+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I need some help with a dilemna

jmanup85

Apr 29, 2018
I am about to apply for permanent residency and my wife is sponsoring me. My visitor status is over and I got denied my extension and was denied a restoration of status because they said I could not fulfill their criteria and I'm from the US. I plan to go with my wife to NYC for a couple of weeks and then come back to reset my status. Should I take my residency receipt and paperwork to explain the situation if I need to? Or should I just tell them I'mm visiting?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am about to apply for permanent residency and my wife is sponsoring me. My visitor status is over and I got denied my extension and was denied a restoration of status because they said I could not fulfill their criteria and I'm from the US. I plan to go with my wife to NYC for a couple of weeks and then come back to reset my status. Should I take my residency receipt and paperwork to explain the situation if I need to? Or should I just tell them I'mm visiting?
I would wait until you return to Canada before you submit the application just in case you have any issues re-entering.

Yes - you can bring the evidence you've suggested with you. However I wouldn't bring this information out unless you have to and the CBSA officer starts questioning you about your intentions for coming to Canada.

jmanup85

Apr 29, 2018
I would wait until you return to Canada before you submit the application just in case you have any issues re-entering.

Yes - you can bring the evidence you've suggested with you. However I wouldn't bring this information out unless you have to and the CBSA officer starts questioning you about your intentions for coming to Canada.
Thanks a lot for the response. One other question I have is should I even bother going for a couple of weeks or should I just cross and come back in a few hours? The reasons I wouldn't want to stay for a couple of weeks is simply because my wife has some very important appointments she cannot miss and I don't want to be away from her too long.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks a lot for the response. One other question I have is should I even bother going for a couple of weeks or should I just cross and come back in a few hours? The reasons I wouldn't want to stay for a couple of weeks is simply because my wife has some very important appointments she cannot miss and I don't want to be away from her too long.
Exactly how long have you been in Canada without status?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Unfortunately crossing the border doesn’t guarantee that you can come back. Your record of extension refusal will be on your file.

jmanup85

Apr 29, 2018
I figured but I also will show I’m going to be a resident here and hopefully I can explain that I couldn’t apply earlier because we had to help her family with all our savings and they just paid us back

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It is qui
I figured but I also will show I’m going to be a resident here and hopefully I can explain that I couldn’t apply earlier because we had to help her family with all our savings and they just paid us back
Border agents don’t care if you will eventually be a PR. Did you apply inland?

jmanup85

Apr 29, 2018
It is qui

Border agents don’t care if you will eventually be a PR. Did you apply inland?
We paid the fees this week and printed the receipts but we haven’t sent in the forms yet since they advised me to have valid status. The forms are pretty much complete.

jmanup85

Apr 29, 2018
Me and the wife are so worried. Any ideas or suggestions or anything? All we say at night is we don’t wanna be apart from each other.

Linda_s74

Aug 1, 2018
The problem with leaving to reset your status is that there's a possibility that you might not be allowed back in. And that possibility is not small because your extension was already denied - meaning they've already determined that you are a risk for overstaying.
Did your extension refusal letter include anything about being able to request an extension again? If so you can try again.
If you absolutely need to stay in Canada with your wife for the duration of the sponsorship process the only guaranteed option you have is to stay here and apply for sponsorship immediately, knowing that you will not be eligible for the open work permit any time soon (6m to 1y+) and that you will not be able to leave until you are granted that permit.