug 28, 2012
Hi Sweden, you're spot on, Thank You so much for your detailed reply. I think you're right about the second option, it most likely isn't an option. I guess we only have option 1 left, but Thank You for reassuring my confident on our case. Once again Thank You for sharing.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Love Canada said:
Hi Sweden, you're spot on, Thank You so much for your detailed reply. I think you're right about the second option, it most likely isn't an option. I guess we only have option 1 left, but Thank You for reassuring my confident on our case. Once again Thank You for sharing.
Glad I can help ! the positive part about moving back to Canada before your family is that it will be easy to pass the first sponsorship part, which is mostly about establishing that you will move to Canada once granted the PR, and that you will not go on welfare once your family comes. So - with moving back before, and having a job and a place to stay and everything planned for when your family arrives, then the first part will be very quick - you'll probably be approved the day they open your application. Currently waiting time is 66 days, but it might go down a little by the time you apply, so in that sense you'll save time...

Of course it will be hard to wait that long and be away from your family, especially with Singapore as a VO, but there again - the long waiting time is an average for all cases, so probably it will be faster for you if you prepare well your application, gather all the proofs ( with 9 years of marriage, I suppose that would not be difficult), explain why you are in Canada - you'll probably get your visa faster than the time on the website.

Good luck for the preparation,
Sweden

Love Canada

Aug 28, 2012
Hi Sweden, I'm already approved for the sponsor part, I mentioned this in the first part of my post, all we're waiting now is my wife's application. Do you think I should report to the Singapore Visa office of option 1? Once again Thank You for your genuine support.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Love Canada said:
Hi Sweden, I'm already approved for the sponsor part, I mentioned this in the first part of my post, all we're waiting now is my wife's application. Do you think I should report to the Singapore Visa office of option 1? Once again Thank You for your genuine support.
Sorry - missed that information.

I think you can update your file through the website ( case specific enquiry) where you can change your mailing address and inform them of changes in your situation. that would be the best, so they have updated information. Although you have been approved already, the VO can always ask for more proofs about your intent to return to Canada if they are not convinced ( very unlikely if you have been approved, but you never know!). So in that case - it will make your case stronger.

You can update them on your situation, and explain how you will keep in touch with your family, where you plan to live, what kind of job you will have etc ( everything that makes you an "even more" stable sponsor) and start saving skype/chat etc in case later on they ask for more proofs of genuine relationship - better be prepared, even if in your case after 9 years of marriage and 2 kids, quite unlikely...

Good luck,
Sweden