+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I need help

Susansmith123

Nov 5, 2018
i came into Canada by land crossing in 2016, I am still in Canada. My boyfriend had the selling of his townhome and I decided to stay on. Now i know I am out of status and I want to apply for him to sponsor me. I have not worked or caused any issues in Canada. I want to know if I cross back into the USA and stay a few days and then cross back into Canada to reset my status and start all the paperwork correctly will I be able to come back into Canada. I just crossed originally with just my passport. Any ideas on the best way to do this

Thank you

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
i came into Canada by land crossing in 2016, I am still in Canada. My boyfriend had the selling of his townhome and I decided to stay on. Now i know I am out of status and I want to apply for him to sponsor me. I have not worked or caused any issues in Canada. I want to know if I cross back into the USA and stay a few days and then cross back into Canada to reset my status and start all the paperwork correctly will I be able to come back into Canada. I just crossed originally with just my passport. Any ideas on the best way to do this

Thank you
I'm assuming you never extended your stay and that you are a US citizen. In that case, you have been living illegally in Canada for the past 2.5 years.

You shouldn't leave Canada. If you do, you will very likely not be allowed back in.

You should file your sponsorship application while you are in Canada, and not leave till you get approved (or denied, I guess). Being out of status isn't an impediment to a spousal sponsorship, but you can expect your relationship to be very carefully scrutinized.

Susansmith123

Nov 5, 2018
I'm assuming you never extended your stay and that you are a US citizen. In that case, you have been living illegally in Canada for the past 2.5 years.

You shouldn't leave Canada. If you do, you will very likely not be allowed back in.

You should file your sponsorship application while you are in Canada, and not leave till you get approved (or denied, I guess). Being out of status isn't an impediment to a spousal sponsorship, but you can expect your relationship to be very carefully scrutinized.
Yes, I am a USA citizen. I really appreciate your reply. That is what we were thinking as well. I have heard the application process in very deep and just wanted opinions if the route you mentioned is the way to go.